Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Scotrail return between any Scottish stations for £19 (£35 in first class)

(74 Posts)
Elegran Wed 25-Feb-15 19:53:11

I've just booked a ticket to Aviemore for a few days, and found that until the end of March it only costs me £19 return. It would have been £39.60 one way.

Is there scope here for a meetup in Aberdeen or Inverness between March 11 and March 30th? Or anywhere else? It's would be a pity to miss a bargain.

Tegan Thu 26-Feb-15 16:08:11

Trainer wheels!! I saw some for the first time yesterday [I lead a very sheltered life]. This young girl walked past me in town then suddenly took off..whooosh. How do people walk in them?

Elegran Thu 26-Feb-15 16:08:46

KateK I would be fine with light lunch, but Marelli and Elizabeth1 will fade away without sustenance. (They are so frail, you know . . . grin When we were getting afternoon tea once they had to eat a large lunch first in case they didn't make it through to 3 pm )

Marelli Thu 26-Feb-15 17:05:41

You are just a 'clype' (sp), Elegran!! gringrin

Marelli Thu 26-Feb-15 17:10:26

Did you not say that the train you're getting doesn't come through Fife, Elegran? I've got to go out in a minute (going to the cinema to see the Second Best Marigold Hotel)! I'll have another look at the website when I get back. Elizabeth1 hasn't got back to me yet - she'll be busy as she goes on her holidays tomorrow!

Elegran Thu 26-Feb-15 17:45:10

Marelli I can only see a 9.44 going through Markinch to reach Dundee at 10.20. My 9.29 from Edinburgh gets to Dundee at 10.33 and Aberdeen at 11.46 - you must have to change onto it at Dundee. 13 minutes to wait for the connection.

Katek Thu 26-Feb-15 19:07:23

I'll have a think and come back with some suggestions. Rustico's is nice if you like Italian. Be back later.

Elegran Thu 26-Feb-15 19:18:35

Thanks Katek

Katek Thu 26-Feb-15 20:27:20

I've come up with a shortlist of 4 which you could Google. They're all central so just short taxi ride from the station.

Rustico
Merchant Bistro
Jamie's (could be noisy!!)
Moonfish Cafe (Masterchef Professional runner up Brian McLeish works there)

Let me know what you all think.

Elizabeth1 Thu 26-Feb-15 22:17:47

I'm up for the 23rd - there must be a train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen though. I've been been to Aberdeen often, my daughter lives there and I've bussed it, got the train and/or car. I'll have a look when I've arrived in Tenerife tomorrow sunshine Woohoo and I'm meeting a new gransneter while I'm there.

Elegran Thu 26-Feb-15 22:58:10

There are trains from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, but to get from Fife to Aberdeen that morning by lunchtime you will have to change at Dundee. At Dundee you can join me on the Ed-Ab train.

Can I reserve all the seats in one go? Then we would be sure of sitting together.

Elizabeth1 Fri 27-Feb-15 06:54:54

That sounds good to me Elegran Would you have to pay for the tickets too? Thank you - it'll be a great day out. I just love Aberdeen. Must get up and on now. Places to go people to see smile Anne - I'll rely on your wisdom to get me on the right train. You know what I'm like - if I don't press the door to open I'll be forced to stay on the train until the next station. Like I did once before. wink

Katek Fri 27-Feb-15 08:51:24

Am out all day today but happy to book restaurant this evening if we can confirm date/time/venue

Marelli Fri 27-Feb-15 09:47:21

Elegran, that would be good if you could do that. How do we pay you? Can I send you a cheque? Oh and I do have a Senior Railcard (don't think Elizabeth1 has got round to getting one yet). I think that will knock a couple of pounds off the price of the ticket.
I'm wondering if Maggiemaybe has seen this thread - and can anyone remember another GN'er who was looking for members in the Dundee/Perth area? Something's ringing a bell with me....

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Fri 27-Feb-15 10:03:25

Looking for fellow Gran members in the West of Scotland.
Saw the thread of some Grans meeting up in Aberdeen and would love to be able to do same with some from my area.

Elegran Fri 27-Feb-15 10:12:20

This one is now filling up with stuff about the Aberdeen meetup, BiNtHeReDuNiT14 (are you sure that is your usernamer and not your password? smile )

Why not start a new thread with a title that names your area specifically? Then you can plan it separately.

If you select "forums" (under the flag at the top of the page) you will find a list of topics, where you can select "Meetups" and then start the new thread.

Enjoy the meetup!

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Fri 27-Feb-15 10:53:54

Hi Elegran Thankyou for your reply. I am slowly finding my way around site.
Yes that is my username..Thanks for your suggestion I will try it.

Elegran Sat 28-Feb-15 21:06:24

KateK Sorry I've not posted with a preference on your eateries. I shall have a good look tomorrow.

Marelli Sat 28-Feb-15 21:33:14

I've had a look at Rustico's lunch menu and it looks really good! smile

Elegran Sat 28-Feb-15 22:10:52

Yes it does, doesn't it.

thatbags Sun 01-Mar-15 09:53:08

I'd love to come to this meetup but am still working out logistics....

Is there still room for another if I can make it?

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 10:05:03

Of course! There's always room for you, Bags You're just a wee thing.

thatbags Sun 01-Mar-15 10:16:52

Thanks, elegran grin

I'm trying to decide if I should do a two-part journey in both directions, as it's a long way from the boggy brae to Aberdeen.

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 10:20:38

If it is easier to come via Edinburgh for your two-parter, I have a spare bed. (I'll have to move a ton of stuff off it, but that is normal)

thatbags Sun 01-Mar-15 10:28:42

Thank you! Please may I accept that kind offer.

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 10:32:52

I'll start shifting stuff at once.