Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Marriage Allowance

(31 Posts)
PeterJ Sat 21-Feb-15 11:34:03

"If your income is less than £10,600 in 2015/16 tax year you may be able to reduce your husband, wife, civil partner's tax by up to £212."
"You maybe able to claim Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:
1. My wife has an annual income (State Pension) of much much less than £10,600
2. I have an annual income (State and other Pensions) of between £10,601 and £42,385.
3. we were both born on or after 6 April 1935.

My question is: Is it worth while registering now to get an email telling me when she or I can claim Marriage Allowance allowing my wife to transfer some of her Personal Allowance to me?

PeterJ Sat 21-Feb-15 11:51:51

I have a 'War Disability Pension'. War Disability Pensions are Tax Free.

My question is: When working out my Annual Income does the Tax Free War Disability Pension count as a part of my Annual Income?

grannyactivist Sat 21-Feb-15 12:01:34

Hello PeterJ and welcome to Gransnet. I know next to nothing about this, but it seems you have nothing to lose by registering so I would do it.

shabby Sun 22-Feb-15 11:01:45

I have read about this in the press and registered interest. One of us is not a taxpayer so worthwhile spending a couple of minutes filling in some forms to save £212 I would say.

glammanana Sun 22-Feb-15 15:08:41

Well worth registering it if you apply but as they are "Tax Free" the amount would most likely be discounted on the total income calculation certainly worth asking the question,do you have a link for information it may tell you there.

annsixty Fri 06-Mar-15 12:25:59

I have just registered my interest on HMC 's website and received an e-mail stating Iwill receive a form to complete online in up to 14 weeks.

annsixty Fri 06-Mar-15 12:33:06

That should have been HMRC.

GrannyTwice Fri 06-Mar-15 12:45:49

This is not a 'goady' question, and I would certainly register if I could benefit, but what do people think about having a marriage allowance again? I know there are other benefits for marriage such as exemption from inheritance tax. I just wonder what people thought?

J52 Fri 06-Mar-15 13:14:19

I rememeber in the early 70s when i worked full time, I could claim DH"s allowance because he was a full time student and earnt nothing. x

Nonnie Fri 06-Mar-15 13:27:51

Not directly related to the OP but just in case anyone doesn't know, if you don't pay tax you can fill in HMRC's form R85 and send to anyone you have savings with and they will not deduct tax from the interest.

mollie65 Fri 06-Mar-15 13:36:50

the thing is - a 'couple' already get twice a single person's tax allowance and can arrange their finances accordingly.
the people who miss out massively whether it be IHT or tax allowances are single people (whether by choice or bereavement) shock
the idea of each person having a personal allowance (now 10k ) was to stop the whinging of being treated as an adjunct of one part of the couple - you can't have it both ways.
nonnie I too have seen that if your taxable income is less than 15K there is the possibility of receiving up to £5k additional savings interest tax-free - of course that begs the question how much do you need to have in savings to take full advantage of it hmm - starts from the new tax year.

GrannyTwice Fri 06-Mar-15 14:00:16

But under the present system, whether married or unmarried , the ability to rearrange tax affairs is exactly the same. An example I can think of would be the savings of the person earning over the tax threshold being transferred to the one under the tax threshold. What this does is give an advantage to married couples and that is what I sm wondering about

shabby Tue 05-May-15 10:23:01

I registered interest in the marriage allowance mid Feb and apart from an update email at the end of March have not heard anything further about applying for this allowance even though it is now a month into the new tax year. I just wondered if anyone has been able to claim this yet?

annsixty Tue 29-Sep-15 09:56:50

I am reanimating this thread to say I received an e-mail yesterday to claim the transfer and I have just submitted it.It took less than 5 minutes and I needed both our National Insurance numbers, my date of birth and the last 4 numbers of the account my pension is paid into.I thought this may be useful for anyone still not aware of the fact that a transfer can be made.

rosequartz Tue 29-Sep-15 10:02:40

I don't think it just applies to those born before 1935 does it?- I could be wrong.

rosequartz Tue 29-Sep-15 10:04:04

Pleased that you got it, annsixty smile

annsixty Tue 29-Sep-15 10:07:13

rosequartz no, we were both born after 1935 (just) grin

annsixty Tue 29-Sep-15 10:10:11

One partner just needs an income of less than £10,600 and married or in a civil partnership.

Gagagran Tue 29-Sep-15 10:55:25

We applied and got it straight away and have had a refund of the tax overpaid so far this tax year. In my view it's always worth reclaiming tax if possible.

nannymoocow Tue 03-Nov-15 13:25:29

I tried to do this online unsuccessfully. Tried ringing them, just couldn't get through after 1 call of an hour and another of 45 minutes. Completed the form on the page giving details and received an email saying they would call me back at a time convenient to me! Hopefully I will get my call Thursday???

Alima Tue 03-Nov-15 14:26:49

Having fairly recently given up my part time job my DH and I fit the criteria to claim the marriage allowance. I tried to complete the form on line but because the figures requested were for the tax year 2013/2014 it was obvious that I would not have qualified. I phoned HMRC, was asked for my NI number and my OH's. The matter was sorted immediately and my husband has since had a change in tax code with the change taking place from the beginning of the tax year.

Alima Tue 03-Nov-15 14:30:47

Nannymoocow have just read your message. I have always found that it is easier to get a reply from HMRC if you ring them at the start of the working day, say 08.00 to 08.30. Used to work in a pay office and often had to phone them

ninathenana Tue 03-Nov-15 14:55:46

I don't have an income. DH fits the criteria, can we claim?

annsixty Tue 03-Nov-15 15:09:08

Nina if you have no income you will be able to give him your allowance.I don't think your H has to fit any criteria apart from paying tax. Just google HMRC /Marriage allowance.

ninathenana Tue 03-Nov-15 15:41:49

Thankyou annsixty I'm on to it.