Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Help us choose a winner - The Churchill Awards

(128 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-Oct-14 17:48:31

The awards scheme - run by leading retirement developer, Churchill Retirement Living - is designed to honour the work of the UK’s over 65s and celebrates the significant role older people have to play in British society. The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months and winners are decided upon by a panel of expert judges.

I've been invited to join the judging panel to champion the ‘Politics’ category and would love gransnetters' nominations to recognise people active in the political arena aged over 65 who have made a significant contribution in the last 12 months to their field.

Please add your nominations to the thread by 31st October 2014.

I'll be presenting them to the judging panel in Novmber - and the winners will be announced later in the year.

Spencer McCarthy, chairman and group managing director of Churchill Retirement Living, comments: “There are 10 million people in the UK that are over 65 years old. The older generation remain vital to the health of our society, they have substantial spending power, and they represent a significant proportion of the popular vote and will continue to increase as a percentage of the overall population. Yet our research has shown that as a society we tend to view older people as simply old - not as ex-war heroes, ex-Olympic athletes, previous captains of industry or lifelong teachers and nurses.

“Increasingly the over 65s play an important role in all realms of society – in politics, art, scientific research older people are still at the forefront of excellence in their field. As a group the older generation has an awful lot to still contribute to society and we wanted to honour and recognise that contribution.”

You can find out more about the Churchill Awards here and about Churchill here

Anniebach Wed 04-Mar-15 14:49:29

Thrilled to learn this, thank you

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Mar-15 11:44:31

Just wanted to let you know that the judges voted on the shortlist and the winner was...Ann Clwyd

She was presented with her award last week and was absolutely thrilled to have been chosen.

Other winners included Michael Morpurgo, John Timpson, John Rutter, Len Goodman and Lynda Bellingham (whose husband made an incredibly moving speech as he accepted the award)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Nov-14 13:11:45

You can't please all of the people all of the time.....

#butCariwishesshecould grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Nov-14 10:17:55

Sorry all - took a few days off so couldn't get back to you before but posthumous is fine and in answer to other queries - I am drawing up a shortlist of who you have nominated and why and how many people wanted the same person. Will be submitting the shortlist to Churchill today and then meeting with the panel of judges at the end of next week where the choices will be discussed and voted on.

Running through the list there are some great names and very worthy winners. Shame there can only be one.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 09:56:52

The Telegraph are in on it. So it will get some publicity.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 09:55:55

I just want Efanu to get an award. What's wrong with that? Sod who's giving it out.

POGS Mon 03-Nov-14 09:38:14

River walk

We don't see eye to eye on many subjects but I totally agree with your post.

Eloethan Mon 03-Nov-14 00:28:57

Riverwalk You're quite right. I should have looked at the links provided in the OP. Like most of these awards, it's just a means of raising the profile of the sponsor.

It seems from what I've heard that retirement developments end up being bad value for money and very difficult to sell on.

I agree with you that nobody should waste their time and energy getting into a spat about it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 19:41:48

grin

Riverwalk Sun 02-Nov-14 18:47:41

This 'award' is a load of shite!

Is there a monetary element to it, like the Nobel Prize?

If the late FGM lady wins will there be a donation to an appropriate charity?

Jings and Jen I'm truly surprised that you two, in particular, are getting into a spat over a prize given out by property developers!!

And one for GNHQ - you are using a pic of Winston Churchill to promote this illustrious award - does his family have anything to do with it?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 17:52:22

Anyway, no point in arguing it out if all the nominations are going to be put forward anyway.

Perhaps the occasional bit of guidance from HQ would be helpful. By if they can't be bothered, then why should we?

It's only advertising rubbish anyway.

I've got a chocolate cake to partake of now. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 17:47:48

Put it this way. It is probably not uppermost in their minds. Of course anyone would be distressed at injustice in the Courts, or anywhere. But it doesn't figure in most people's daily lives.

The many threads on GN do indicate that many on here care strongly about fgm. Don't you?

durhamjen Sun 02-Nov-14 17:36:35

So you think that the majority of grandparents do not care about criminal justice?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 17:32:17

I meant exactly what I said. It's clear enough. Can't see any need for further explanation.

durhamjen Sun 02-Nov-14 17:15:21

"That Trust was originally set up under the Stephen Lawrence name, but now it has become more about criminal justice in general. And what is that to the majority of Grandparents?"

Your words, jingle. Perhaps you can explain what you did mean.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 16:56:17

I just hope you, jendurham,are not suggesting that I am"belittling" anything to do with the Stephen Lawrence case. I have started threads on here in the past and met no response. I have every sympathy and respect for Mrs Lawrence.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 16:35:04

I think I have had this wrong. I thought we had to choose one nominee.
Totally confused so will get off the thread.

durhamjen Sun 02-Nov-14 16:19:34

I think all the nominations so far will show gransnet up in a good light.
Cari does not say how many she can put before the judging panel.

So are you saying that criminal justice is not important to the majority of grandparents? You would not say that if it was your grandson who was not getting justice because there was no way he could be supported in court because of the changes in the legal aid system.
Imagine discovering that your grandson's father was an undercover policeman and you really thought he was someone else all these years.
The Trust was set up because Stephen Lawrence did not get justice all those years ago. His mother is now in the House of Lords because she has fought for justice for her son all this time. I would not like to belittle that.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 15:43:31

Not cynical at all. That Trust was originally set up under the Stephen Lawrence name, but now it has become more about criminal justice in general. And what is that to the majority of Grandparents?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 15:40:28

As a by the by, which of the nominations on here do you think would show Gransnet up in a good light? And at the same time shed light on a worthwhile subject?

You have to take all aspects into consideration.

durhamjen Sun 02-Nov-14 15:32:14

So cynical.

For those who haven't read it, these are the pertinent paragraphs.

Speaking at the Stephen Lawrence Second Annual Criminal Justice Lecture, Michael Mansfield QC said:
“Following in the wake of cash for questions, cash for special access, the expenses scandal, the constant influence of private vested interests, the Leveson and Chilcot Inquiry revelations and the Snowden files, this latest exposure of the secret state demonstrates the ultimate unaccountable face of our threadbare democratic system. There is a real disenchantment about the state of the nation”.

The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust, set up in 1998, is fully committed to help secure better and more equal criminal justice in the UK.

Baroness Doreen Lawrence of Clarendon OBE commented:
‘I am pleased that Michael Mansfield QC agreed to deliver this year’s criminal justice lecture. The title of this year’s lecture is appropriate considering the revelation in media coverage on undercover policing and behaviour of some police officers. I think the audience appreciated having someone like Mr Mansfield QC who has great understanding of the law giving his insight and hopefully some solutions to the debate’.

The Second Annual Criminal Justice Lecture was officially sponsored by the Daily Mail and the TUC.

Stephen's mother had no faith in the criminal justice system, which is one reason the trust was set up.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 14:47:25

Right. So nothing really to do with Stephen. Just general working for criminal justice.

Fine, if you have no faith in the UK's excellent justice system.

Ana Sun 02-Nov-14 14:24:26

'The Second Annual Criminal Justice Lecture was officially sponsored by the Daily Mail and the TUC.'

Strange bedfellows!

durhamjen Sun 02-Nov-14 13:34:47

This year, jingle.

www.stephenlawrence.org.uk/events/cjl-2014

He's very political and there's nothing the establishment can do about him.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 02-Nov-14 12:55:55

And the fact that he wants to chair the Child abuse investigation could muddy the waters.

#Efanu.