Gransnet forums

Pictures

Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max).

Celebrate Alfie's Christmas - enter our Christmas decorations competition to win a Mini Micro scooter

(25 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Nov-14 13:51:33

Shirley Hughes' Alfie books have been entertaining pre-school readers for over 30 years. This year, to celebrate Alfie's Christmas, Random House Children's books are running a competition to find the best home-made Christmas decorations.

To enter simply take a pic of your creations (or those made by your dcs/dgcs) and upload it to this thread. The winner will receive an award-winning red Mini Micro Scooter just like Alfie's...and two runners up will each receive a copy of Alfie's Christmas book.

Post up your pictures of your creations before midnight on Sunday 14th December and the winner will be announced on Monday 15th.

Shirley Hughes' latest book A Year of Stories is a beautiful treasury filled with tales and poems for every month of the year.

lilmisskitkat Mon 17-Nov-14 16:41:50

Crochet and felt Christmas puddings I made for the tree last year smile

SueD Mon 17-Nov-14 17:58:07

Stained glass decorations made on Saturday

BellaWella Mon 17-Nov-14 21:45:35

This has been my 'best' xmas decoration to date. Made for my daughters nursery competition and won first prize. Was really proud of myself as no good at crafts - not bad considering!!

Gracesgran Wed 19-Nov-14 09:56:53

This is the "Sleeps before Christmas" doll I have made for my Granddaughter which she will get when her family spend Christmas with us this year. It will be the first time I have seen them for three and a half years as they live in Australia! The teddy goes in the "24" pocket on the 1st December and her PJs go in the back. Each morning, when she puts her PJs away she will move the teddy to show one less sleep before Christmas. I am hoping it will come out year after year as "the doll that Granny made".

Gracesgran Wed 19-Nov-14 10:00:02

I am going to boring on this as I am obsessed about giving handmade items for Christmas. This is the rag wreath I have made for my son's family - although the rags are expensive linen!

Gracesgran Wed 19-Nov-14 10:02:43

... and this is the box of handmade decoration for them. Other members of the family do get handmade gifts but you can imagine how important these have been to me smile

Gracesgran Wed 19-Nov-14 10:11:06

I hope this will not post twice; the first on didn't seem to work. I thought this might amuse our forum members. I do make lots of decorations for family and friends and this was my "choir of angels" for this year smile

Gracesgran Wed 19-Nov-14 10:13:23

Just in case you don't know - although I am sure you do - clicking on any of the photos makes them bigger.

suzied Fri 21-Nov-14 18:08:31

Wreath made with coat hanger, tulle, ribbon .

suzied Fri 21-Nov-14 18:12:20

Christmas piñata, made by blowing up a balloon, covering with paper mâché over 2 or 3 days, then popping balloon, covering piñata with scrunched up tissue paper, putting sweets, small presents inside then hanging up. Kids smash it up by hitting with a wooden spoon. A good game for Christmas afternoon.

MTDancer Sat 22-Nov-14 18:23:25

Baubles for my grand-daughter's first Christmas and a lighted Christmas decoration too

bl0ss0m Sat 22-Nov-14 23:23:01

homemade origami paper stars for our front window!

purplevamp Sun 23-Nov-14 23:27:50

This is a stocking I made for my daughter. I've made one for each of my children and put them up every year.

Gracesgran Tue 25-Nov-14 11:01:47

I really love a handmade Christmas and these are three very different attempts at stockings for the family. The first set may look out of place hanging as they do in my son's Australian home but Granny made them!

Harry's stocking was made for a little boy I know and Kate's was for my daughter because, even in your 40s, we know that no one needs to be too grown up at Christmas.

suzied Fri 28-Nov-14 18:23:38

Just getting out the advent calendar bunting I made, each flag has a little pocket to pop a little sweet or present

mpsandy Tue 09-Dec-14 15:33:03

My husband made this from an old stag ornament and used copper sheet for the sleigh. It looks really effective.

superhez Tue 09-Dec-14 20:51:07

The first picture is of some lovely baubles I saw on a craft website where you wrap string around a slightly inflated balloon, spray with glue and then pop and remove the balloon once set, leaving a lovely wicker effect bauble, the second picture is our attempt!

superhez Tue 09-Dec-14 20:52:51

Our window snowflakes were slightly more successful!

tiggypiro Fri 12-Dec-14 10:24:41

This is very unusual for me as it is completly hand done. A labour of love and will be taken to DD and DGS's in Beijing next year - too precious and too many hours work for it to go missing in the post.

Dottyhols Sat 13-Dec-14 21:16:05

Had a fabulous time making these decorations with my two darlings x tchsmile

oldbirdwhoplays Sat 13-Dec-14 23:11:50

I love making my stain-glass window biscuits for the Christmas tree - it's one of our family traditions! And my grandson enjoys eating them too.

Gracesgran Sun 14-Dec-14 09:22:22

My last offering - just completed in time to decorate the fireplace.

dragon60 Sun 14-Dec-14 13:38:21

This is the Christmas Tree advent calendar we made.
And my granddaughter with the fairy's we made which we used as Christmas Cards.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Dec-14 19:56:06

And the winner, as chosen by the publisher is...Dottyhols for her gingerbread decorations.

Runners up are oldbirdwhoplays' stained glass window biscuits and Gracesgran's Christmas stockings

Congratulations all - look out for an email coming your way shortly