Gransnet forums

Chat

Cars

(82 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sat 20-Aug-16 13:05:05

Inspired by the other thread where I was criticised for my indicators not working, I thought of how it used to be when I learned to drive, passing my test in1971. Our cars were very different to the modern computers on wheels that we drive today, I would like to ask others how the managed without the safety gadgets and legislation that are the bane of our lives now, one example, I worked temporarily in a garage and was asked to move my car when the taker came to fill up, I moved the car and cheekily asked the driver could I drive the tanker, he said yes and I inched the huge thing over the forecourt, horror nowadays, I also remember using newspaper to fill in rust holes when my car was looking past its best etc etc. Anyone else got ant experiences circa 1970

ninathenana Sat 20-Aug-16 13:15:31

Nope, I didn't get a provisional license until about 1985.
I knew absolutely nothing about cars prior to that as neither our family or H had a car. H has never learnt to drive which I find frustrating at times.

etheltbags1 Sat 20-Aug-16 13:19:05

My brakes failed in my test, i had just done the emergency stop and after that i could feel the pedal going further down, so first journey post test was to garage.

Ana Sat 20-Aug-16 13:21:09

I could never have afforded to learn to drive in the 1970s, le alone run a car!

tanith Sat 20-Aug-16 13:23:54

I once drove a large tipper truck on the M25 before it was open I had a great time bowling along on the empty motorway. I did have my licence but I'd never driven anything with 12 gears before and I had to do something called double de-clutching scary but it turned ok. I'd probably be arrested nowadays.

Charleygirl Sat 20-Aug-16 13:59:20

I was like Ana the bus and tube fares took my money.

My father taught me to drive when I was around 11 years old. We were lucky to have access to private grounds so I think that it was legal. For medical reasons I did not learn to drive until 1988 and even then it was a struggle to keep the car on the road financially.

SueDonim Sat 20-Aug-16 14:22:43

I didn't drive until 1977 but I should think the fall in death rates & injuries to today's levels despite the massively increased number of vehicles on the roads is justification enough for the rules and regulations we have now.

I recall the fuss made when seat belts were made compulsory and child seats too but they've undoubtedly saved lives. Drink-driving laws too,

kittylester Sat 20-Aug-16 14:29:06

I learnt to drive in 1972 because 2 under 2s carrycot on wheels and country buses didn't mix.

My first car was a Citroën Diane which I was never able to get into first gear so had to rev manically before shoving into second and hoping for the best.

Tizliz Sat 20-Aug-16 14:30:19

I drove a tractor on my fil's farm long before I drove a car. Don't think it helped as I had to take my test 3 times

etheltbags1 Sat 20-Aug-16 14:30:41

It was fun in those days and cheap, my first car was £100 I had a corner garage who fixed it and lessons were £1.50 a time, hardly expensive, I worked and that paid for it,the pleasure of feeling free to go anywhere is something I've never tired of even now. I find fares much more expensive than petrol, in 1970 i paid three shillings and sixpence a gallon, just before decimalisation .

hildajenniJ Sat 20-Aug-16 14:47:32

I remember when petrol was 2/6d per gallon! I didn't have my own car until I got married in 1982. I drove my Dad's after I passed my test. He must have said a prayer every time I took it out, as I was a bit slap dash in my attitude to driving to begin with.

Greyduster Sat 20-Aug-16 14:54:52

We bought out first car, a second hand mini, in 1971 when we were stationed in Belgium. The rear subframe collapsed on the way to Antwerp Zoo, but minis were surprisingly easy to repair. A local BMC garage sorted it out for a small sum, plus a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label and two hundred Dunhill cigarettes! We had it when we were in Londonderry and it had a damaging encounter with a large seagull which knocked out the rusted headlight; it gained a couple of bullet holes (one perilously near the petrol tank) while parked on the barrack square, courtesy of the boyos in the Bogside taking pot shots at all and sundry - thank God it was our car and not the soldier who was walking past it at the time, though he did feel one of the bullets whistle past him! And still it continued to go, but, held together with chewing gum and sticky tape, water leaking in everywhere, we had to bid it a sad farewell in 1976.

obieone Sat 20-Aug-16 15:05:45

I remember there being holes in my parents' car. Us kids thought it fun to be able to see daylight and the road through the floor!
We also had great fun pre seat-belts. And fun with many kids in the back.

I do think there needs to be a further law now though- texting while driving. Dangerous.

Ana Sat 20-Aug-16 15:11:52

Any use of a hand-held device while driving, other than to make an emergency call, has been illegal since 2003. This applies in road jams or at traffic lights.

The problem is, catching them at it!

annodomini Sat 20-Aug-16 15:27:30

I passed my test 56 years ago. My first car was a Hillman Imp which I loved but which was apt to break down at inopportune times. I discovered that I could get it moving again by pressing something called the solenoid. Never heard of it before or since!
In Kenya, in the 60s, I had a Morris 1100, totally unsuitable for rough roads and bashing around the bush. A lead to the pump came adrift and whenever that happened, the car stopped dead - embarrassing at best, dangerous at worst. The garage kept telling me they were getting the spare part but finally I gave up, crawled under the car and attached the offending lead with a piece of Elastoplast which was still there a year later when I swopped the car for a much more suitable and utterly reliable VW Beetle. A later Beetle, in the 1980s, had a problem with the heater and exhaust fumes came through instead of heat. I stuffed an old tea towel in the channel to prevent myself succumbing to CO fumes. My mechanic called it a mobile gas chamber.

crun Sat 20-Aug-16 19:11:48

"it gained a couple of bullet holes"

I thought you meant the bullet-hole transfers that they used to give away with petrol in the 1960s. grin Whatever happened to petrol freebies, the idea seems quite quaint nowadays.

suzied Sat 20-Aug-16 19:19:55

My dad first got a convertible Hillman Minx in the 1950s. I can remember us 3 kids bouncing around, standing up and waving on the back seat !

Greyduster Sat 20-Aug-16 19:28:29

Bullet hole transfers?? We only got green shield stamps! DH stuck gaffer tape over the bullet holes! Transfers would have been good!

J52 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:44:59

I had Mr Bean's citron yellow mini in 1976. Previously a grey Morris 1000 called Nellie ( as in The Elephant ). Stopped by a policeman was asked'is the rust keeping it together?'
But there's nothing like driving a 2CV for a real experience! As long as you had a can of WD 40.

Linsco56 Sun 21-Aug-16 00:46:31

My first car was a Datsun Cherry in 1975 and was really basic compared to today's cars. No central locking or air conditioning or hi-tech gadgets, just a basic car with a basic Mototola radio. I later had an 8 track cassette player fitted. Loved my little car but had to sell it in 1979 to buy our white goods when DH and I first set up home sad

Christinefrance Sun 21-Aug-16 08:16:34

Oh I remember it all well, I took my husband's car out the day I passed my test - he was very precious about his cars, I had to use a circuitous route to get home so I didn't need to turn right.
I had a car with a column change and caused many traffic jams as I couldn't change gear.

Greyduster Sun 21-Aug-16 09:11:15

We have had some real 'old bangers', but at least, when cars were less complicated you had a better than even chance of getting them going again if you did a bit of fiddling about under the bonnet - using tights to replace a broken fan belt (it works); giving something a clout with a spanner to jolt it back to life (DH was always doing that); taking damp spark plugs out and drying them..... Modern cars are a nightmare. Things pop up on the screen and frighten the life out of you, and half the time they are not relevant, just the computer acting up. Our eighteen month old Honda regularly puts up the tyre pressure warning sign, so out we get, check the pressures, no prob. Reset the computer. Drive on, on it comes again. It's getting like the boy who cried wolf; you daren't ignore it. The dealer keeps fiddling about with it. We also get the service period indicator at ridiculous times and that needs resetting. You look under the bonnet of a modern car and don't have the comfort of seeing anything you recognise as making it go!

Marmight Sun 21-Aug-16 09:49:55

I passed my test at just 17. I couldn't wait to drive. I drove my Dad's Hillman Minx until I inherited my Grandad's Austin A30 complete with little yellow flipper indicators. On a good day and down hill it got up to 75 mph shock. I progressed to my Mum's redundant Austin 1300 and then to a Triumph Spitfire which was my pride and joy. Sadly I couldn't fit the baby's carrycot in the back so it had to go. Late DH was a bit of a petrol-head and after he died I found a list he had made of all the cars he'd owned - over 50. These days so long as the car is reliable and gets me from A to B quickly and safely, I'm not fussy - but I do admit to a slight yearning for a Porsche; maybe in my dotage I will get one ......

Nannylovesshopping Sun 21-Aug-16 10:11:09

J52I also loved my 2CV, when I went round bends a bit sharpish the window flaps would open, my children thought that was hilarious, entertainment was cheap in those daysgrin

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 11:19:42

My first car was a standard 10, passed my test in my teens but did work in a garage so had freedom of the garage during lunch hour to manoeuvre my car into difficult parking bays and great for practising the three point turn , didn't need a driver with me