Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Tax returns

(14 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 27-Jan-15 20:09:32

I always think I'm going to get it done really early, then I don't have some vital piece of info and it gets procrastinated, usually till about November but sometimes till the last minute, like this time. blush

FloNightingale Tue 27-Jan-15 15:37:24

Lol two tax returns done and dusted thank goodness

Stansgran Tue 27-Jan-15 14:47:50

I enjoy feeling smug and having it all done and dusted by the end of October. If I had to wait until January it would ruin Christmas.

FloNightingale Tue 27-Jan-15 11:05:57

Whoops sorry Elegran smile

FloNightingale Tue 27-Jan-15 11:04:56

Just sitting here filling in both our returns. Really late this year had it all ready for ages but can't seem to be bothered with it this year. Right nightowl I'm doing 2014 -2015 in April wink Glad I saw your post Elgran

nightowl Tue 27-Jan-15 10:17:24

The deadline for online returns is January Mishap, paper ones are October. I still wonder every year why I don't do it much earlier -after all, it's not compulsory to leave it till January 25th is it? grin

Mishap Tue 27-Jan-15 10:17:03

I think I have just worked it out. When I had an accountant they wanted all my stuff by October, presumably to register.

Now I am doing it myself (as the figures are so small that even I can add them up!) I guess I am ahead of myself and have already done 2013/14 and settled with them.

The next one I will fill in will be April 2014 to April 2015, and I will do that in May and get shot of it.

Mishap Tue 27-Jan-15 10:03:59

I have never understood this - my tax return is due in October. Why are people doing them in January? I wait till all the paperwork comes through from the BS and pensions people in April, then fill it in online and Bob's your uncle! How come some people do it on October and some in January? I am puzzled.

Last time they owed me money! - yippee!

I did get one thing wrong though. I entered my state pension payments wrongly as I had not realised that you get 13 payments in a year and not 12. I just looked at one month's on my bank statement and multiplied by 12. You would think I was a tax exile screwing millions in unpaid tax out of the government from the reaction I had from them!

nightowl Mon 26-Jan-15 23:40:32

I wish I only owed £1.10sad

My self employment earnings are very modest. Unfortunately HMRC have completely messed up my PAYE tax code for the last two years, so for the second year running I have ended up owing them more than I earned from my self employment work confused

durhamjen Mon 26-Jan-15 23:25:34

I did mine last year and owed them £1.10. It must cost more to process.
They are not going to get rich from chasing us up, are they? We're not going to solve the economic crisis.

MrsPickle Mon 26-Jan-15 18:52:32

I make sure mine is done and paid by early Jan. I find it very stressful!

J52 Mon 26-Jan-15 18:46:34

DH just done his and sent them under £20! He always keep a copy of the previous years, as reference. I'm under the radar! x

FarNorth Mon 26-Jan-15 18:17:07

Thanks for the extra boot up the bum, Elegran. I've had notes around the place for ages, telling me to do it bit it's still waiting. shock

Elegran Mon 26-Jan-15 18:05:55

If you pay tax and do self-assessment on-line, don't forget to send it off by the end of January.

I have just done mine, and the calculation said I was to send them £1.25. I fired it off at once, before they could change their minds.