Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Petticoats

(62 Posts)
suebailey1 Tue 29-Jul-14 12:51:20

Juts got back from our big Tuesday market. There was a stall that always has traditional nighties but today had lots of full and half slips (petticoats) - anyone still wear them?

Purpledaffodil Wed 06-Aug-14 19:23:33

SueBailey1. My aunt was a Spirella lady. I think it was deemed to be an acceptable job for a middle class lady who could not be seen to go out to work. Spirella had a large factory in Letchworth which is no longer there of course.

AlieOxon Sat 02-Aug-14 11:30:51

Oh, I still (living in trousers) yearn for a gingham dress seen then in a window on a day trip to Belfast! Red, with three tiers to the skirt....

dorsetpennt Sat 02-Aug-14 10:22:03

I remember the full gingham dresses worn in the late 1950/60's with a multi layered petticoat underneath so the skirt stuck out. My father said I looked like a walking lampshade. Sometimes we wore more then one petticoat for better effect. Also we used to soak them in sugar-water for the same reason. Ah happy days.

feetlebaum Sat 02-Aug-14 09:30:00

@SuFlay - that was a very pretty look, and one which I enjoyed...

Pittcity Sat 02-Aug-14 09:18:33

My great grandad travelled in ladies corsets!!

He was a salesman for Charles Bayer. Always struck me as a strange job for a man, but I suppose women didn't work back then.

SuFlay Fri 01-Aug-14 14:41:25

I can remember the broderie anglaise petty showing under skirt in the early 70s but I can remember before then when it was all the rage to have a gingham dress with a VERY full skirt and the broderie showing. My mum made me one. The material cost 3/11 a yard from the market and I had a pair of white slip ons to go with it. I had a blue and white one and my best friend had a pink and white one. I think it was a bridgette Bardot fashion. We had paper nylon petticoats under it too and I can remember us sitting in the bus to go somewhere and the skirts all cocking up and not fitting in the bus seats.

sherish Fri 01-Aug-14 14:15:31

Oh rosesarered, yes I do remember roll-ons. I too wore one in my teens. It was like putting a sausage skin on. My Mum still wore something similar until she died last year aged 98. It was probably a corselette but she still called it her roll-on.

rosesarered Fri 01-Aug-14 13:20:44

I have a half slip that lives at the back of the lingerie drawer in case I need it, as others say an unlined skirt sometimes requires it.All my dresses [all 3]already have linings.
Remember 'roll-ons'? Small corsets, I wore one from about 14 to 18, no idea why as I was a size 10.

suebailey1 Fri 01-Aug-14 10:02:34

There used to be a lady in most neighbourhoods who measured for corsets I think it was called Spirella or something like that. I seem to remember ne in our road and she was a very haughty lady, very well set up as they used to say and a never ending stream of what my mother called ' stout' women would call for appointments.

dorsetpennt Fri 01-Aug-14 09:59:36

A friend and I were talking about this subject recently. I never saw a Liberty Bodice, I suppose we didn't have them in Canada where I spent my early childhood. But, I do remember full and half slips. The petticoat was worn with a dress and a slip with a skirt. My grandmother was horrified when she found that I was slip-less once. Some were really pretty, but I felt that a lot of slips used to cling to your stockings especially the cheaper ones. What about garter belts and girdles? What horrors they were and so uncomfortable. I never wore a girdle but my grandmother had a Playtex one . All elastic and stocking holders, it seemed huge to me and I watched with some amusement as she would wrestle with it to get it on. Undies seem to be disappearing fast with girls wearing tiny knicks and bras. My grandmother was an Edwardian and would have been horrified at what is on show these days.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 13:01:29

B. nuisance it was too....

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 13:01:09

But when I had a 'half slip' - IT clung....

Agus Thu 31-Jul-14 12:41:56

I'm just assuming Alie but possibly because the coats had no lining and the petty coat was worn underneath to stop whatever fabric the coat was made of irritating the skin. This was then adapted over the years for comfort and in the case of clothing without a lining an undergarment was necessary for skirts and dresses to stop them clinging.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 12:04:04

I found this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petticoat which explains...

But in the 60s they were NOT meant to be seen, and one episode of Dr.Who got this wrong!

(Your show is slipping?)

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 12:01:10

Yes Agus but I was thinking, how has this become an undergarment?

oznan Thu 31-Jul-14 11:10:58

I remember that saying Nancy Drew-wonder how on earth it started? I sometimes still wear a half slip in summer as skirts seem to be so see-through these days!Come the cold weather though,I'm a jeans and jumper gal.

dustyangel Thu 31-Jul-14 10:30:42

I can remember soaking mine in sugar water and hanging it on the line to drip dry. When I looked at it later it was covered in wasps. Still wore it out though.

Agus Thu 31-Jul-14 10:21:23

The origin of petticoats comes from 'petty coats' (small coats). These were light garments worn by men under their coats or doublets. As it was male orientated I am thinking maybe the petty comes from the French petit and they were possibly worn by those at court in French upper class society.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 08:51:19

I had a hooped petticoat. At the time the joke was that it was one petticoat per drawer!

Never heard of pettipants, but good idea.
...come to think of it, why are petticoats called that??

feetlebaum Thu 31-Jul-14 08:47:06

I sometimes think the fact that my second wife took up trouser wearing in a big way, probably laid the seeds of our future breakup and divorce...

penguinpaperback Thu 31-Jul-14 08:16:19

Yes Pittcity I remember those. I was 18,19 at the time and wore my favourite one all summer. We all looked like extras from Little House on the Prairie. smile

FlicketyB Thu 31-Jul-14 07:46:18

I do not think I have worn, or possessed a petticoat for over 30 years.

whenim64 Wed 30-Jul-14 23:11:54

I wore two net underskirts to go to the youth club in the early sixties, stiffened by ironing them after spraying on sugar water. Two wasps plagued me the whole way, and the scratchy net laddered my stockings. grin

Purpledaffodil Wed 30-Jul-14 23:04:17

Thanks JoyBloggs for the sugar water affirmation. It seemed such an unlikely idea. Didn't it attract ants? Don't remember it being a problem anyway. I never had a hooped petticoat [sigh] but I do remember scratchy net ones which were called can can petticoats I believe.
What will today's girls have to remember with nostalgia? I cannot imagine anyone getting misty eyed over thongs and g stringsgrin

Charleygirl Wed 30-Jul-14 21:49:31

I discovered about 6 of these "slips" the other day and as I also only wear trousers now, I have no idea what to do with them. They are in too good a condition to throw out so they will probably stay in a drawer for another 10 years or so.