Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-May-15 15:13:19

Helping the boomerang kids

This Morning agony aunt, Denise Robertson, worries for the 'live in' generations forced to return to their parents' houses, and those younger people who simply don't have the prospect of owning their own homes. She wonders how the government will put an end to phenomenal house prices and help young people to achieve the dream of owning the roof over their head.

Denise Robertson

Helping the boomerang kids

Posted on: Thu 14-May-15 15:13:19

(178 comments )

Lead photo

Denise Robertson

Planning my first marriage to Alex Robertson in the sixties, it never occurred to me that we wouldn't be able to own our own home. That first house was a pretty semi-detached with a lovely garden in a nice street. It cost £2,200 - well within my Merchant Navy husband's reach. We were utterly happy there. Money was tight. I cut old A-line dresses into the new straighter shape to save buying new, but we managed. Last time this house was for sale, in 2013, the asking price for it was an incredible £190,000. Thankfully my five sons were all able to get onto the property ladder but what will happen to my grandchildren?

If house prices rise in the next 30 years as they have in the last 30, the average UK home will be worth £1.2 million. The chronic shortage of housing is fuelling that rise. We currently only build half the number of homes we need. How will my grandchildren manage? There is no certainty for them. Although they are all hard-working at school or in jobs, I worry for our future generations.

Research from the National Housing Federation shows the income of the average first-time buyer today is nearly double that of an average first-time buyer in the early 1980s after accounting for inflation. And the deposit required today (£30,000) is almost ten times the deposit required in the early 1980s (around £3,000) also after accounting for inflation.

The one thing the politicians can do is make sure there are enough houses to go round. That will put an end to crazy prices and bring back that dream of all newly-weds - a home of their own. Just like I had.

And yet, what is more important to family life than a secure, affordable home? I've lost the roof over my head twice. The first time I was three months old. My elder sister, Joyce, Mum and Dad were living in Sunderland. Our lovely house was repossessed because my father's business had crashed. Most of our furniture was taken by the bailiffs. I have a little chair which they didn't take as my mother had been sitting on it. It's a symbol to me of how our family kept going. Thankfully we were given a council house, three bedrooms and a pleasant garden, where I grew up very happily. We were poor but our house was full of love. My parents adored each other.

The second time, I was 40 years old, the mother of five and this time it was my husband's business which had failed. Our bank manager loaned me, a struggling freelance writer, two thousand pounds as a deposit on a vandalised terraced house. The front window was boarded up but that house was our salvation. Over time we did it up and made it a comfortable home, but imagine the situation now. Neither of those lifelines exist today. My family would either be put on a long waiting list for social housing and be given either a B&B or a grotty private rental. As a harassed and busy mother of five, there's no way in the circumstances I was in that I'd get an advance of tens of thousands as a deposit, which is what you would need today. It would be too big a risk.

I've been the agony aunt for This Morning since the first programme in 1988. Every week, at This Morning or my other columns, I hear from people in fear of losing their homes. That's if they have one! Too many are living in sub-standard private rental accommodation, even, in one case, existing in the back seat of a car. What do I say to the veteran of several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan who bought a house ready for leaving the Regular Army? He was confident he'd walk into a job on release but there were no jobs. He couldn't keep up the mortgage and now he, his wife and four children are destined for the street. Heart breaking.

Too many young couples are 'living in' with parents in order to save for a deposit. Peoples' housing needs are individual and need individual solutions, as I well know. I support the Homes for Britain campaign to bring an end to the housing crisis within a generation. The one thing the politicians can do is make sure there are enough houses to go round. That will put an end to crazy prices and bring back that dream of all newly-weds - a home of their own. Just like I had.

Homes for Britain is a campaign calling for the end of the housing crisis within a generation. For more information and ways to get involved visit their website.

By Denise Robertson

Twitter: @HomesforBritain

durhamjen Mon 29-Jun-15 23:13:37

An interesting link from a boomerang kid who's grown up.

theninety9percent.wordpress.com/2014/05/08/a-safe-home-not-a-commodity/

It's also a plea for more council housing.

seasider Wed 03-Jun-15 00:13:04

Last year we suggested DSS and fiancee give up their flat and move back to live with us as they were struggling to save a deposit. Yesterday they moved into their brand new home. They got a 5% deposit and help to buy. They bought in an area that was not the most desirable but is being improved and they are so excited to have got on the "ladder"'

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 17:42:43

A financial advisor helped with the person I know. The financial advisor was able to say that the person was good for the money, and it helped them get a reduction on a house on the basis of that, plus it was reassurance to the house seller. Not just talking about you Riverwalk.

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 17:36:36

advisor

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 17:35:44

But use a financial advosir if you need one, and can afford one. They will you work out all figures.

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 17:33:45

It's £215,000.

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 17:30:43

I didnt mention £235,000.

Riverwalk Tue 02-Jun-15 16:25:10

soon I'm so glad that you've returned to this thread, as you never did explain how you thought that a salary of £55,00 would afford a mortgage of £235,000.

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 15:25:57

At least, done up in the areas with jobs.

soontobe Tue 02-Jun-15 15:24:49

Some people like to be in the middle of pubs, clubs, nightlife etc.

Having thought about this thread further, and going back to the op,and I think someone this upthread, there are a distinct lack of cheap houses to buy.
There are different ways of looking at that. One is that, as a direct result of the property boom, a lot of the houses, which includes smaller ones, have already been done up.

pompa Tue 02-Jun-15 08:36:50

I find it strange why anyone would want to live in a city. Our children are at opposite ends of the scale. They were both raised in a rural area, but our daughter prefers to live in a city, whilst our son lives in the wilds of North Lincolnshire and is looking to move to a more remote location. Different stroke for different folks.

AnnieGran Mon 01-Jun-15 23:49:59

Thank you Gill757 and Soontobe.
I suppose my plan would be to make London and the South East not the magnet it is now to so many people. When we lived there our favourite Sunday stroll was along the South Bank, stopping for tea and cakes and any exhibition we fancied. However, I began to realise that over the years, instead of a friendly smile here and there from other strollers, nobody passing by would look at anybody else, eye contact was never made. The realisation was quite chilling.

Then, one awful day, my mother tripped and fell while queuing up to get off a bus in Bexleyheath. Four people just stepped over her to get to the door, then the driver, pretending he hadn't seen, drove off to the next stop. Nobody helped me get her on her feet. I'm sure you would have done, dear Grannies, but you weren't there. That was when my LM (lovely man) and I decided to move to a place where people still want to know if you are OK when your curtains are not drawn back on time - like London used to be.

There is life outside London, there are loads of things to do and people smile and pat each other's dogs as they pass. LM has taken up serious photography and I am just finishing my second year at university. I always wanted a degree and now I have time. So don't stay in horrible London paying London property prices. Come and join us here - you'll find us in the pub with the locals.

pompa Sat 30-May-15 20:58:01

I made our furniture from plans in one of the many DIY mags of the day.

Ana Sat 30-May-15 19:19:35

Curtains are a high priority for me and always have been. Not worried about neighbours, I just like to be able to shut out the world on stormy nights and keep the light out of bedrooms in the early summer mornings.

soontobe Sat 30-May-15 19:16:08

Plus we live rurally. We dont have near neighbours. Curtains were a low priority for us at the time.

Ana Sat 30-May-15 19:16:05

Already have and continue to do so. But we have curtains as well...

soontobe Sat 30-May-15 19:14:06

I hired the camera for a bank holiday weeked as it was the same price to hire it for the 4 days, as the normal 2 day weekend.
I wanted my young children on film. Plus some of their relatives. Very glad we did it. Plus I got my dad on it[now died], plus the locality[changed a bit since back then] etc.
Definitely definitely worth it.
I would advise others to do the same with their grandkids.

Ana Sat 30-May-15 19:02:26

You had no curtains, but you had a video camera, soontobe? grin

I suppose it's always going to be a case of individual priorities when it comes to saving money.

soontobe Sat 30-May-15 18:54:58

I suppose we are back to the having a phone, more than 1 car, more than 1 tv etc. Having an indoor lavatory, scenario!
And I was shocked when I saw a video I made when the kids were little, of how little furniture we had. And didnt have curtains etc.

Not sure my point really. I suppose there are savings that some people could do. Some, my kids included could do drastic ones. No new clothes for 2 years unless interviews. No trips, small or otherwise,type stuff.
But not sure that is going to go much towards raising a £50k deposit in a hurry.

Happy holiday pompa <bon voyage emotion>

pompa Sat 30-May-15 18:44:15

I can only comment on my own family, my two children are far better of in many ways than we were when we were their age. They live in much ,more expensive houses and have a far better standard of living that we had.
OK we helped them through Uni which has set them up to earn good salaries (even allowing for inflation 2-3 times what I earned at their age) and they have disposable income at he end of each month, a luxury we have only had since we retired.
I mistrust any statistics, they can be presented in too many misleading ways, especially if politically motivated.
Off to the pub for dinner now - holiday starts here - under orders to leave GN alone for a week sad

trisher Fri 29-May-15 22:06:35

pompa if you look at my link on page 5 you will find that in the last 15 years house prices have risen and average salaries have fallen. So the idea that this generation are better off is a fallacy.

Ana Fri 29-May-15 21:41:14

Yes, they certainly are, but house prices are ridiculously high and earnings haven't increased enough for lenders to be anything but super-cautious.

I'm amazed at how much rent is expected for a flat or three bedroomed semi, though, even in not particularly affluent areas. It seems young people can't win whatever they do...

pompa Fri 29-May-15 21:00:58

OK. perhaps I could have worded in more precisely.
It started at 9% in the 60's and rose to peak at 14% (as you say that was in the 80's) Is that clearer ?
My point was that the rates now are far less than when we were paying back our mortgage from the 60's through to the 90's.

Ana Fri 29-May-15 20:43:00

The last sentence in your post of 20.09.

Ana Fri 29-May-15 20:41:30

No one has mention the astronomical interest rates on mortgages in the 60's. Ours started at 9% and rose to around 14%

That was the post I was replying to, pompa.