Gransnet forums

Relationships

Speed dating.

(11 Posts)
rubylady Sun 15-Feb-15 00:18:20

I know I said I won't get down about having Valentine's alone but it was pretty lonely this year, so, I have seen a speed dating event on Meetup website (I go to some of their other meetups) and as I have never been to a speed dating event before and you should try things at least once in life, I wanted to know if anyone on here has ever been to one and if so, what are they like and did anything come of it?

I am not bothered if it is just a laugh really as it will build confidence and I will get to speak to some men for a change. On the other meet ups it tends to be all women and my other social circle is all women. The only men I talk to are my dad, son and brother. I miss the company and laughter of men, not so much relationship wise, although that would be nice but just as friends.

soontobe Sun 15-Feb-15 08:09:47

No I have never been to one, but good for you for trying it.

I always say to people that working, even part time, in a petrol fuel service station, would ensure continual short conversations with many men.
Just saying in case anyone is interested!

rubylady Sun 15-Feb-15 22:39:20

Yeah, good idea soontobe. I'm just going to resort to tripping them up! grin

soontobe Mon 16-Feb-15 10:17:38

grin

DotMH55 Sat 21-Mar-15 19:18:21

I was wondering about speed dating but most events seem to be aimed at the 30 and under groups. I have dabbled in internet dating but although I have been honest and said in my profile I had caring responsibility for my grandchildren I only seem to have replies from men looking for someone with no responsibilities. It seems very difficult to meet single men. Even when I was working full time most of the men I worked with were married or otherwise spoken for!

janerowena Sat 21-Mar-15 21:03:27

I have a couple of friends who tried it. I think they both found it scary at first, and were surprised by which ones liked them, in particular. (they get feedback) However although one stopped, the other carried on and although she hasn't met anyone to share her life with, she has met several very good male friends to go out with for a drink occasionally. Also several more very good female friends, which she hadn't expected.

DanielLee555 Thu 26-Mar-15 10:36:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

janerowena Thu 26-Mar-15 12:04:17

Maybe people hope for instant attraction? It does happen in friendships, doesn't it. I had some lovely acquaintances in this village, but it's only since a 'newbee' moved in three years ago that I found a really good friend. I knew as soon as I saw her that we would be friends.

joan2 Sat 25-Apr-15 07:06:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jane10 Sat 25-Apr-15 07:12:51

Previous post reported

aggie Sat 25-Apr-15 09:17:35

Yawnnnnnnnnnn