Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair - grey or highlights?

(65 Posts)
Nanabelle Sun 14-Sep-14 23:51:58

My hair has grow to shoulder length (which hides the grey underneath) but I fancy a change, so will probably go for layers, but keeping the length (for now). I used to have it coloured with foils, (done at local college training salon) but a few years ago there was a "mishap" and it just turned out brown! I decided to leave it for a while and let this colour grow out. Now I have lots of grey and what isn't grey doesn't really have any colour. I wish it would all go white/silver, as I think that is a lovely look. Wonder whether to go back to highlights again.

What do you do? And if you go for disguising the grey, how often do you get it done?

Anne58 Fri 27-Mar-15 07:02:50

Reported

waltercook Fri 27-Mar-15 05:22:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lundylinda Sun 21-Sep-14 17:55:33

Oh that's encouraging. I think I will venture to the hairdressers in that case. Thank you. I'm just around the coast from you, in Hele Bay.

Ariadne Sun 21-Sep-14 17:21:33

lundylinda (are you near Lundy? I am in Bideford) when I finished chemo, about 10 years ago, and my hair came back three different shades of grey, I dyed it what my daughter calls "menopausal mahogany". I had always been blonde, and fancied a change. But very soon I realised it wasn't me, and went, with much trepidation, and had it stripped and recoloured.

Quite honestly, the stripping was fine - a lengthy process but it didn't damage the hair at all. I had been rather worried about that. And since then, I have all over colour and lots of silver highlights, and love it.

I do wish that my hair had gone white, or silver, but it hasn't and so I have it coloured regularly and am happy to do so.

lundylinda Sun 21-Sep-14 16:38:24

I have been wondering how successful stripping colour from hair is. I've used colour for years but must be completely grey underneath now. Would like to see the natural me but letting the colour grow out naturally would take ages as I have longish hair.

penguinpaperback Sat 20-Sep-14 12:46:58

I've lost all my hair twice to chemo but each time it has grown back exactly as before. Thick and none of the chemo curls you sometimes find when your hair first grows back. I keep it a short, slightly messy style and it's naturally black, (Italian Great Grandmother) with a few strands of grey which I quite like.

Milly Sat 20-Sep-14 12:07:09

I was interested in what Nonnie said, as recently changed my hair dye to a darker shade, in order to cover the white that will keep coming through! Then realized the colour was the same as my eyebrows, and maybe that was my original colour years ago, - I have forgotten, as have been colouring my hair for fun for years, and now for necessity. I did think of not bothering but when I asked my daughters they both wanted me to continue so shall do so.

Marmight Fri 19-Sep-14 15:15:25

Just gone with nature and I am silver/white. I miss having thick almost black hair, but decided quite a few years ago to age gracefully. The only downside is I can't wear certain colours any more but it's good to experiment with new colours.

Ana Fri 19-Sep-14 13:15:04

Can't get that in the UK, Tricia, which is unfortunate because I'm always looking for colourants which last 6-8 shampoos. There is a discount chemist in my local town which sells Harmony, but only a very limited range of colours.

TriciaF Fri 19-Sep-14 13:01:21

My hair used to be auburn, now mostly mid-brown with grey starting around my face. So I still colour it - I use a non-permanent colour, Dedicace from L'Oreal. Leaves my hair shiny. Colour light chestnut, which fades, (6-8 shampooings) especially in the summer. Lasts longer in winter.
It's a bit cheaper than permanent colours.

bioniknan Fri 19-Sep-14 10:20:31

embrace the grey be proud as long as you have a nice modern hair cut all that expensive hair dye is a waste of money.

TwiceAsNice Wed 17-Sep-14 18:21:29

I have gone quietly grey over the years from a bit to all over. I have always coloured my hair at the hairdressers and have been going to my present hairdresser happily since it opened nearby 11 years ago. Earlier this year I was ill for several months and lived with my daughter as I was recuperating. Her salon cut my hair but wouldn't colour it without a patch test which I never got around to arranging. I hated the all over grey two tone colour I was left with and as soon as I was home again returned to the my own hairdresser for my usual all over light brown colour with lighter highlights. I am me again and feel much better about myself now the grey is banished. I intend to grow old disgracefully like the lady in the poem who wore purple!

janerowena Wed 17-Sep-14 18:03:49

I should be fine with it then, as I too used to be what was known as a strawberry blonde. I've used beige washes for years to tone it out, as once DBH looked at me under a pink lampshade and accused me of having orange hair. It was definitely an accusation!

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Sep-14 13:16:08

janerowena The colour I am now using is Nice'n easy Shade 8CB
(previously 103B)
Natural Medium Champagne Blonde.

Up until recently I used Honey Blonde but bought the Champagne Blonde in error and was glad I did so.
The Honey Blonde for years really suited me as I had been a redhead and have freckles etc. But I was starting to think it might be a bit young.

This Champagne Blonde is nice and dare I say it, perhaps a little more age appropriate, I am 65, but still looks blonde and I do have sort of a funky hair cut. Jaw level layers that are razor cut and I can flick or have smooth as he mood dictates.

glammanana Wed 17-Sep-14 10:14:55

I've been to our local college for a trim and blow dry and it was the best cut I have ever had,the student was supervised throughout the procedure and even though it certainly took longer than normal I was really pleased with the result,I must book another appointment as I am due a trim again soon,they charge £8.00 for wash cut and blow up to £25.00 for colour cut and blow dry,depending on what your need doing.

supermum48 Wed 17-Sep-14 10:05:18

I go to the local college to get my hair done by the hairdressing students. They are well supervised and it costs £17 for regrowth, cut and blow. Highlights are £1 per foil. A lot cheaper than normal salons . I am too young to go grey!!!

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 23:31:20

Thanks coolgran, I shall try that. I have been having to go darker and use one that is a bit dark for my skin, to make it cover the grey, particularly where I have a thick streak where I was once hit on the head. I also have to leave it on for a good hour to get it to take. It's a good job my hair is so tough.

Coolgran65 Tue 16-Sep-14 22:12:17

I use Nice n Easy hair colour.
Put it on, leave it 45 minutes, shampoo and dry hair as usual.
It costs £5 in Asda, gives several tones i.e. is not a solid colour block, my hairdresser says it is great.
I use Blonde Champagne and it is not a dark blonde.
It definitely covers the grey and I only colour it when the roots are obvious. The job's done for £5 about every 8 weeks.

BeeBee1950 Tue 16-Sep-14 20:18:18

My hair has been coloured for years and is now white below the auburn shade my hairdressers use. ( no 5 if that means anything?) I want to go lighter and gradually blonde as re growth is a problem with obvious roots. However, my hairdresser advises that dark blonde shade is necessary as blonde will bit cover grey. Is it true that blonde shades don't cover grey? Would live to hear others experience please.

Yofab Tue 16-Sep-14 19:37:49

Embrace your "silver" hair - and pay less at the hairdressers!!

middleagespread Tue 16-Sep-14 18:54:52

The first time I heard a young child ask their Mum , "is that my Nan?" I decided to give in and accept the inevitable. I ditched the colour and now enjoy my grey hair. No highlighting bills, no tut tutting as the roots show through. So enjoying the freedom. The only bit I miss is the juicier gossip I used to hear in the hairdressers - perfect titbits to be extracted and used in my next book.More money to spend on shoes too.

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 18:33:37

I don't intend to ever start that, I have only had streaks put in once and it was great, but I can't afford my shoe habit AND go to the hairdresser. I shall have to carry on experimenting with home kits and cutting my own hair. For as long as my arms will let me, it's hard work doing the layers.

baubles Tue 16-Sep-14 17:49:06

I've been colouring my hair for so long that I can't remember when I started. Before I had any grey I changed the colour just for fun.

Now I would dearly love to embrace the grey but have no idea how to go about it other than to chop it all off and let it grow again. I've no intention of ever having short hair again so that isn't an option.

Wish I knew the answer.

I do know it isn't important in the grand scheme of things but constant trips to the hairdresser are expensive and time consuming.

rosesarered Tue 16-Sep-14 17:30:35

In the end we all have to embrace the grey [or accept it anyway] but I am putting it off as long as possible as DH doesn't have grey hair yet.

nannabo Tue 16-Sep-14 13:35:22

I let my hair go grey about 2 years ago as I had enough of dyeing it every few weeks. I feel it is the best thing I have done for years. My hair has never look better and I save time and money not dyeing it smile I keep it short and have it cut every 6/8 weeks and I love it