Gransnet forums

Chat

M&S Sparks card

(67 Posts)
Nansypansy Thu 31-Dec-15 12:43:52

Is it me, or does anyone know what you're supposed to do with your 'Sparks'?? I had an email encouraging me to log on and see what my current 'offers' are ...... Errrrrrrr?? 20% off sarnies (which I never buy) and other lickle bits off of foodie stuff which again I never buy, or a preview of stock coming in. Unless it's me, I can't see the point of this particular loyalty card.

Pittcity Thu 31-Dec-15 12:50:15

Me neither. I have never used any of the offers and the Sale preview had nothing I wanted.
Having to choose your offer every couple of weeks is too much of a palaver.
It is just a way for them to track your spending habits.

rosequartz Thu 31-Dec-15 13:04:15

I keep refusing a Sparks card, but then the assistant on the checkout told me that they would be replacing the voucher system and I would need to take one out shortly or miss out on my % money-back.

annsixty Thu 31-Dec-15 13:12:09

I am another one who hasn't taken advantage of the offers and also have stopped looking but thanks for the heads up about replacing the vouchers. I had £50 worth to spend at Christmas.

Teetime Thu 31-Dec-15 14:39:11

No I don't know how to use it either- I hand it over they swipe it I get e-mails telling me I have an offer to choose I choose it (food) and when I buy food nothing happens- its me isn't it?

ninathenana Thu 31-Dec-15 14:41:16

I didn't even know there was such a thing smile

rosequartz Thu 31-Dec-15 15:30:01

I'm not sure if that is correct though annsixty, it was told to me by a relatively new employee at a new food store.
I think your vouchers have an expiry date on the back if you have a look.

HildaW Thu 31-Dec-15 15:48:39

Have got one for all the good it does. You have to be very pro-active and regularly select 'offers' also I never remember to use it in store...unlike other retailers, M&S staff never ask for it....so all in all its pretty useless.

CaroL10 Thu 31-Dec-15 17:25:53

Interested to read that other G'ners have had much the same experience of Sparks as I have. Found one Sparks offer a few weeks back that was an improvement on 20% off sarnies i.e £10 off food if you spent £50 so decided to use it. At the check out no £10 off appeared. Supervisor appeared,interrogated till and told me I'd opened it, selected it but hadn't saved it. Grrrrrrr! Have been told that giving more details of yourself ( for 25 more Sparks) will help a lot to personalise offers but not sure I can be bothered....

TerriBull Thu 31-Dec-15 17:34:15

I have recently got one of these and now they email me constantly. Wondering if it's like Nectar. I tend to let the points on that card accrue and then redeem them around Christmas in Sainsburys Every little helps grin or is that Tesco?

J52 Thu 31-Dec-15 17:34:47

I didn't bother to activate mine. I like loyalty cards like the Boots one. Swipe it and then use the points. Makes life simple!

x

loopylou Thu 31-Dec-15 18:07:11

I've got one, apparently I have 6000 points/sparkles/whatevers but no idea what benefits they bring confused
I definitely don't buy sandwiches/ champagne/ party platters so starting to think it's a gimmick. I certainly haven't had any discounts on anything so rather bemused.

GadaboutGran Thu 31-Dec-15 18:49:55

Not as good as the Waitrose card where I get instant gratification with the free coffee, paper & money off at the till. I also dislike the other M&S money off if you spend so much in about a week's time. I either forget or lose them or don't find them until I'm past the till.
I do however like the Oxfam M&S £5 off vouchers, though increasingly no good because of the number of sales & %age off goods available which don't count in the £35 min spend. Wish they'd just cut the prices & save the hassle.

janeainsworth Thu 31-Dec-15 19:04:47

There is a solution to all these problems.
Just don't shop at Marks and Spencer.
I can't remember the last time I did.

Elrel Thu 31-Dec-15 19:12:55

Glad I'm not the only one to be confused by Sparks!

Ana Thu 31-Dec-15 19:42:13

I agree that the simple 'points' accrual system is the best. You can use Boots points to buy most things in their shops and at least the Tesco Clubcard gives you cash coupons as well as money-off vouchers.

cornergran Thu 31-Dec-15 19:47:52

Chose - and saved - my offer for 20% off sandwiches as we planned an 'in car picnic'. The sandwiches in the offer weren't available! Give up now.

rosequartz Thu 31-Dec-15 20:11:30

I am not taking a Sparks card out. I rarely buy clothes there now, mainly food.

Perhaps if we all rebel they will think again.

Indinana Thu 31-Dec-15 20:15:01

I had very little interest in bothering with this pointless card, and I have even less inclination after reading all of your accounts tchhmm. Don't even know what I did with mine. And I don't care tchgrin

Pittcity Sun 17-Jan-16 12:54:47

Just had an interesting email from Marks telling me that I could get coffee and cake for £3 tomorrow if I showed my Sparks card and that a few lucky card holders should listen out for the door bell as they may be having a bouquet delivered.
Now should I go into town for coffee and risk missing the delivery of my bouquet?

Elrel Sun 17-Jan-16 13:38:22

Decisions, decisions!!

Jayh Sun 17-Jan-16 14:06:12

I already get free hot drink vouchers through the premium club but I pay £20 or so a month to be a member. I dont understand the Sparks card idea either. Is it replacing the perks I get by using my M&S credit card? Is it worth carrying on with the Premium Club?
I am so glad you brought this up, Nansy. I thought it was just me.

Pittcity Sun 17-Jan-16 14:26:49

Jayh I have an ordinary M&S credit card and the Sparks card is separate from this at the moment. You have to choose offers emailed to you and load them on to your Sparks card, bit of a faff!
I decided against joining the premium club as it would cost me more than I got in rewards. They are no longer taking new premium members, so there may be changes soon.

glassortwo Sun 17-Jan-16 14:32:37

I can go and have a piece of cake and a hot drink tomorrow for £3.00. Is that cheap don't buy cake hmm but I have no idea what the card actually does.

SueDonim Sun 17-Jan-16 16:18:13

I'm not entirely sure what the point is, either. The offers I've seen have generally been for use within the next five days and as I have a 40+mile round trip plus parking to pay for, it hardly seems worth the effort to buy something I don't want/need with 20% off. hmm