Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Lovely distraction; live eaglet watch

(5 Posts)
sukie Wed 14-Feb-24 16:21:18

This live cam site was brought to my attention on last nights evening news. A pair of bald eagles named Jackie and Shadow are incubating 3 eggs high in a nest near Big Bear California. It's reported the eggs could begin hatching by 2/29/24.
The eagles are majestic and the scenery when the camera pans out is incredible. It's provided a lovely distraction for us during a difficult time. smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4-L2nfGcuE

MiniMoon Wed 14-Feb-24 19:01:25

I watch Jackie and Shadow on YouTube while I await the return of our ospreys. I love the ups and downs of bird life, its such a precarious time when the chicks are newly hatched.
Tha Manton Bay osprey nest is live and has been visited by a pair of Egyptian geese. Someone has been today and put a dustbin lid on the nest to deter them.

sukie Wed 14-Feb-24 22:57:47

MiniMoon I just bookmarked the Manton Bay osprey live and will keep an eye on it as well, thank you! I see the dustbin lid resting on the nest. Do you know why someone would want to deter them?

MiniMoon Wed 14-Feb-24 23:15:48

The returning ospreys would have a hard time taking the nest back from the Egyptian geese particularly if they had laid eggs. The ospreys are expected about the middle of March. They are Maya and 33.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 15-Feb-24 08:11:37

I love those live web can feeds. I even watch the sea at my favourite Cornish beach🙂, but the birds ones are delightful.