Gransnet forums

House and home

Sliding Self Close Toilet Seat.

(11 Posts)
tiffaney Mon 30-May-16 10:10:28

Seems to be in an enclosed unit so we can't get at the fixings. Any ideas on how to stop it slipping?

phoenix Mon 30-May-16 10:30:04

Aren't there any bolts that you can feel underneath?

Alea Mon 30-May-16 10:35:03

Ouch!?!

Charleygirl Mon 30-May-16 10:57:53

I have the same problem- there are bolts to the side underneath but from memory, it takes the tools of a plumber for the seat etc. to stay in place. Start saving now if you think that you may need a new one- they are so expensive to buy a replacement.

phoenix Mon 30-May-16 12:35:40

I had a rogue toilet seat, when it wasn't trying to throw mw off sideways like a bucking bronco, it was slamming it's lid down on my back!

Gave up and bought a new one, about £18 at B&Q

tiffaney Mon 30-May-16 13:14:00

There are bolts underneath but you'd have to be a contortionist to reach them with any kind of tool!

Purpledaffodil Mon 30-May-16 13:30:56

There are fixings underneath the chrome thingies that look like part of the hinge. We bought a tool called a Doddler from Screwfix which makes it easy to do up loo seat fixings in strange places. Cost about £14 but very handy.
There are instructions for this type of loo seat fixing on YouTube too. Such a problem isn't it? Style over sense imho.

tiffaney Mon 30-May-16 16:46:12

Thanks Purpledaffodil, that looks like it might do the trick. Hooray for Gransnet!!

Purpledaffodil Mon 30-May-16 19:25:31

My pleasuregrin. Before I discovered the above, we paid a plumber £80 to replace the loo seat which had broken when somebody sat on the lid to dry a child from the shower. Madness! If you can't sit on a loo seat cover, why is it there? As I said, style over sense! Happy doddling!

yogagran Mon 30-May-16 20:08:11

Not such a neat solution but you could do an Amazon search for "Steady Seat"

rubylady Tue 31-May-16 02:56:12

I've just ordered a pink soft padded toilet seat, for when DS leaves and I can girly up my bathroom. grin