Gransnet forums

House and home

ebay!!

(22 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sat 18-Jun-16 17:01:44

Okay, so I decided to have a clear out of 'stuff', I am a minimalist at heart, so I started putting these treasures on ebay about 18 months ago, I'm still going strong, sell resonably well and still have things to put in the charity collections which seem to call each week in our little village and I still take items to the charity shop, what I would have thought by now, is that I would have run out of 'stuff'!! I am embarrassed to say, I still have loads, its never ending lol, anyone else??

suzied Sat 18-Jun-16 18:01:29

I'm with you ! I love selling on eBay, but also seem to buy quite a lot! My PayPal account is in profit though, so my aim is to only buy if I am in credit, so I have to have an in- out policy. My best sale: 1960s autograph book withRollingStones, and many others . Currently selling some Ercol furniture.

J52 Sat 18-Jun-16 18:17:21

I love e baying. Started years ago when an American art dealer friend told me about it. Very useful for getting rid of the inherited clutter.

I have only once had a bad experience and that was recently. I sold a very, very old, never used canteen of cutlery, it was marked with a maker, but I knew little about it. I put loads of pictures on with the description. The buyer didn't like it when they got it, wouldn't return it, even though they could get their money back and I could offer it to the under bidder. They preferred just to leave bad feedback!

Put me off a bit. Suzied I have just been buying Ercol furniture for my new cottage!

Spangles1963 Sat 18-Jun-16 18:37:44

I know exactly what you mean Kateykrunch! I started sorting out my flat about a year ago. My DD,SIL and DGD' all live with me,so it is not all my stuff. DD and I are trying to tackle it together,but she has less free time than I do,what with working part-time,having a young child to look after and a bone-idle husband,so a lot of it has fallen to me. Somehow,the stuff to be got rid of never seems to diminish. We have taken,I would estimate,about 30 bags of stuff to various charity shops,sold about another 10 bags of stuff on eBay,given away 5 bags on freecycle,and thrown away another 15 bags as rubbish. So why does it not look any less?!confused. I keep expecting the charity shop when I go in there with what seems to be the thousandth bag this year to say 'Sorry,we don't need any more stuff at the moment' and I will end up lugging it back home on the busangry. My DD and SIL have even had a couple of carboot sales in the last year,and they made about £100 each time,after deducting the site-fee,and fuel costs. But,bloody hell,they were very hard work. So,we keep plodding on,hoping that one day soon,the end will be in sight!smile

GandTea Sat 18-Jun-16 18:38:15

I feel deprived if I do not have an eBay purchase on it's way. Guitar lead arrived today -- now what can I order next ?

rosesarered Sat 18-Jun-16 18:40:12

Haver never bought or sold from ebay, am I alone in this?

annodomini Sat 18-Jun-16 19:17:42

I'm at my most vulnerable to Ebay late at night which is when I make most of my purchases. There's a pretty silk scarf on its way at the moment. I really should be sorting out my wardrobe and selling a lot of things I am unlikely to wear again. Just too lazy!

willsmadnan Sat 18-Jun-16 19:21:57

Ooh GandTea ..... is there an an eBayers Anonymous we can join? "My name is ..... and I am a compulsive eBay buyer". When there's nowt on tv I browse eBay. And dont start me on bits of 'essential' tech stuff like leads. I could start my own eBay shop.,...if I forced myself to take the photos and download them to sell. It's seems so much easier to buy than sell, so there's no hope for me really.

GandTea Sat 18-Jun-16 19:34:01

I buy all sorts of bits and pieces, it's usually quicker and cheaper than driving 16 miles into town to get stuff.

joannapiano Sat 18-Jun-16 19:58:39

No,*rosesarered*, you're not alone. I haven't either.Rest of our family do, though, and DD got two lovely leather settees from an elderly couple who lived quite near her. She collected them with her horsebox.

Kateykrunch Sun 19-Jun-16 13:12:45

Yes, it can be a real bore, photographing and listing, I write up my descriptions with all the relevant measurements in a book and compile a draft listing amd then photograph them when I can be bothered, perhaps doing 3 or 4 things at a time (I have a low boredom threshold lol).

vampirequeen Sun 19-Jun-16 21:11:12

I love ebay. I'm a night time surfer too.

I'm in withdrawal atm because I have nothing coming.

rubylady Mon 20-Jun-16 03:26:11

I love ebaying. I've got a C*******s present coming, ready wrapped hopefully so that I can just pop it into my stocking. Also waiting for hair dye, pink, and a swim dress. I did sell on ebay but am going to try the auction house near me instead, see how that goes. smile

Kateykrunch Fri 24-Jun-16 09:51:00

Vampirequeen - get buying, it might be my stuff, I mean, beautiful things you order!
Rubylady - I'll gladly gift wrap every order!
BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

Kateykrunch Tue 28-Jun-16 11:51:18

I'm just off to collect my new kitchen unit doors bought off ebay for £40 from somebody local, will hopefully give my kitchen a bit of a facelift and I will try to sell my 'old' mahogany doors to try to be cost neutral. I bought some curtains for £5 recently, they are gorgeous but didnt really fit my scheme, just sold them for £20, so our plan is working well so far. Picked up 8 brand new hard back books with 4 novels in each yesterday for the bargain price of £1.50 and when I have read them I will give them to one of our local libraries as they are now putting dontated books onto the shelves due to the current library cost cutting.

Kateykrunch Thu 30-Jun-16 09:41:51

Ooooop's, I measured my kitchen wrong and have 10 doors I don't need and I am minus 2 that I do...lthe joy of ebay!! Lol.

Greyduster Thu 30-Jun-16 11:07:35

I buy a fair amount of stuff from e bay. It's good for obscure stuff you can't seem to find anywhere else - like the roller inserts for porcelain toilet roll holders; replacement end caps for the window sills in the conservatory; Action Men smile.......

Greyduster Thu 30-Jun-16 11:08:09

smile!!!!

tiggypiro Thu 30-Jun-16 11:19:24

I too have bought things on ebay which were not quite what I wanted. I bought 6 dining chairs meant to replace some which were getting a bit wobbly. They were too large so put them in the local auction and got an extra £8. I bought 3 more but they were too upright and I still have to send them on. As they only cost £3.20 I am not too bothered. I ended up buying just what I needed from the auction for £28. Absolute bargain for what they were !
Sorry I don't have a solution to your door problem Kateykrunch other than to ask for measurements before you buy (says she who always follows her own advice!!)

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 11:54:33

I haven't ever used E Bay but DH has sold a couple of our larger household items on there but not for much money. He is currently bidding for a new Driver (golf club) it stands at 99p at the moment - there is lots of golf stuff on there but I haven't ever looked myself - I'd quite like some new ones next year I think.

Katek Thu 30-Jun-16 12:39:08

Get your local joiner to cut them to size if too big Kateykrunch, or make one out of two with a joining plate up the back if too small. Still cheaper than new kitchen!

Kateykrunch Mon 04-Jul-16 18:18:11

We have fixed the door situation, put a 400 wide (wall unit) one on and blocked off the missing 100 with false wall. It looks really good, a bargain for £40 and we have put the doors we dont need back on ebay.