Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Dear GNHQ

(13 Posts)
rubysong Tue 13-Oct-15 23:14:25

I agree with bags. If it's individual size we called it a bun, (if the top was cut off, halved and put back on butter cream as 'wings' it was a butterfly bun). If it needed cutting up it was a cake. 'Cup cake' is, I think, an Americanism.

Ana Tue 13-Oct-15 22:09:01

They were called Fairy Cakes in my day...(well, my childhood! grin)

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Oct-15 22:06:58

But.... but... cupcakes are sooo cute! sad cupcake < smile

Crafting Tue 13-Oct-15 20:57:13

jings you're on the wrong thread. The "buns" thread "Love the message" is closer to the bottom of the threads list. grin

Alea Tue 13-Oct-15 10:10:39

After all the tosh correspondence on politics/newspapers/weighty issues it is a huge relief to get back to serious threads about cake, cupcakes, buns and (maybe pretty please?) chocolate hobnobs baked goods.
smile Happy!!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:09:07

Not sure how that holds up after you've added butter though! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:08:17

Iced buns are the lowest calorie buns you can buy.

#studieditcarefully

Elegran Tue 13-Oct-15 10:04:59

I call a cake a bun too. Not always, but you can't rule it out. A cake is sweeter and prettier than a bun, though it doesn't have to be iced. a bun is probably plainer, but not necessarily.

Then again, you can get iced buns, which are made of yeast dough and very nice split and spread with butter.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:00:15

bags you can't call a cake a bun! hmm

ie:

Chelsea bun
Iced bun
Currant bun

Madeira cake
Lemon drizzle cake
Cut-and-come-again cake

smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 09:57:40

Oh. And is it LucyGNHQ's birthday today please?

I think that's all for now.

thatbags Tue 13-Oct-15 09:53:23

Or even 'bun', which is what we always called them. A cake is like this birthday3 (not always with candles).

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 09:51:49

And can you make the blueing of links show up better, please. (Save doing another request smile)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 09:43:20

Would it be possible to change the typing requirement for cupcake to just 'cake'? Cupcakes are so last year (or ,several years ago).

I believe there was no mention at all of cupcakes on the latest edition of Bake-off. smile

Thank you. x