Gransnet forums

Chat

Renting a campervan in Australia

(13 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 06-Apr-14 19:04:18

What a nightmare to find clear costs and what is covered in the cost.
Not only do the sites not give clear details, the terms and conditions are so complex and go on for page after page I can't understand how anyone can make sense of any of it.
I just want to know what the basic cost is, what insurance cover I get with this and how much it costs to reduce the liability of an accident.
And what is the bond about up to $7500 that you have to pay, if you return the vehicle without damage you get your money back but you could have lost money because of the exchange rate.
It all sounds like a complete rip off to me.
Can anyone recommend a company who are transparent.
One of the Australian consumer groups said to avoid Avis, Budget and Eurocar because they exclude important details in their information.
HELP

annsixty Sun 06-Apr-14 19:53:29

I have no experience at all so can't help but when neighbours did this some years ago they stayed in motels now and again for the experience of bathrooms and comfy beds and said if they went again they would just rent a car and use motels all the time.They felt it would be cheaper and more comfortable all round.

tiggypiro Sun 06-Apr-14 20:18:05

Oh golly jeanie99 - my friend and I will hopefully be arranging such a trip in the near future. We usually ask Trailfinders to organise everything but have been told it is much cheaper to do it ourselves. After reading your post I think it will be Trailfinders again ! I would be interested in any help and advice you could offer.

numberplease Sun 06-Apr-14 20:42:30

Maybe Joan can help, is she still around?

Iam64 Mon 07-Apr-14 10:04:12

jeannie99 - young people in our family and friends group who've travelled in Australia all talk about the high cost of living. I'm told that some buy a used camper van and then sell it on when they leave Oz.

petra Tue 08-Apr-14 11:32:14

My D bought her camper in OZ. they had no problem selling it.
I had the same problem when looking at hiring in the US. Gave up in the end.

Faye Tue 08-Apr-14 12:27:05

I agree it might be best to buy a used camper and sell it at the end of your trip. My daughter and SIL bought a used van privately three years ago for around $22,000, it was in great condition and has plenty of room for them and their two daughters. They had to travel to Melbourne from Adelaide to pick it up but were very happy with it.

rosequartz Tue 08-Apr-14 21:07:18

We haven't done a great deal of travelling around, but most campsites we have been to seem to have rooms you can stay in, fairly basic, some are just wooden chalet-type but fine. We have done this when we have been with DD and SIL who have their own (very expensive) campervan.
Of course, you would still have to buy or hire a car.

Australia is very expensive for a lot of things these days, but the exchange rate is a bit better for us now than the last couple of years.

I have seen backpackers buying and selling vehicles at the side of the road! If they're sensible they would then take them to a nearby garage to be checked out.

I would be very careful if you buy one, distances are huge and if it should break down you could be miles from help. However, there are lots of 'Grey Nomads' on the road who would probably stop and help!

rosequartz Tue 08-Apr-14 21:45:55

Just asked DD and SIL who are here in the UK at the moment
They suggested trying Britz, who will hire them out cheaply because they want them delivered back to their place of origin, eg Cairns back to Sydney. Depends if you have a particular itinerary you want to follow.

If you are going for six months or a year they advise it's best to buy one and re-sell it.

morethanthis Tue 16-Sep-14 10:04:09

does anyone have suggestions for a month's property rental in Adelaide. We went out to visit our grandchildren last year and stayed with the family. They are in a smaller rental property now, so we need to look for something else if we want to go back.

It is very expensive over there and most rentals are long term, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has rented for a month or six weeks say.

Faye Tue 16-Sep-14 11:26:59

morethanthis I am from Adelaide, there are places available such as Midway Apartments, which are situated between the city centre and Glenelg. The reviews look okay, the weekly price is reasonable and the suburb is fine, but probably would be no good if your family live miles away.

morethanthis Fri 19-Sep-14 17:08:23

thanks Faye
I will look into that - cheers
Morag

ChrisinCanberra Sat 20-Sep-14 02:18:45

There's a useful website www. gumtree.com.au that lists everything including accommodation (Rent/Buy/Short term etc) with sections for all States and Territories - including of course Adelaide (SA). Might be worth to check it out.