Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Specsavers hearing care test feedback thread - find out how the GNers got on with their hearing tests NOW CLOSED

(20 Posts)
AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Mar-15 13:52:03

Thanks for the feedback - all much appreciated.
Am pleased to say GrannyCaz1 wins the £200 voucher.
Well done...
And keep an eye out for the story from a GN - Specsavers Ambassador coming soon smile

SusannaCallaghan Thu 19-Feb-15 10:53:28

My first experiences of Scarborough Specsavers were all negative. I had to call several times to make my appointment as the audiologist works on different days out of 3 centres and I could not get any day I wanted the first and second time I called. I looked on Bing maps to find Specsavers in the town centre, but this led me to the wrong place, so by the time I found it, I was 10 minutes late. The receptionist downstairs, the one upstairs and the audiologist all gave me a hard time over this, but she eventually agreed to see me.

The audiologist had not heard of Gransnet and thought I was coming for a work hearing test, for which there is a charge. Whoever had put the appointment in the book must also have thought Gransnet was a business and had therefore booked the appointment as a work-related one. The audiologist argued over the charge and Gransnet and was defensive in attitude and I was concerned that I would have wasted my time, but she eventually went off to consult her manager. She came back with a better, friendlier attitude, saying her manager had explained everything to her.

The examination started with questions about my hearing, the tests were explained clearly and consisted of a hearing test in a booth with headphones on and a further hearing test with a headphone over the bone behind the ear (to test the middle ear). Immediately afterwards we went through the results, looking at graphs on screen. This was all useful and helpful and my questions were answered to my satisfaction.

It turns out that I have slight age-related hearing loss, which does not require any assistance at present. The audiologist strongly promoted having hearing tests every year and discussed at length how people feel reluctant to admit to any age-related problem, embarrassed about their age, getting older etc. I did feel patronised and I thought such discussions were unnecessary, given that I had already brought myself there for a test. Perhaps the audiologist felt the need to preach the message, given I was there from Gransnet and could become an ambassador to promote more people having tests.

Since the full private hearing test is free for everyone, I think it would be a fairer reflection of the actual experience if the audiologist had thought that I was simply a member of the public, rather than knowing that I was associated with Gransnet.
This would have avoided some of the problems I experienced and would have avoided any self-consciousness or discomfort for the audiologist.
My conclusions are that I would recommend anyone to get a hearing test if they are over 50, or at any age if they have had an accident or been exposed to loud noises or any other circumstance that might affect their hearing.

My recommendations to Specsavers would be to simply post in the window that hearing tests are free and make sense for anyone with any concern or from age 40 onwards. Do stop focussing on how embarrassed people might feel about their age and a possible age-related problem, as that just draws attention and focus to any such problem. Consider rather the metaphor of a high performance car, which naturally needs care and quality maintenance to continue to perform at peak.

Apologies for the long ramble, but I hope some of this is useful to other Gransnetters and to Specsavers.

womblekelly Wed 18-Feb-15 12:22:53

Telephoned Kirkstall, Leeds Specsavers on 14 Jan and first available appt they had was 18 Feb. It's about 15 minutes drive away, or 30 minutes by bus with 10 minute walk.
Took the test 'cos have difficulty hearing conversations when in a crowded room.
Person doing the test was lovely and explained everything very well. Turns out my hearing is fine apart from some minor damage which most probably happened when I did some clay pigeon shooting many, many years ago!
But results were very reassuring and will definitely be making an appointment for my husband in the very near future

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Feb-15 11:15:41

Oh no SheilaS. How strange...thanks for rearranging it

SheilaS Tue 17-Feb-15 14:26:45

Attended for my 10am appointment today at Selby Specsavers to discover that it had been booked at the York branch. Now rescheduled but I drove 10 miles especially to attend. Not best pleased!

pompa Mon 16-Feb-15 10:55:35

I wonder why one would want to go private ?
Booked an NHS hearing test, had to wait a week, clinic held in our village. Test showed that I had some hearing loss at high frequencies. Digital hearing aids were fitted there and then. All took about an hour. Future batteries, servicing etc are free.

Well done North Essex NHS

Vivienne53 Mon 16-Feb-15 10:11:38

I booked my hearing test at the Northwich Branch over the phone. I mentioned Gransnet and the person taking the call wasn't sure what I was referring to but she referred to a colleague and I booked a test for Monday 16th February at 08:00.

I am 61 and my hearing is normally OK but I have noticed on a few occasions that I miss my phone ringing so just wanted to get it checked out.

The centre was easy to get to, about a 10 minutes drive then a couple of minutes walk. Parking was easy but I think is more to do with the time of my appointment (it's also free for 3 hours).

I was seen as soon as I got to the centre. The audiologist introduced herself and explained what would happen during the test.
She asked some general health related questions, examined both my ears then we proceeded with the test which involved putting a pair of earphones on then pushing a button when I heard a sound. A further shorter test with a device behind my right ear was then carried out.

We then discussed the results which showed that I had a very slight degradation in hearing but nothing to indicate I needed a hearing aid. I then asked whether I should repeat the test at some time in the future and was advised that I could have an annual test or at anytime I felt my hearing had changed.

This was a useful exercise and I would recommend it to others.

grandmac Fri 13-Feb-15 13:46:12

I decided to take the hearing test as I am nearly 71 and I felt that my hearing was becoming worse than some others my age. I often can't hear or understand the voices on the television and use the subtitles, and find it difficult to hear in crowded and noisy places.
I booked my test by phone at the Canterbury branch. The lady I spoke to seemed to know about the Gransnet survey and was very polite and helpful. On the day of the test I went into the branch to see if I could bring the appointment time forward and they were very obliging and changed it with no problems.
The audiologist, Hadrian, was very polite, charming and explained everything before starting and during the test. Using a wall chart he showed me the anatomy of the ear and explained how it all worked. He examined my ears and said both were fine and with no wax. I then went into a booth, had earphones put on and was given a 'clicker'. The test involved me 'clicking' each time I heard a sound in either ear. This was followed by a further test with a small device placed behind one ear and the same 'clicking' whenever I heard a sound. It probably took about 5 minutes in all.
Hadrian then explained the results, which were good, and said I could repeat the test in 2 years or whenever I felt there were significant changes in my hearing. He then showed me the different types of hearing aids, including the NHS ones, and explained the prices and packages that Specsavers offer.
I found this an interesting experience and was relieved that my hearing is not as bad as I feared it might be. Following this visit and Hadrian's explanations I would have no hesitation in using hearing aids if necessary. I would also recommend that others who think their hearing is deteriorating take a test. Like me they might be pleasantly surprised.

dartmoordogsbody Fri 13-Feb-15 11:33:37

I booked my test over the phone and was efficiently and warmly dealt with. I was offered a test that day, but had other commitments, so I went yesterday. Specsavers is in the middle of town in Okehampton, walkable from my home, and newly re-fitted. There was a pleasant welcome. As I was slightly early and the audiologist had a client with him, they kept me up to date with my timing. In fact, I only had about 2 minutes to wait after my appointment time.

Kevin, the audiologist, introduced himself and took me into the room for the test. He enquired what had prompted the visit, and I explained that I had heard through Gransnet about it and had volunteered. I am 71 and have always had very sharp hearing, though lately I have wondered whether one ear was slightly less clear. It is really only when several people are talking, and I can't relate one-to-one, or in the supermarket when I am doing other things while talking to the cashier, that I notice.

Kevin washed his hands thoroughly and explained the process of the test. My ears were examined for health and I was told they were fine. He had a large diagram of the ear on the wall which he used to explain how hearing works. There were two parts to the test, one with large earphones into which sounds were passed, one side at a time, and I had a button to press when I heard anything. We discussed the results on the computer screen, and they were fully explained. It seems my hearing is pretty good for general purposes, a slight loss at the top and bottom of the ranges - violins and foghorns, as Kevin put it. I did have one ear slightly worse than the other - the opposite way round to what I had thought. There was then a confirming test, with slightly different equipment and more sounds.

It was a very interesting experience, and I was reassured that my hearing is fine for my age. I was alerted to take action if one ear suddenly becomes different from the other, or if things deteriorate suddenly. Otherwise, I was recommended to re-visit in about 4-5 years time.

I was glad I had gone for the test. Kevin was curious about Gransnet, though he had heard of Mumsnet. I explained what GN is about and he thought it was good that Specsavers had made the contact as hearing is an issue that can be ignored and yet makes a big difference to people's quality of life at any age.

He pointed out that modern NHS hearing aids are very sophisticated and would be expensive if not on prescription. Perhaps that should encourage some of us to take action if we think we can have a hearing aid (or two) that would be good quality but we wouldn't have to pay a fortune, because they would be on the NHS. I would certainly recommend anyone to go for a test if they are being told by friends/family that they seem to be having problems hearing, or if they feel that 'people all mumble these days'. There are solutions that can bring life back into focus!

Lindylooby Tue 10-Feb-15 11:08:09

I visited Gravesend branch of Specsavers for my private hearing test this morning, they did not seem to know about the gransnet/specsavers trial.
however, the young man who carried out my test was really helpful, I told him that I had slight trouble in hearing clearly what was being said when there were lots of other noise around, I noticed that I do lip read quite a bit, and talk loudly on the phone (according to my family).
the test was good and lasted about 15 minutes......the conclusion, I had a normal amount of hearing loss for my age, 57, my right ear was worse, which I had thought.
I was told that I shoukd return for further testing if I felt my hearing deteriorates to any extent, but at present do not require any hearing aids.
overall, a good experience.

Dara Sat 07-Feb-15 14:21:33

Other half insisted that I am deaf. Specsavers proved him WRONG. Ha ha he does not wear his hearing aids so who is he to talk? Very thorough and professional hearing test and honest feedback.

Nonnie Fri 06-Feb-15 11:39:53

I went to the Worcester branch. I am 68 and have been feeling for a while that it is harder to hear some tones clearly. Making the appointment was easy and they knew about the Gransnet scheme.

It was very easy to get to because very close to the bus stop but they do have a once a week clinic in the town where I live so it could have been even easier but it was my choice to go there.

Yes, the audiologist did make me feel comfortable but I did feel that he spoke too loudly at the beginning but maybe he often needs to! He explained everything very well without patronising me. The test basically consisted of sitting in a box about the size of a portable loo and listening for sounds and then pressing a button every time I heard one. Very simple.

In the explanation afterwards it was clear that my hearing is about normal for my age and that I have no problem with volume, just with tone which means I don't hear everything as clearly as I might.

He explained all the various options for hearing aids and showed them to me without any kind of sell. I have to say the NHS ones were much less conspicuous than I had expected and I didn't know they were free for anyone who needs them over the age of 50. I intend to get one of the free ones and see how I get on with it. I would recommend everyone of my age to go and find out as it is likely they have about the same amount of hearing loss as me and would benefit from a free, discreet hearing aid.

Going to persuade DH to go too!

GrannyHaggis Thu 05-Feb-15 18:30:35

I visited the Cambridge branch ( Fitzroy Street) this morning for a full private hearing test. I'd already had the 3 minute test when I booked the appointment which showed some hearing loss.Staff were friendly and it was easy to book an appointment. I was called and offered an earlier one, but declined as I was away.
I've been having difficulties hearing some TV programmes and my husband says he's having to speak more loudly to me ! I'll be 69 this year, so expected hearing to go downhill like everything else! As I probably wouldn't have gone for a hearing test under my own steam, I thought I'd take the opportunity to go on behalf of Gransnet and report back.
I live outside Cambridge, but took the bus which is a 25 minute journey.
The audiologist was friendly and polite and asked why I felt I needed a hearing test. He then explained clearly what he would be doing and started by checking my ears for wax or any other signs of change. I then went into a booth and put on headphones and was given a buzzer to press when I heard a sound. He then put another kind of headphone on me and carried out 2 more tests.
He talked me through the results, on a graph which showed the extent of hearing loss, left ear worse then right! He also showed me what aids were available if I wanted them as well as prices and told me about the NHS hearing service.He did not try to persuade me to get aids and was knowledgeable about the changes about affecting hearing loss.
It was certainly worth going as I now have the option to take this further and I'm certainly considering having hearing aids.
I'd recommend a hearing test to anyone who's concerned that their hearing might be getting worse

GrannyCaz1 Wed 04-Feb-15 17:06:31

I visited the Lancaster branch of Specsavers for my hearing test a short walk from my home. Appointment was made within a week and staff very helpful. The audiologist was very helpful and explained in detail every part of the test and also too and discussed medical history.

The test was very easy and the results were discussed at length, explaining how my results affected me and what was likely to happen in the future.

All in all a very pleasant and informative experience

Yamahar6 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:42:25

It's all right all these places doing hearing tests but if they come across to people that are very deaf and only use bsl signing
Are the going to get there staff to learn as most hospitals don't have staff that don't sign so is the company going to be any different staff won't sign there is never any support for deaf people can't see how this will work I have two grandchildren that sign and taking them for a hearing test on deaf people is a joke if the staff doing the tests on deaf people and they can't sign

rubysmoke Mon 19-Jan-15 15:17:55

2/2
Would definitely recommend to anyone if they believe their hearing may be affected and will try and persuade my husband to go. no mention made of styles and features. I will not go any further at this point in time, but should my hearing deteriorate further then I will most definitely.

rubysmoke Mon 19-Jan-15 14:06:49

I visited the Derby specsavers this morning - only a bus ride away, about 15 minutes. The original phone call went very smoothly and was offered an appointment the next day but declined as there was a big football match on at the same time. The audiologist was very professional and helpful and explained everything that was being done as it happened. The test itself was painless and involved listening to tones through headphones - you had to press a button when you heard one - As suspected my hearing has gone downhill, and was shown the graphs on the computer that illustrated this. All options were clearly explained and the course of action left to me to decide. You do need to visit your GP and ask for a referral but you can choose where to go to get a hearing aid if necessary

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Jan-15 14:12:21

Lizziehop2 - thanks for this - just to say I think you were so quick off the mark that the message to the centres hadn't been passed on by the time you arrived! smile
Plus to clarify we are asking folks to book private hearing test appointments - not necessarily the aids (if needed).
This test is all about the test only not about any aids which may or may not be needed.

Lizziehop2 Thu 15-Jan-15 14:12:37

I visited Surrey Quays branch after phoning the same morning . It's only one stop on the Jubilee line! Was a bit 'Janet Street Porter' to the chap who answered the phone. He didn't seem to know about the Gransnet link & in fact had to keep asking me questions again . Then said sorry I can't hear you !! Afraid I said maybe you need a hearing test too!!! At no time did he offer to call
me back & he got my name wrong too!!
The Audiologist was very helpful & knowledgeable, although he had no idea what Gransnet was!!!!
Prior to the test when he checked my ears, he found the left ear full of wax & gave me a referral to my GP. Whilst both ears had high velocity hearing loss, he did say the test should be repeated on my left ear after my GP visit .
Whilst I said from the start of the interview that I was only interested in a private hearing aid, he said he would strongly recommend I first have an NHS hearing aid to get used to it.
Have discussed my experience with my husband & suggested he visited them - he has one hearing aid & the Audiologist quite sensibly said if you need 2 (which he does!) why would you not have them - it's like having one lense in your specs!!!!

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Jan-15 10:11:42

This is the thread for the Gransnetters who have been putting Specsavers as a hearing services provider to the test!

Selected testers were asked to go and have a hearing test at their local Specsavers and to report back on the experience and service received.

Specsavers say “It's no secret that there's a bit of a stigma surrounding age-related hearing loss - not surprisingly because it can often be age-related...and having hearing problems isn't something that older people always want to admit to. Having hearing problems can lead to the assumption that someone is "old", and that's a big drawback when it comes to getting the issue sorted. However, we are confident we can provide the right level of support to you at one of our centres and we’re looking forward to hearing how gransnetters got on!"

More info here

Selected testers - please share your responses to the following questions:

~ Which Specsavers hearing care centre did you visit?
~ Why did you want to take part in this project? How old are you and how has your hearing been generally recently?
~ About the centre: was it convenient to get to? How easy was it it make an appointment?
~ Did the audiologist make you feel comfortable?
~ Was the hearing test explained to you at each stage of the process?
Please describe it here...
~ Did having the test make you feel more knowledgeable now about age-related hearing loss?
~ Was any hearing loss detected and is this something that you'd consider pursuing?
~ If so, were all of the options explained to you regarding fitting styles and features?
~ Would you recommend having a hearing test to other gransnetters and to your family and friends (of the same age as you?)

Everyone who takes part and adds feedback as required will be entered into a prize draw where one tester will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice.

Thanks!
GNHQ

PS - if anyone would like to take part in this project please send me a message (via [email protected]) and I will ping you the details!