Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Blackpool holiday coming up

(20 Posts)
multicolourswapshop Wed 30-Aug-23 08:30:24

Good morning everyone are there any Gransnet’s in Blackpool I’m going there on 11th september for a few days perhaps we can meet up

ParlorGames Wed 30-Aug-23 15:49:59

I'm not in the Blackpool area but I found your post lurking in the Unanswered section and thought it was such a shame that no one had commented.
I do hope you manage to arrange a meet-up and have a lovely time in Blackpool. smile

Mizuna Wed 30-Aug-23 18:22:12

Oh dear multi, no-one seems to live near Blackpool! If you ever come to Cornwall I'll meet up with you. brew

Soozikinzi Wed 30-Aug-23 18:47:32

We're going to Blackpool in November to watch Bodyguard. I saw it in manchester with my friends but liked it so much I'm watching it again with my DH. It's lovely now near the Winter Gardens they've spent alot of money on that part.

Ailidh Wed 30-Aug-23 19:12:39

I live just up the road in Ansdell but I'm away that week sad

Enjoy! I Love the Blackpool coast!!

multicolourswapshop Thu 31-Aug-23 05:18:10

Thank you Mizuna and parlorgames my daughter was in Cornwall last year and loved it.I’ll let you know should I get to your neck of the woods, the company I use who provide their own carers have a trip to Tenerife next year think I’ll be going there I’m sure I’ll enjoy Blackpool I’ve been there several times pre stroke and had such fun went to the gay club famous for putting on a cabaret show so professional even went to the ballroom in the tower many years ago. I’ll let you know how I get on this time it’s been years since I last visited Blackpool

Bonnybanko Sun 17-Mar-24 04:42:11

Here’s my holiday in Blackpool I loved it there I had a fab time

Curtaintwitcher Sun 17-Mar-24 06:49:21

Hope you have a good time. I'm not far away from Blackpool, but prefer Lytham myself...more classy and the beach is cleaner.

Primrose53 Sun 17-Mar-24 09:36:59

There was an article in the DM just yesterday or the day before about how run down Blackpool is now. There are loads of photos which don’t lie!

I went there just once with my daughter to see the lights. It was about 20 years ago and it was awful. The worst fish and chips we ever had. Women shopping in pyjamas and big rollers in their hair, drunken girls in pink cowboy hats and shorts on hen parties. It also rained all weekend. It was just our worst nightmare and I would never return.

Geezee Wed 17-Apr-24 15:59:06

I’m in Blackpool for a few days from Saturday 27th April if any woman wants a meet up

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 16:10:13

Any woman?

Geezee Sun 21-Apr-24 13:07:25

Any woman yes

Iam64 Sun 21-Apr-24 13:24:22

Blackpool is one of the most deprived areas in the northwest. High levels of ill health , drug/alcohol addiction, mental health problems and unemployment. It’s suffered from the same kind of decline as many of our previously happy sea side towns.
It’s also suffered from a corrupt mp, much like its neighbour, Lytham

Iam64 Sun 21-Apr-24 13:27:13

multicilouredswapshop, walking the length of the prom is fun, often very breezy. I don’t know if you’re a frequent visitor in which case you’ll know the town well. Enjoy your visit

Labradora Sun 21-Apr-24 13:43:10

Iam64

It's extraordinary how things have changed over 60 years(or perhaps not now I've realised how much time has passed). I was brought up in the N West and Blackpool was a posh day out at the Seaside! Routine days at the beach were spent at New Brighton but Blackpool was something special.
Terrible shame, this.

Nannan2 Sun 21-Apr-24 13:46:52

Yes sadly Blackpool very rub down,añd a ĺotof places shut.

Nannan2 Sun 21-Apr-24 13:47:20

*RUN down.lol

ayse Sun 21-Apr-24 13:51:45

We went to Blackpool for the lights 2 years ago. It seemed mostly run down except for the centre and the promenade. I preferred Lythem. The centre was well kept. It’s such a shame to see these once great resorts so reduced.

pably15 Sun 21-Apr-24 13:54:04

when we were younger ,during the school holidays there were bus trips to Blackpool, and at the september weekend,,,in Scotland, there were 3 or 4 buses left our small town headed for Blackpool...

Iam64 Sun 21-Apr-24 13:54:32

I agree Labradora and Nannan2, it’s such a shame. It’s a special pity that some people sneer about it. My grandparents saved all year to take their children to Blackpool for a weeks holiday. It needs great investment and some kind of quirk to attract families or groups . Whitby has Goths, witches and Star Wars. Morecambe had, then lost Womad but still has the Midland and its beautiful bay. Blackpool has the pleasure beach and the tower plus fantastic beaches. The poverty and deprivation is sadly more evident than in the smaller resorts
Let’s hope some clever entrepreneur comes up with a cunning plan