Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Is there a safe place to store Bank Account Passwords and PIN numbers?

(14 Posts)
Oopsadaisy1 Thu 11-Apr-24 12:02:18

At the moment, discounting family birthdays and notable dates we are struggling to come up with any new PIN numbers that we will easily remember for the future, so we are resorting to random (ish) numbers that we probably won’t remember, so writing a hint in a book won’t help.

Can anyone recommend a secure app or something that will save password and PIN numbers, meaning that we will just have the one password and pin to remember? Ive seen several on the Internet but I don’t know anyone who has used them.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 11-Apr-24 12:47:46

We have Google Chrome, which reliably saves passwords.

Theexwife Thu 11-Apr-24 13:37:34

I use an ipad so mine are stored in iCloud and keychain.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 11-Apr-24 14:04:37

I have Google Chrome on the iPad and the laptop.

welbeck Thu 11-Apr-24 17:43:49

google chrome also creates passwords as well as storing them.
lots of squiggles etc.
i find it v useful.
as long as nobody can get into your laptop . . .

fancythat Thu 11-Apr-24 18:59:38

Personally, I wouldnt dream of putting my passwords on a computer, all stored together somewhere.

Nor do the one password and pin[dh did that against my advice, and you can guess the rest. He forgot what it was or/and messed it up, and it causde him no end of problems for about a month.

merlotgran Thu 11-Apr-24 20:09:44

Just don’t do what I did and conceal them as telephone numbers in an address book.

One year I sent Christmas cards to Barbara Banks and Penny Pinner! 😳

Wheniwasyourage Thu 11-Apr-24 20:30:49

Write them down in a notebook! A burglar is not going to ransack your house for your passwords. If your house burns down you’re probably going to have to reset them anywsy when your phone or computer is replaced by the insurance company, but hey- you’ll have other things to worry about too. grin

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Apr-24 07:35:16

Merlot😂 I just do it in phone numbers. I haven’t actually needed to ring them yet. I expect I’d just get the usual message.
This number is not recognised!

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Apr-24 07:47:59

Phone numbers sounds an idea although I’m sure I’ll end up trying to call them them when I forget what they mean too, Merlotgran.
I have bookshelves full of books so concealing them in a notebook, would be a very good idea.
The passwords haven’t been a problem so far as the iPad saves them it’s the Pin Numbers that don’t get saved.

Having said that I had to ring one of the banks yesterday as the text they now send to your phone didn’t arrive, (despite them sending it 3 times) seems I’d got a digit wrong on my phone number, I couldn’t even get that right! I get so anxious doing banking online that I got in a real muddle.
Doesn’t bode well for the next round of opening accounts.

Does Google Chrome save PIN numbers GSDM ?

I’m very wary of storing everything in a special Internet location unless someone I trust has used it, hence my post.

When we came back from holiday we had a message from HMRC, so I went to get my trusty book of passwords and realised that I had hidden it, it took me days to find the blasted book.

Thankyou lovely ladies, telephone numbers and a book on the bookshelf will be my way forward I think.

Now we just have to come up with the actual passwords and PIN numbers, easier now I know I can look them up.

Missedout Fri 12-Apr-24 10:15:35

You could consider paying for a secure password manager if you have lots of passwords. Only one password needed and accessible from any of your devices.

Re-using the same password increases your risk of being hacked. The main vulnerability is not on your device but with the services you access. Your data are held encrypted by your password. The more complicated your passwords, the less likely you are to have your password and data exposed when hackers use powerful computers to crack passwords and view the data held about you. Think about what infotmation you supply to use online services and consider your risk. Then decide how complex your passwords need to be and if you should change them regularly.

Franbern Fri 12-Apr-24 11:33:27

I have a standard Telephone Index book pages marked A to Z .
All passwords and Pin numbers etc are written down there, so very many of them. The chances of any burglar getting in to my flat, taking my laptop and knowing about this index book and where it is kept, etc is more than remote. On the other hand, my adult children DO know about it and they use it when carrying out any work on my computer, alexa, smart phone etc.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Apr-24 12:20:35

I’m going to buy a small A-Z notebook this weekend. And keep it on my bookcase. Easy to access. As you all say the chances of being burgled (especially here, 2 floors up) are very remote. Thinking up new passwords is making me nervous in case I forget them. This will be my solution!

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Apr-24 15:44:08

My iPad makes up my passwords so no chance of remembering them, but it doesn’t store PIN numbers.

I had a spare address book and spent this morning filling it in with addresses and bank account details, it’s now in the muddle of the book case , let’s hope we remember what it looks like.

Thanks for the ideas folks.