Gransnet forums

Pets

Anyone ever kept quails?

(6 Posts)
Anya Sat 28-Feb-15 16:02:44

I'm thinking about getting a few quails (6-10) just for their eggs. I don't want a cock as I don't want the stress of breeding them.

Just wondered if anyone has ever kept them and if so what do I need to know about them? I have a couple of elderly chickens, who still lay, and there's information on line. But that's not the same as first hand advice.

merlotgran Sat 28-Feb-15 17:04:33

www.amazon.co.uk/Keeping-Quail-Domestic-Commercial-Management/dp/0906137381/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425142886&sr=1-1&keywords=keeping+quail

We have this book, Anya. DH fancied keeping quail when he retired but then he had a stroke which might have been a stroke of luck all things considered.

I think the eggs are delicious but so small and fiddly. I'll stick to chickens.

Anya Sat 28-Feb-15 22:46:25

Thanks Merlot it's probably just one of those mad ideas I have every now and again. I'll sleep on it for a few weeks.

Sorry about your DH's stroke. How is he now?

merlotgran Sat 28-Feb-15 22:49:55

He's fine thanks, Anya. Driving me mad Doing really well. grin

Anya Sat 28-Feb-15 22:57:40

That's good Merlot smile

TriciaF Sun 01-Mar-15 17:42:02

We had some quails for a short time. They are very noisy so you need to keep them at a distance from the house.
Also they are adventurous and unless you clip their wings they'll escape, even in an enclosure. Some of ours flew out and were returned by the farmer next door.
They're pretty birds though.