Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Do you live in Kent?

(95 Posts)
nanapug Fri 19-Aug-11 18:15:07

Am I the only person on here who lives in Kent? Sure I can't be.....

Anagram Fri 03-Aug-12 16:42:59

blush Actually I don't think you have to save it - just click on 'I'm On' to see where you've posted!

Littlenellie Fri 03-Aug-12 16:47:35

Hi Londoner welcome to Gransnet..nice to meet you.

Nonu Fri 03-Aug-12 17:03:53

Wlcome LONDONER ,. it doesn"t take tooooo long to get the hang of it . Hopefully you get a lot of laughs here , we do our best ! flag for Britain

Londoner Fri 03-Aug-12 22:02:22

Thank you all very much.

Finding it a bit difficult to navigate around here at the moment. Hope I can master it.

yogagran Fri 03-Aug-12 22:21:38

Click on "watch this thread" near the top of the page, then you can find any threads that you're watching by checking through the "watching" on the top bar just underneath "Gransnet Forums" - easy peasy, you'll soon get the hang of it and be using it frequently as you get more and more draw in to the addiction of GN. Welcome by the way!
I live in West Sussex although born and grew up in Kent, just south of Maidstone

Nonu Sat 04-Aug-12 10:03:19

Course you can LONDONER, give it time flag

JayP Sun 19-Aug-12 20:49:40

Hi I live in Kent just outside Dover. I lived in Ramsagte for many years as do my family still.

Greatnan Mon 20-Aug-12 07:25:26

I have just attended my grandson's wedding at St. Margaret's at Cliffe. I used to live in St. Margaret's Bay and I had forgotten how pretty the area is.
I have also lived in Bearsted, near Maidstone, and Rainham. My daughters lived in Ash and Shepherdswell. The problem I found in living in that corner of the UK is that you have to use the M2 or M20 to get out of it!

baNANA Mon 20-Aug-12 12:13:24

Londoner, I'm so jealous I just love Tenterden.

Annobel Mon 20-Aug-12 12:46:22

No, Greatnan, the other way out of Kent is over - or under - the Channel grin.

Trish45 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:48:33

Hi NANNYMAGS. I have just recently moved to Ramsgate, but lived in Westgate and Broadstairs so know the area somewhat, and wondered if you knew of any social clubs in the area for "oldies". I am bored out of my tree as it can be a week or so without seeing anyone, except I find I am yakking to strangers whilst grocery shopping!!! I do, of course, keep in touch with the world via telephone. I am not in the best of health, so no long rambles, no long bus/train journeys, but I do need to socialize a little more. Would you please let me know if you have any suggestions/advice. Thank you.
Trish

Sweetpea2 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:36:49

Hi all brew
I am in Rainham Kent

Thurgy Sun 10-Mar-13 17:19:54

Hi Everyone in Kent, I live in a village close to Sevenoaks, born a Londoner, Born and lived in North London until 1957 when my husband and I managed to put a deposit on our first home in Kent. Since the death of my husband I have llived in this village for the last eight years. I think I am getting to know the rest of the community!!!!! Most of the residents have been born and bred here so it takes a while to fit in. I`m getting there!

ninathenana Sun 10-Mar-13 17:34:25

I'm on Isle of Sheppey. Lucky me sad
Born and brought up here, would love to move.

numberplease Sun 10-Mar-13 17:37:34

Nina, a friend of mine lives on Sheppey, at Minster-on-Sea, and loves it, although she and her partner hail from Liverpool and Yorkshire.

ninathenana Mon 11-Mar-13 18:11:17

number OH was born and brought up in London. He loves the peace and quiet. I do prefer it to London.

Primrose Sat 30-Mar-13 18:24:18

I moved to Wateringbury in Kent about two years ago but now thinking of moving again as both sons have moved North!

alana2003 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:11:54

Hello there just joined this site heard about it on the local radio. I live in Folkestone we go under those arches nearly every day .MY HUBBY AND i DO A COURIER round all around the harbour and Wearbay Rd lovely to drive around

alana2003 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:13:23

Hello Thurgy WE have found it hard to make friends we are from Bham and everyone is so friendley up there

numberplease Mon 08-Apr-13 15:45:01

Welcome alana2003. Only been to Folkestone once, it was on a Sunday, and there was a great market on the seafront.

gramps Mon 08-Apr-13 16:39:29

Good afternoon Ladies.
I live at Horn's Cross, between Dartford and Gravesend.
Bluewater Shopping Centre is about 100 yds from our back garden , but we have over a mile to reach there by car!
Stone Castle is nearby and Stone Church is 13th century, built by the builders of Westminster Abbey. It is known as the "Lantern of Kent" as it was used for navigation by river traffic.
The Church recently had a new peal of six bells.(We are still collecting for them, along with a new Church Room!)
If you are interested, the Email addy is [email protected]

alana2003 Tue 09-Apr-13 19:39:56

Yes there is a market on Sunday on the seafront. WE prefer to go to car boots .They are cheaper went to one at Hythe on Sunday Where do you live now

numberplease Tue 09-Apr-13 20:48:55

I live in Boston, we were on a few days holiday at St. Margarets-at-Cliff, and drove into Folkestone because we`d been told about the market by friends on Sheppey. Afraid we didn`t rate the place itself very much, but I believe there`s been some re-juvenation since then? Plus it was raining, which didn`t help much.

janerowena Wed 22-May-13 11:27:31

Reviving this thread purely because it was so nice to see all the names again. I was born and brought up in Kent and my daughter moved back there when she left Uni, to Maidstone. I moved around a fair bit while I was there - most of my life was spent in Tunbridge Wells but I also lived in Bromley, Knockholt, Maidstone, Pratt's Bottom (I know...) Leeds, (No not that one) Headcorn, Coxheath, Linton, Chainhurst and all over the country after that. I would love to return, but rarely manage more than a couple of nights a year down there as my house is larger than my daughter's and they all come up here to stay. I would find it hard to pick an area, but I always thought that one day I would retire to either Cranbrook, Tenterden or just over the border into Winchelsea or Rye. My mother lives in Battle and I miss the whole area so much, especially all of my old friends who I rarely get to see. Time and distances have reduced us to birthday cards and Christmas cards and the odd email, with very little time for longer visits and their ill health making me feel very guilty at times for having moved away from the area. I don't think we could afford to live down there again, at least not in such a nice house.

I miss being able to stand in my friend's field and count seven different oast houses as I turn in a circle.

Rowantree Wed 20-Nov-13 22:33:22

I'm on the Surrey/Kent borders - I live in Shirley, Surrey, but we're minutes away from West Wickham. We sometimes go to West Malling - there's a lovely place there called The Swan and we go to the Bazaar in the barn there when it's on. Love the Weald and often visit the countryside round about. Anyone near Ightham or Penshurst? Or Bromley?