Gransnet forums

Chat

Birthday cards for children

(16 Posts)
M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 17:18:58

Is anyone else having problems buying children's birthday cards, with or without an age on them?

I wanted to buy DGS a card while I was in Waitrose yesterday. There were three large card racks with less than 2 rows given to children's cards. More space was given to decade birthday cards for the over 50s than to children. I could only find one for DGS's age and that had a football theme, a sport he has no interest in, so I bought the only 'Dear Grandson' one they had.

The argument can be made that I should have looked in other card shops, well I did that last month when DGD had her birthday and the choice was just as limited in those shops as well and most of the cards they had were cloyingly sentimental or nauseatingly over cute Waitrose's stock may be limited but at least their cards are not over sweetened.

chelseababy Fri 24-Jun-16 17:28:27

How about making your own either using computer or free hand. There's lots of card making stuff available (Hobbeycraft, Coleman's etc)? Maybe children are too young to appreciate the effort of a handmade card?

tanith Fri 24-Jun-16 17:30:14

I usually manage to find something suitable in Card Factory some are awful but there is a lot of choice at least.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 17:32:25

DH does do cards for DGC but he doesn't have the time and I do not have the skills, nor the time it would take me, to make anything any better than the ones they make for us. DH is already doing a beautiful card for his present, a day as a zoo keeper, and to be honest, I prefer bought cards.

hildajenniJ Fri 24-Jun-16 17:37:06

I went to Tesco and bought a fab Scooby-Doo card with 6 in one corner for my DGS week. He loved it, and now I have the task of finding similar cards for his siblings.

hildajenniJ Fri 24-Jun-16 17:38:10

PS. My son resorted to Moonpig for his card!

Greyduster Fri 24-Jun-16 17:39:47

I order personalised ones off the internet for my GS. There's usually something to suit whatever he is currently wild about - Lego, Star Wars, Minions, etc, and I think they are quite reasonable and the ones I have had have been good quality.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 17:44:44

The problem with rural living, even in South Oxfordshire, is that you are limited to what is available in your nearest town. In my case, I do have three small towns within 5 miles but the cost (and time) needed to drive round them all looking for a card is disproportionate.

I just expect any reasonable sized retailer to stock a good range of cards for all occasions. As I said Waotrose had three racks of cards, I would have expected half a rack to be devoted to a good range of cards for children, both numbered and unnumbered. There was a better choice of cards for centenarians that there was for, say, a 6 year old, or 10 year old.

rubysong Fri 24-Jun-16 18:19:27

I have some stick on numbers so I can buy a general child card and make it suit whatever age is needed. I think some card shops will put on stick on numbers if they are asked.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 18:24:36

I actually bought a 'for a special grandson' card, but even that was the only one they had. Number wasn't essential.I would just have liked to have had some choice.

AlieOxon Fri 24-Jun-16 18:25:39

I never can find what I want, so resort to charity shops - they seem to be the only ones stocking more than a very few blank cards to be personalised.

But - try and find any suitable cards for a mixed-race grandchild??

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 18:34:15

Moonpig is great.
I resorted to them after I spent weeks looking for a ruby wedding card for H. Quiet a few around for wife but obviously men aren't expected to receive cards.
I did find a '7' grandson card in a small independent shop.

shysal Fri 24-Jun-16 19:16:19

I buy all my birthday cards on Ebay. I do a search for a subject they are interested in. For example this year I have found ideal cards featuring pugs, herons, macaroons, badmington, street dance, a bath, cycling, hiking, exercising OAPs, Another Place and Weimararners. There is often the option of personalisation with age, relationship and greeting. Not bad for a couple of quid and free postage. All it needs is a bit of forward planning.
I hope this helps.

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 19:38:01

shysal why have I never thought of that

Lona Fri 24-Jun-16 19:49:28

My local W.H. Smith has a fantastic selection of cards for every occasion. We have a lot of card shops, but Smiths are the best. They seem to have narrowed down the variety of general stock and sell mainly books, cards and magazines. A few bits and pieces but nothing like the amount they used to sell.

rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 04:05:05

I buy mine online too, ebay, Amazon or Moonpig. I have just bought myself my birthday cards from my doggie. (I know, sad but I don't get many otherwise and I like getting cards from her). I have also had a mug printed this year at Moonpig with all our photos on, it looks lovely. smile