Gransnet forums

Relationships

Abandoned

(179 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 11-Oct-15 11:10:46

Did anyone see the two page article in the Daily Mail yesterday regarding the amount of elderly who rarely see their successful grown up children or grandchildren, despite being very hands on when grandchildren were small. The problem is huge, the conclusion really was that the grown up children always had something better to do, mom and dad were so low on their list of priorities.

TriciaF Wed 14-Oct-15 17:59:13

I've just read this thread and can hardly believe the touchiness of some er,er .... members ..... er, er .....participants.
For goodness sake, a "victim" culture seems to have spread to our generaton too.
Toughen up, life's not always fair.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Oct-15 09:21:51

I have asked for my post of 21:21:04 yesterday to be deleted. It is thoroughly rescinded.

Also, can I make it clear that the hoo-ha was nothing to do with any argument about the words 'ladies' or 'women'.

Anya Wed 14-Oct-15 08:31:23

Nellie I'm with you and won't be continuing on this thread, but one final thought......there really is no need to address the assembly is there?

Just say what you want to say without the preamble.

Nelliemoser Wed 14-Oct-15 08:26:31

So how do you address a group of largely women on here if you want to refer to them all and not be appearing to be singling out an individual.

You Lot? You guys? People seem to hate that. Ladies Ladies is out. Girls Girls is out. "Now now children play nicely now" would be slammed. I doubt if a wink would make a difference to such sensitive souls.

Perhaps we should all agree on a suitable phrase. I really can't see how this thread has got into this state. However the task of trying to agree on one would probably make things worse.

All this is quite apart from a sureal very private spat that seems to be breaking out on several different threads at the same time.

The original post was at first a sensible discussion.
Off to happier things life is too short.

soontobe Wed 14-Oct-15 08:21:44

Actually I agree with my overall point in the last post, but the words are probably not strictly accurate. I will leave someone else who is good with words to sort it out if they want to.

soontobe Wed 14-Oct-15 08:19:54

Boss is a verb is it not?
So it can be used for all ages.

Anya Wed 14-Oct-15 08:06:32

Or David Cameron's comment to Angela Eagle!

Anya Wed 14-Oct-15 08:02:32

There's nothing wrong with the words 'calm' and 'down' per se. But when you add in 'dear' then you conjure up the late and patronising Micheal Winner in that irritating advert soon

Gracesgran Wed 14-Oct-15 07:49:05

"Boss" ... just how old are we?

soontobe Wed 14-Oct-15 07:45:08

It is the way the word Ladies can be used that can be a problem.

Personally I like the word. But if it is used to boss others then that is a problem.

Alea Wed 14-Oct-15 00:02:01

No rosequartz your post was sanity itself compared to some earlier posts! grin

rosequartz Tue 13-Oct-15 23:47:37

Sadly, it has got beyond silly
Sorry me duck, just trying to cheer everyone up a bit

Possibly the grandparents wouldn't notice the DC or DGC anyway, they are too busy on here .....
ie "we visited granny/grandad and they were just on their iPads all afternoon"

Alea Tue 13-Oct-15 23:44:24

Oh tinaf1, if only!!!
Sadly, it has got beyond silly.
smile

rosequartz Tue 13-Oct-15 23:31:04

I'll add to your list NanKate smile

My lover(s) - only if you are in Devon and not to be taken literally
Me ducks

tinaf1 Tue 13-Oct-15 23:15:49

I am pretty new to these threads but I thought it was supposed to be about the DM article about grandparents not seeing their children or grandchildren

Anya Tue 13-Oct-15 23:10:35

Anyway I'm off to another threas. Follow at your peril little stripes creature.

Anya Tue 13-Oct-15 23:07:16

NotToo I'm glad you agree it's patronising. I'm quite happy for others to disagree that was never a problem. Disagreeing is fine. Name calling and aggression are not!!

Ana Tue 13-Oct-15 23:06:03

Hollow laugh...

Anya Tue 13-Oct-15 23:04:25

Spot on jingl

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 23:01:31

Well done tigger. I hope you make some good contributions to the threads.

NotTooOld Tue 13-Oct-15 23:00:21

Anya - It is patronising, agreed. Perhaps best to let others disagree, though?

Anya Tue 13-Oct-15 23:00:15

NotToo I'm happy to tell you.

I commented that a post that began 'Ladies! Ladies!' was not acceptable. Not the whole post, just the patronising first two word confused.

So, for some reason it was deleted!

I'll probably be banned from GN for ever now!

Ana Tue 13-Oct-15 22:59:37

I'm not claiming the moral high ground tigger. I leave that to others who have far more expertise.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 22:59:15

Yes. There has been some truly pathetic deleting done by GNHQ hasn't there. Why do it bit by bit HQ? Can you not read the thread through and decide for yourselves? Do you have to wait for demands for tit for tat deleting? Pathetic of you! angry

Time for me to be off perhaps. I don't think I want to be part of a forum with such wishy washy HQrs.

Anya Tue 13-Oct-15 22:56:21

NotTooOld I'm quite happy to tell you what triggered all this ... I commented that I thought a post which began 'Ladies! Ladies! ' was a tad patronising.