Gransnet forums

Chat

Fur goodness sake.....

(59 Posts)
boheminan Wed 10-Feb-16 14:28:38

I have a mock fur 'Russian style' hat that I've worn outdoors over the last 3 years, it keeps my ears warmsmile. I got it from New Look, so it's obviously not the real thing.

Yesterday for the first time I had a snide remark from a young woman who on passing me hissed 'Fur - murderer'. I was shocked and stopped her to explain that it's not real fur, but she argued the toss responding it was wrong to wear even imitation fur. As an active anti blood sports person, I'm feeling rather confused and shaken by this.

What do other GN'rs think about wearing nylon fur? I've looked for a similar design hat in different colours (eg: purple) but it only only seems to come in beige 'rabbit' or grey 'wolf'?, 'squirrel'?

Luckygirl Wed 10-Feb-16 14:33:52

All nonsense - you wear your fake fur. None of her business. I have a fake fur coat - but it is pale pink!

hildajenniJ Wed 10-Feb-16 14:39:20

Wear your hat! You know it isn't real fur, so don't worry what anyone else thinks.

Synonymous Wed 10-Feb-16 15:03:40

How ludicrous! Last I heard it is still a free country and you can wear what you like.
What a silly woman. Difficult to understand why she thinks she has the authority to disturb your peace because what she has done is actually an arrestable offence under the Public Order Act 1986.

aggie Wed 10-Feb-16 15:07:36

I saw an article ( can't remember where ) some time ago about imported fake fur trimmings which turned out to be not fake ! cat , dog , rabbit were all detected and sold as fake fur .......... yuck !!

Galen Wed 10-Feb-16 15:08:01

I have a leather sheepskin lined coat that is lovely and warm. Wouldn't be without it.

Alima Wed 10-Feb-16 15:08:06

Totally agree with the others. What a silly woman. It looks like we are heading for another cold spell so your warm hat will be very useful.

ninathenana Wed 10-Feb-16 16:22:09

Silly woman. Why shouldn't you wear your hat. Your conscience is clear you know it's fake.
I inherited a very nice dark brown fake fur jacket from mum. Anyone within 10ft and with any sense could tell it was fake but I've been too embarrassed to wear it more than once or twice. Silly of me I know.

merlotgran Wed 10-Feb-16 16:24:32

Was she wearing leather shoes by any chance?

Indinana Wed 10-Feb-16 16:41:45

Obnoxious little madam! I wonder if she wears leather shoes? Wear your hat and tell her to get lost.

Indinana Wed 10-Feb-16 16:43:09

Sorry merlot, I had that ready to post, the phone went, and in the meantime you said the same thing about leather shoes!

NanaandGrampy Wed 10-Feb-16 16:49:49

Tell her you left your mink coat at home!!

Flippin' heck!! Some people have got more nerve than enough. Don't let an over-zealous woman stop you wearing your hat.

Ana Wed 10-Feb-16 16:53:30

The thing with leather, though, is that usually the cow is killed for its meat and the skin is just a by-product. Mink etc. are killed purely for the fur.

Galen Wed 10-Feb-16 17:25:51

I actually have a real fur hat. I think it's silver fox. I bought it in Tallin and it's lovely and warm.
I have no compunction about wearing it! I also have leather gloves that I bought there.
The leather coat is from Barcelona. All products of cruises.

nightowl Wed 10-Feb-16 17:51:51

Yes she was rude and I agree there is nothing wrong with wearing fake fur. But playing devil's advocate, I'm glad the younger generation are still speaking out against real fur as it seems to be creeping back into respectability again since the big campaign against it in the 90's. It is a terribly cruel trade (as, indeed, is the leather industry in India for example).

wot Wed 10-Feb-16 18:08:35

I think she's got a damn cheek!

Eloethan Wed 10-Feb-16 18:51:34

Ridiculous and very rude. I wouldn't buy a real fur hat but I bought a black fake fur one for my mum the other day.

boheminan Wed 10-Feb-16 19:26:33

Thank you allflowers. I'm feeling better now, just don't 'do' confrontations. I was thinking of pinning a notice on the hat on the lines of the Mad Hatter, saying "I am not a dead animal" but thought people might think I was making some sort of wild statement..grin.

I was too busy studying her face to notice if she was wearing leather shoes..all I noticed was pink spiky hair (bit like mine).

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 10-Feb-16 20:17:44

bohemian I think what happened is awful and I'm not surprised you were upset.

I hope you don't mind me telling you that as a vegetarian I can't bring myself to wear anything that is 'animal' themed. So for me fake fur is not on, neither is any kind of animal print. The reason for this is I feel it encourages the use of animal skins in fashion. I realise I'm missing out on fashionable things, but I have bought a few things for my Mum she liked. The other year she bought a lovely animal print blouse and camisole as a surprise Christmas present for me, but it was a little tight on me at the time and now I just can't bring myself to wear it.

That said, I have never imposed my views on others and would not dream of speaking to a stranger. I think faux fur is very realistic looking these days, yet fashion designers have been using real fur again for about 10 years. If someone chooses to wear real fur for reasons of fashion, then that's their choice, but I have no respect for them. I doubt if they care, but I don't think it's right to give them the impression you think it's ok if you don't. Not when the animals die inhumanely.

I think that part of the problem with faux fur is just how realistic it can look and for someone reason there's a perception that older people choose real fur over faux. I think that's what happened to you. sad

lefthanded Wed 10-Feb-16 20:40:48

I've worn a Russian Army Surplus fake-fur hat (properly called an "ushanka") for years. A martyr to "male pattern baldness", I need a warm hat in the winter months and this one - which cost me a massive £9.99 in an Army Surplus shop in Nottingham - is the warmest hat I have ever owned.

I don't see anything wrong with fake-fur. Wear yours with pride and panache!

Ana Wed 10-Feb-16 20:53:19

Interesting, lefthanded!

It would seem that most of the condemnation seems to be aimed at women - bet you haven't had any nasty comments about your hat...

Atqui Thu 11-Feb-16 09:12:18

How rude. Good for you for responding. What's wrong with fake fur- it's no different from wearing animal prints in fabric.

Atqui Thu 11-Feb-16 09:13:14

Sorry Wilma didn't read your post thoroughly.

Atqui Thu 11-Feb-16 09:13:48

I hope the girl who challenged you was a vegan

annodomini Thu 11-Feb-16 09:44:06

The Guards bearskins are still made of real bears' skins from Canada. Over at least the past 8 years, there have been proposals to substitute these with fake fur, not least by Stella McCartney. As late as this week Boris Johnson was quoted as backing the substitution if it 'would save a few bears'.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11411527/Boris-Johnson-open-to-false-fur-for-Queens-Guard-caps.html