Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

grammar question

(293 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 17-Jul-15 11:55:38

about the verb to swim.
Is it correct to say "we've swum in that lake".
Or is it "we've swam " " " ."
I wrote "swum" first, it looked strange, so I changed it to "we've been swimming etc."

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 21:43:44

I think it was originally ' awe inspiring' which for me is, well, better!!

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 21:25:05

I've read that again tb and it does make sense now ! smile

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 21:20:04

Yes my daughter would.agree with minibags', thatbags. Though good is an adj and well an adv, but now I spose I'm just being pedantic. I do often say "I guess" and that's something I wouldn't have said at one time. Yes awesome is becoming common now niggly

thatbags Tue 18-Aug-15 21:12:11

I'm not wild about the phrase "I'm not wild about..." but, hey, shrug, what does it matter?

thatbags Tue 18-Aug-15 21:11:21

Minibags explained it to me, bnonna, thus: Replying "I'm good" or just "Good" to the question "How are you?" is the same as replying "I'm fine" or "Fine". In both cases what it means is I'm feeling fine/good (where good means the same as fine, not virtuous wink).

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 21:06:51

I'm not that wild about iconic or awesome, particularly in an American accent!! Sorry that sounds like prejudice.

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 18:53:57

Ana, no. But it does sometimes happen unfortunately !

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 18:48:11

But thatbags wouldn't being good mean being well behaved rather than well i.e. In health. Still find it annoying. But waddever

Ana Tue 18-Aug-15 18:43:17

And let's face it, no one really wants or expects the question to be taken seriously and be given an in-depth description of your ailments and complaints!

thatbags Tue 18-Aug-15 18:32:21

"I was sat" and "i was stood" and similar expressions irritate me but so many people say them and write them that I am becoming inured to their use. I don't have to use them myself. Time to shrug the irritation off. Because what good does it do? None.

Re meaningless answers to how are you (not that 'good' is meaningless), why the fuss? Often there isn't a simple answer one can give. It's just a way of saying hello, an interaction about nothing. It doesn't really matter what people respond with so long as it isn't rude.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 18:24:02

I haven't come across 'yes'! but I can see it could be annoying!!!

MamaCaz Tue 18-Aug-15 17:39:37

As an answer to 'how are you?', I find 'yes' even more annoying than 'good', but it seems to have become the standard reply around these parts.

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 15:16:21

I agree about dialects, niggly. I hope they last. I think 'I was sat' might be a regional thing ?
The response that one is ' good' is used by DD1' who also asks if she can 'get' in a restaurant. I do hate both those versions but I think working with Americans has rubbed off on her speech somewhat.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 14:47:05

Sorry, I meant sat and sitting. I do wish that this thread had an edit process, then mistakes could be corrected. Some forums do and it makes life so much easier, particularly for old ladies!!!!!

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 14:44:09

I haven't any problem with dialects, and I accept that language has and does change over the course of time, but I do have a problem with sit and sitting. I am also slightly wrong footed at my grandchildren's reply when being asked how they are, and the answer is 'good'!! Perhaps better than'bad'!! I do acknowledge though that I am getting old, so perhaps the grammar, spelling and pronunciation that grates on my ears is to some degree a generation problem!!!

embo32 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:29:31

Been swimming..

feetlebaum Mon 03-Aug-15 06:26:14

Sometimes those Americanisms started out in Britain, travelled to the US and in the meantime disappeared here... and the opposite happens too: many would identify the expression 'a stiff upper lip' as being quintessentially English, and yet its earliest appearance is in an American article.

mrsmopp Sun 02-Aug-15 19:56:16

An expression I've heard a few times recently, probably American, is, instead of "from the beginning" they say, "from the get go." it does sound odd, but our language is full of Americanisms isn't it?

feetlebaum Sat 01-Aug-15 22:19:23

@Anya - I think it was the RCs, although I'm not certain of it.

annodomini Sat 01-Aug-15 22:12:14

When I hear myself on my answering service message, I sound more Scots than I think I do. My DSs don't think I sound Scots at all, but they were brought up in various parts of England and never adopted any specific accent - their speech is very much RP. I know my accent isn't specific to any one area of Scotland, but once across the Border, it gets stronger and I use more dialect words. 50 years away from my homeland and I've kept my identity. My English granny, born and brought up in Leicester, never lost her accent, although most of her adult life was spent in Scotland.

Penstemmon Sat 01-Aug-15 20:42:06

Young people are commonly very good at using different 'registers' when they mix with different groups. i am sure we have all done it to different degrees!

When I hear myself, on a recording for instance, I am always surprised at the sound of my voice! It does not sound like the 'me' I hear!

thatbags Sat 01-Aug-15 18:10:41

Minibags apparently speaks differently to her schoolmates than she does at home. Most, if not all her pals have quite strong west of Scotland accents. At home she hears a northern (short 'a' sounds) but otherwise unplaceable English accent and an almost not there southern Welsh accent. It makes perfect sense to me that she alters how she says things in order to fit in better, as she sees it. I should think it must be quite useful to be able to imitate various accents. Actors must have to do it quite a lot. Talent I call it.

Anya Sat 01-Aug-15 17:50:16

So which religious group uses the incorrect 'haitch' ?

feetlebaum Sat 01-Aug-15 16:08:42

re Aitch v. Haitch : I understand that in Northern Ireland one is Protestant usage and the other Catholic... English is littered with silent 'H's, as in 'hotel', 'honour' - mostly words derived from French (as in the US pronunciation of 'herbs').

granjura Wed 29-Jul-15 17:44:09

Forgot to say, and OH is no snob at all- despite his RP- so I certainly would not intimate that is the case.