Gransnet forums

Relationships

STROKE VICTIMS WIFE

(218 Posts)
sparkygran Mon 05-May-14 19:06:24

My DH suffered a severe stroke 4 months ago and we are working hard to resume our lives albeit not the same as before. But today we went to visit friends in the country and having just started our return journey of approx 40 minutes DH needed the loo and as the journey progressed he became so agitated at one stage I feared he was having another stroke we were too far away to turn back and the petrol station I was heading for didn`t have PUBLIC TOILETS so there was nothing for it but to go on home. All was well in the end but I have been left a shuddering wreck and I know it has taken its toll on DH.

Have learnt a lesson toilet before we leave anywhere but is this agitation normal when something is going wrong??????? It was really frightening for me

Purpledaffodil Sat 25-Apr-15 08:13:47

Reported

joan2 Sat 25-Apr-15 07:07:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

durhamjen Thu 12-Mar-15 22:14:23

I went into Durham, and Jack Foley sang this in the market place.
There was another woman my age standing there next to me, and both of us had tears rolling down our faces for at least a quarter of an hour listening to him.

Mishap Thu 12-Mar-15 19:00:50

Three years ago I conducted a choir of over 200 singers singing this song in front of an audience of 1000 - it went down a storm!

sparkygran Thu 12-Mar-15 18:56:46

All together now (thanks durhamjen) let`s go

durhamjen Tue 10-Mar-15 21:54:05

"You raise me up"?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEVvK9Z_9UpywA4BglnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0b2ZrZmU3BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwMl8x?p=jack+foley+you+raise+me+up&tnr=21&vid=D4027ABBB348672B105FD4027ABBB348672B105F&l=291&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608048145612211764%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11ro6861e&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D31R4CzKcxFs&sigr=11brvrmva&tt=b&tit=You+Raise+Me+Up&sigt=10fndcrvg&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Djack%2Bfoley%2Byou%2Braise%2Bme%2Bup%26hsimp%3Dyhs-002%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=136fhrpvo&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

That's what happens when I do youtube.

Purpledaffodil Tue 10-Mar-15 21:12:23

So agree sparkygran. GN has filled a great void for me too as you know. flowers wine and hugs back to all the lovely people in the ether.

sparkygran Tue 10-Mar-15 16:27:32

I have to ask myself the ? what did I ever do without GNet????? There`s a song which has a line that goes something like "you life me up" and that`s what I`m saying to ya`all. Thanks for all the flowerswine[hugs] they are so much appreciated.

Crafting Mon 09-Mar-15 17:26:15

I expect when people say your DH is looking well it's one of those stock phrases that people use when they don't know what to say. I struggle to find things to say to my SIL who is coping with my brothers dementia. Saying it's b****y awful and I don't know how you cope doesn't seem to be uplifting but perhaps would be a better thing to say. Most of us just don't know the right words. When my DH has his strokes other people were trying to be positive for me but unless you've been there yourself it's hard to imagine what others are going through.

flowers to all you wonderful ladies and a big (hug) for anyone who needs it.

rubylady Mon 09-Mar-15 06:47:42

Huge respect to you sparky for your courage and determination over the last year plus since your husband has had his stroke. The posts on here show how strong you have been in helping to get him better and conquering every obstacle thrown at you. You are brilliant, someone to look up to and admire. Well done and I hope that you both go from strength to strength in his recovery. flowers

Ariadne Sun 08-Mar-15 21:57:36

Love to you all, brave, strong women. Xx

Purpledaffodil Sun 08-Mar-15 21:56:40

All I can say is that we must be doing a great job ladies. Like the analogy of the swan, all serene above and paddling like mad where nobody sees.
flowers to us all. Xx

Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 21:13:04

Oh ann - I know this scenario. My OH is really doing very well with his PD for which we are both grateful. But people looking in from the outside who say how well he is (and in many ways they are right) do not know the whole raft of hidden problems that we grapple with. None of these are, I am sure, on a par with the problems that you are facing, but I truly do understand how difficult it is when the public face is different from what goes on behind closed doors.

I hope you are getting all the help you need.

loopylou Sun 08-Mar-15 20:35:26

That's far from unusual for many carers annsixty, and it's so hard. Life isn't 'normal' and you almost have to adopt a different 'coping' face for friends and public life.
It's a roller coaster and how you're feeling is absolutely normal, so don't feel guilty x

annsixty Sun 08-Mar-15 20:19:35

Thanks to those of you who understand. I guess you have had experiences of your own which gives you an insight. My main problem is that my DH is ok for 25% of the time and then I doubt myself,people call and say "oh R is really well" but they don't see the other times and I feel guilty for my own thoughts and then he has whole days of not understanding anything,anxiety and quite frankly paranoia. Well that is my unloading for tonight, I don't do it very often.

Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 19:56:06

Big hugs are very definitely winging their way to both of you. It is a non-stop responsibility and that is what makes it so hard - it is done willingly but we are all only human and are allowed to have moments when we rail against the hand that we have been dealt. A good grumble sometimes helps to relieve the pressure building up and prevents a valve from blowing - how good that you are able to come on here and let off steam.

It is relentless, and not what you would have planned. Hope you can both find a moment to take care of yourself - nice soaky bath while OH asleep?

There is help out there if you need some respite - deciding when it is the right moment to ask for this is a hard one.

Well done for your perseverance. flowers

loopylou Sun 08-Mar-15 19:54:13

Something else our mothers never warned us about I suspect *hmm!
I echo what Lona posted, to you too annsixty
flowers to all GNs who are carers for a loved-one, x

sparkygran Sun 08-Mar-15 19:30:57

Should have checked my spelling and grammar too much wine that`s what I`m pleading

sparkygran Sun 08-Mar-15 19:29:56

OMG merlotgran it was finger nails that need trimming and nose haie - can anyone tell me why do men produce so much nose hair???? Thank you all for your support it really makes a difference flowers to you all

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 19:21:14

Have one of these, wine sparky wink

I had a moment like yours yesterday when DH declared his toenails needed cutting. angry

I always have to drop everything.

kittylester Sun 08-Mar-15 19:20:49

And a huge (((hug))) from me too! wine

Lona Sun 08-Mar-15 19:15:23

Here's a big (((hug))) and some flowers for you sparky and annsixty It must be very hard for you most of the time, and even worse when you don't feel strong.

Alygran Sun 08-Mar-15 19:08:36

Here's my big hug for you and some flowers and wine

annsixty Sun 08-Mar-15 19:04:21

I'm there with you sparky I have to do everything even when I'm feeling under the weather as I have for a few days now. I try to keep a smile on for everyone but at times it is so hard and I want to sit and howl. Like you I will never get my life back and at times it is hard to be positive when you know things will never get better,only worse. I have tried to look back on the good times but mostly can only see the here and now. flowers for you.

loopylou Sun 08-Mar-15 18:52:17

A whopping great hug winging it's way to you Sparkygran, moan just as much as you like.
Life after a stroke, even years later, IMO is tougher on the partner than anyone can imagine and frequently it's the smaller, less significant things that tip the balance. It's an ongoing grief and loss process that pops it's head up now and again. Doing it all inevitably grinds you down and sometimes you cope, other times it floors you.
I certainly can't think of ANYONE who would judge you, so don't beat yourself up.
Take care, flowers x