Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wrap up and stay alive.

(15 Posts)
Elegran Tue 01-Dec-15 11:31:07

(Picture doesn't come with article - I just liked it)
"Woolly hats and turning up heating 'could save lives' in winter" says a headline. Traching granny to suck eggs again? Yes, but this goes along with a warning that more people die in countries with warmer winters simply because they allow themselves to get too cold.

"The winter death rate of Athens is far higher than that of Finland. . . . It also occurs in the UK. Scotland has proportionately fewer winter deaths than other parts of the UK. Wales and Northern Ireland have fewer than England.

"Dr Catherine Calderwood, chief medical officer for Scotland, said: "We know that there are more deaths in winter in all countries but what's a very interesting paradox is that if you live in a country that is warm for the rest of the year there are more deaths in winter in those countries, even at higher temperatures."

"We think that this is because people don't insulate their homes as well in warmer countries and also that they don't take other precautions when they are going outside, so they are not wearing the right clothes, hats and gloves, so they are much more exposed to those colder temperatures."

Speaking about the differences between Scotland and England, Dr Calderwood said: "We think we are just better at looking after ourselves in the colder weather."

Get knitting!

Indinana Tue 01-Dec-15 12:15:12

That is very interesting. I am constantly amazed at the number of people I see, on what I consider coat and hat weather, walking about in short sleeves and sandals. Sometimes with tiny tots in pushchairs similarly dressed. Or should I say undressed shock

Indinana Tue 01-Dec-15 12:16:04

In, not on.

Marmight Tue 01-Dec-15 12:39:56

I have just seen one of our local GP's walking through the village in shirt sleeves; it's 3 degrees tchshock; no doubt he will be on the sick list next..... And our postman is still wearing shorts tchhmm
It's true about insulation in hot countries. DD's house is 6' above ground with only floor boards between them and the earth which is wonderful in 40* but in winter it's terrible - no wonder they are often sick.

Alea Tue 01-Dec-15 12:50:01

Somebody somewhere is bound to tell us how we don't know how to dress for winter in the UK tchhmm. tchwink

(It is windy but sunny and mild here today and I have had my winter coat and boots on a total of TWICE so far this Winter.)

annodomini Tue 01-Dec-15 13:03:23

It's only this week that I have added an extra layer and that's only a tee shirt under a jumper or tunic. However, gloves are a must as my hands get far colder than the rest of me.

Ana Tue 01-Dec-15 13:05:51

Yes, Alea, we're so bad at Winter in this country, apparently! tchgrin

Anya Tue 01-Dec-15 13:20:19

Just passed a young man in the town centre walking in bare feet hmm - he looked ordinary enough - well dressed, not muttering to himself or inebriated. Very odd!

However I think this is about people who let their houses get too cold and who can't keep their body temperature at a safe level. I understand they can get disorientated and not be able to realise they need warn themselves up, and it can spiral out of control.

ninathenana Tue 01-Dec-15 13:38:33

I haven't worn my winter coat yet. 13 deg. here today so still wearing a thick aran style long line cardigan over jersey long sleeved top. I don't possess thick jumpers or vests.
It has to be really cold for me to wear a hat and scarf.

Charleygirl Tue 01-Dec-15 14:02:37

I do not wear boots, hat, scarf or gloves but I do like my body to be warm wearing layers.

The minute the sun comes out and I go shopping I see people in short sleeves and shorts and I have a winter jacket on over a 100% woollen cardigan and trousers on.

I went to see my GP this am and her room was so hot that I was almost passing out.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Dec-15 14:14:28

I like that piccy! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Dec-15 14:16:52

it's a myth that you lose most of your body heat through your head

Earmuffs are good though.

loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 16:00:02

I very, very rarely wear a hat, the last time I can remember was January 1978 in Lenigrad (as it was then) at -45° tchgrin
I haven't worn a winter coat or boots yet either, but I do wear scarves.

Postman here wears shorts all year round, must be hardy (or daft?)

rosequartz Tue 01-Dec-15 16:10:25

Marmight I know just what you mean; I have been frozzen in Queensland because there were only floorboards - with gaps in between - between us and the ground in a Queenslander, added to which the walls are thin and there is no heating!

I have been far too hot today in the shops, wearing a thin top and thin jacket (and trousers of course!).

Tegan Tue 01-Dec-15 16:42:26

I seem to really feel the cold these days but find that a hot bath makes me stay warm for hours afterwards. When I worked in a really cold office the only thing that warmed me up was a hot bath when I got home [a friend of mine whose daughter worked outside for long hours said she did the same].