Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Summer clothes

(55 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 12-Aug-14 19:23:16

I have far too many Summer clothes, and not enough Autumn/Winter ones.
I don't know quite why I have bought so many Summery things, but the wardrobe is stuffed with them , and even though it's been a great Summer so far, there is not enough time to wear half of them!My theory is that Summer clothes are prettier, so I just buy more, but no more now for at least 3 years.

Elegran Wed 03-Sep-14 09:20:39

I don't. It looks as though the wearer is so poverty-stricken they can't afford warm clothes to suit the weather so they wear everything they possess.

rosequartz Wed 03-Sep-14 10:17:12

pittcity ok at your age (and you look slim in your photo!) but I would just look daft or like mutton trying to hide the podgy tum! grin

Pittcity Wed 03-Sep-14 12:10:45

Yes it does hide a multitude of sins and it is also easy to remove layers when the hot flushes hit.

Elegran, DH agrees with you but I rarely agree with him where women's fashion is concerned. wink

NanKate Wed 03-Sep-14 14:47:31

pittcity you wear what you want when you want. That's the lovely thing about getting older (I do realise you are one of the young ones on the site) I ignore others' opinions on fashion and wear just what pleases me. smile

janerowena Wed 03-Sep-14 16:19:06

I agree, pittcity. But I think the older generation associate it with lack of clothing during the years of rationing. In these days of central heating a summer dress over thick tights or legging, topped with a jumper can be very practical. And why do we have to wear darker clothes in winter? I love colour, but even so find myself picking darker shades. I wear pale-coloured cashmere jumpers in the summer, why not in the winter when they are exactly the same thickness?

Nonnie Wed 03-Sep-14 16:42:30

I have a very good answer to this, we go on holiday somewhere hot in mid-October for 4 weeks so I get to wear them all again and I often wear part summer part winter when we go to the theatre in the winter.

In the spring I went through my wardrobe and sorted out everything I didn't think I would wear and gave it all away.

granjura Wed 03-Sep-14 17:32:25

My Summer clothes are with me in Tuscany - and it's cold and rainy, grrrrrrrrrrrr. Friends arriving from UK on Saturday so hope it will improve soon. Have not a single warm top with me.

rubylady Thu 04-Sep-14 01:28:34

My summer wardrobe is also my winter wardrobe thanks to these lovely hot sweats. No central heating for me this year!

missnagi Thu 04-Sep-14 07:44:19

Hi share with me latest design in women clothes.
* New desgien Salwar Kameez
* Latest Anarkali Dress
* Bollywood Dressess

Pittcity Thu 04-Sep-14 08:15:39

Thank you all for defending me. I have gone through my wardrobe and the only Summer stuff I put away in Autumn are a few items that I would only ever wear on the beach or privacy of our garden when the temperature is over 25 and a couple of thin long dresses. I bring out thick woollies and heavy trousers. Layers mean that I can mix and match for more different outfits from less clothes.

BTW, having met elegran I know that we still love each other wink

Marelli Thu 04-Sep-14 08:28:50

Pittcity, I layer with cottony long tunics, leggings/jeggings and a short woolly top, too! I'm a long-bodied person and feel most comfy in these sort of clothes. There are some lovely 'short' jumpers which look ridiculous on me and feel so uncomfortable because they don't come far enough down onto my hips, but if I wear a long tunic/short dress, I can still wear these!
I met you at the Edinburgh meet up last Christmas, and I love your style! smile

Pittcity Thu 04-Sep-14 08:40:35

Thanks marelli. I do like comfy and covering. I abide by the legs or cleavage, never both mantra.
The brilliant thing about GN is that I am sat now in mismatched PJs covered in toast crumbs and discussing style!

Marelli Thu 04-Sep-14 09:12:34

grin!!

Elegran Thu 04-Sep-14 09:24:53

I wasn't attacking, Pittcity so you don't need those defenders! You wear what you want, and you looked great last December,so I am sure you always will.

Janerowena is almost right about the reason older people don't think much of mixing floaty summer cottons/ winter woollies. My reason is that in the 50s and 60s, when I was either at school or teaching, I saw a lot of children from hard-up families who had received cast-off clothes from charities.

Most of those seemed to be heavy jumpers that the previous owner had found too bulky, and thin dresses that had been worn for several summers already, or a once-worn fancy party dress. Many of the mothers who received these things had no idea of how to wash things effectively, or mend minor tears, so the poor kids would wear a draggled nylon frilly dress with a matted wool jumper over it. It advertised their status as "charity kids" - and it is the reason that people would rather be given money to buy new than accept other people's rubbish.

Nelliemoser Thu 04-Sep-14 09:53:04

JaneRowena I like you concept of who the "older generation" are.

"the older generation associate it with lack of clothing during the years of rationing"!
Does that mean that as a 1948 born post war child I am not included as the older generation? Yippee!!!

Can I have that in writing. grin

kittylester Thu 04-Sep-14 10:00:50

Nellie me too! grin

I've just put my summer clothes ( linen and flimsy stuff) away! sad

janerowena Thu 04-Sep-14 11:03:32

grin No, I think of 'older' as above 80 now. Apologies to all over 80s. I have been looking at photos on facebook of my aunts and uncles, and also with my mother and stepfather in mind, they all seem to have suddenly aged in that strange way that people do. You know when someone looks the same for years, and then all of a sudden, they look older? They have all just reached around the 80 mark and suddenly look old.

However, I do have a few older friends who don't look a day over 70. And there is a lady in our village that I had thought was 80 - but she is 105! Still compos mentis and living alone and doing everything. Amazing.

Nonnie Thu 04-Sep-14 13:56:07

'older' is and probably always will be 10 years older than I am!

Pittcity Thu 04-Sep-14 15:20:51

I agree with Nonnie. I know I am a baby compared with a lot of you being a child of the 60s. My Mum is almost 80 and still insists that she will never be older than 38.

janerowena, yes you cannot judge age by looks. I sat opposite a lady on the train who struck up a conversation with me because DS had fallen asleep on my shoulder. I assumed she was older than me because of her clothes (beige head to toe), grey hair, wrinkles etc. Turned out, once I told her about my grandson, that she was only 42! blush

elegran smile

numberplease Thu 04-Sep-14 16:09:17

I just wear the same things all year round, adding or substracting cardigans or jumpers where necessary. Not through poverty, although we aint well off, but because I can`t be bothered having a set summer and winter wardrobe.

Elegran Thu 04-Sep-14 16:20:15

I could be your mum, Pittcity!

Nine years ago I was in hospital having a lumpectomy. In the side ward with me were three other women - from their looks I assumed we were all about the same age. Then the conversation turned to our children, and two of them were amazed to hear that my oldest child was forty. Turned out they were both ten years younger than me (I was sixty-six). It was the fourth who amazed everyone, though - she was ten years older than me.

Guess which two were the smokers, trailing outside for a drag several times a day in their dressing-gowns, pulling their drip stands behind them? And which two were the non-smokers?

EmilyHarburn Thu 04-Sep-14 20:53:52

I have not learned to use Ebay yet. I rely on a local charity bin, a charity shop and hopefully in the future also a dress agency I discovered.

I am fortunate that I had my colours done by a colour me beautiful consultant in 1992. Now I liaise with my local consultant. Most things I buy will coordinate immediately with items in my wardrobe. If I am not sure of the colour i.e. something I have ordered by mail and looks different in the packet to how it looked on screen, I drop into the consultant's shop and discuss it. If I need an item that does not seem to be in the shops i.e. a 3/4 sleeve top with a square neck the same consultant will locate it for me in a catalogue, which I then take home and order from. I seem to fit clothes made in Germany so buy from 2 dress shops where the owner makes a personal trip to Germany to stock clothes. I try to buy at sale time.

jackiekiel Fri 05-Sep-14 09:14:31

Try online fashion house Isabi. Their softly tailored styles are kind to wear and perfect for between the seasons layering. Asymmetric hems, cowl necks and waist-skimming dresses are classic but quirky.

Nonnie Fri 05-Sep-14 10:15:22

I am often surprised to discover the age of others I meet and think a lot of it is about body language and attitude. Some people just seem to give up being interested or interesting at quite an early age and give the impression of being a lot older than they are. Yes, clothes have an impact too and a friend and I shop together, I stop her buying beige and she stops me buying black and white. It works well for us and we are both putting off being old.

EmilyHarburn Sun 07-Sep-14 12:13:37

Just looked at Isabi. Thanks jackiekiel. Looks great. I have my eye on getting a dress one day. The colour me beautiful consultant gave me a copy of the Kettlewell catalogue. Hoping to get some tops to coordinate with jackets and trousers I have already got.

I am delighted Nonnie that you say you are not buying black and white for everyday wear. I have a small section of my wardrobe which I call the funeral section. Unfortunately at 70 plus I go to at-least 2 funerals every year. When the moment comes, I don't have a problem finding a suitable outfit in my funeral section but not for every day.

The exception for me is an Eastex black dress decorated with beads etc. I wear the dress to formal dinners and even to the opera in Hungary with a deep fuchsia, artificial silk jacket with diamanté buttons. I have a black velvet Estee Laude cloak that I have not worn for years. I dust it off from time to time to thwart the moths.

Taking Numberpleases' point now I am not working id do not have such distinctive winter and summer wardrobes. I tend to wear a thin pair of longjohns under my summer trousers if it is winter and I am going to be outside.