Weather forecasters

(23 Posts)
KatyK Fri 12-Dec-14 13:28:11

Yesterday on various weather forecasts I heard the presenters say:

This weather bomb is caused by....
A pineapple express storm hits the USA
This weather front is caused by a wrapover occlusion

confused

And just to add, on local TV news the interviewer asked a group of young lady (possibly in her 20s) what her favourite Christmas carol was. She said: 'walking in a winter wonderland' Rant over.

Nonnie Fri 12-Dec-14 13:29:38

Some of them seem to have very annoying expressions which they keep repeated. I heard 'spits and spots' 3 times in one forecast.

Riverwalk Fri 12-Dec-14 13:33:49

This morning on Radio 4 the person from the Met Office said that the weather overnight had been 'poor' confused

KatyK Fri 12-Dec-14 13:38:52

Even the programme presenter said on the local news 'oh dear I must watch out for that wrapover occlusion' and pulled a puzzled face!

durhamjen Sat 13-Dec-14 00:23:25

5000 lightning strikes in the weather bomb over the north west, Scotland and the Western Isles.
Anyone heard from Newist?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Dec-14 20:00:14

Why can't they say "mist" without adding "murk"? confused

absent Sat 13-Dec-14 20:15:29

It's not a pineapple express storm. Pineapple Express was the name given to the particular storm, just like hurricanes are given names.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Dec-14 20:18:01

It livens things up. tchgrin

rosequartz Sat 13-Dec-14 23:06:37

Polar Express on its way tchgrin

rosequartz Sat 13-Dec-14 23:07:12

I dislike 'spits and spots' of rain. I always wonder who is doing the spitting.

durhamjen Sun 14-Dec-14 00:16:06

There's one thing they got right. Tonight is perfect for seeing the Geminids meteor shower. I've just been outside and seen about half a dozen shooting stars. Cold, though.

durhamjen Sun 14-Dec-14 00:41:40

Just been outside for another ten minutes, with a coat on this time, and seen lots more.

MamaCaz Mon 22-Dec-14 16:27:59

The latest weather forecasters' phrase to annoy me is "the first (or second) half of the weekend". Every time I hear it, I wonder out loud why they can't just say "Saturday" (or Sunday).

NanKate Mon 22-Dec-14 16:44:18

When they say 'The wind is blowing off of the continent I get very annoyed. In fact I wrote to the BBC and asked them to use correct grammar and they did send an apologetic letter back to me. tchgrin

Katek Tue 23-Dec-14 08:47:39

There's something about spits and spots that reminds me of Mary Poppins??? Did she use the phrase?

Ana Tue 23-Dec-14 10:06:57

She certainly did in the film - meaning 'quick sharp' or 'get a move on'! I always thought it sounded odd then, as well...

Ariadne Tue 23-Dec-14 10:41:02

dj I "saw" newist on the shopping for Christmas thread, and she was saying the ferries were cancelled. Brings a new perspective to buying groceries!

Katek Tue 23-Dec-14 10:46:30

Aaah, knew there was a connection! It is an odd phrase isn't it and how did it transfer to weather forecasts?? I had a quick google and it says the phrase originated in the film.

MamaCaz Mon 05-Jan-15 18:57:02

Apparently, we are going to be having some "lovely sparkly sunshine" tomorrow.

For goodness sake, do they think we viewers are five years old? [grumpy old woman emoticon]

Wheniwasyourage Mon 05-Jan-15 19:04:44

Can I have a go with your [grumpyoldwoman] emoticon please, MamaCaz? I would like to use it for complaining about when the forecasters imply that we all want it to be sunny all the time and feel sad if it's going to rain. Sometimes the garden needs rain (or I just don't want to go out weeding) and I'm happy to hear that we're getting a shower or two. You're right, they are treating us as if we were rather stupid children.

Ariadne Mon 05-Jan-15 19:06:19

On BBC. Breakfast, Carole thingy uses the word "murky" a lot, and I always reminds me of Lady Macbeth - "Hell is murky."

thatbags Mon 05-Jan-15 19:14:02

@WindyWilson on Twitter is my favourite weatherman. He has another job too and, like many people, was back after a couple of weeks' holiday over xmas and new year, so this was today's:

@WindyWilson88: Windy says fuk me, what a day . . . . I love this shit !! I'll have a look at the weather later on this evening, but there's not much change

Before he went to work this morning: @WindyWilson88: Windy says the only thing I struggled with this morning was my hair. 18 days without gel, and it's all over the bastarding place ha ha ha

And earlier still: @WindyWilson88: WEATHER WARNINGS - Windy says we've got some serious shit coming in on Wednesday 7th, and then on Friday 9th and Saturday 10th . . . . . .

loopylou Tue 06-Jan-15 06:58:56

Watch out if you live in the southeast - there's a 'band of dampness' heading your way according to the BBC! Sounds like incontinent weather system to me......confused