Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cleansing, soap and water, nothing.

(48 Posts)
NanKate Sat 28-Feb-15 21:33:33

All my life I have gone through my nighttime routine of removing mascara etc. with eye makeup remover pads, then a good clean with a cleansing wipe, and then sometimes a liquid cleanser on a pad followed by a moisturiser and lip balm.

How do you prepare your face for bed ?

jeanie99 Thu 23-Nov-17 22:55:45

I rarely use makeup so no bedtime routine.
My most important routine at bedtime is Floss and brush teeth.
I don't mind wrinkles I don't want my teeth falling out.

Nelliemoser Tue 14-Nov-17 09:01:34

This is a two yr old thread.
Quick wash and some moisturiser on the dry skin . I rarely wear makeup.
I use Aqueous cream BP no fancy and expensive smelly creams. (I find Nivea too perfumed.)

I do wonder about wet wipes I think they contain a lot of unecessary chemicals and often alcohols which will dry out your skin.
Look up the ingredients. You would probably do better with a very mild soap and flannel.

J52 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:11:21

I use Nivea moisturising wipes to remove make up, then a quick splash with cold water, then Neals Yard Almond moisturiser. It has a lovely fragrance.

M0nica Tue 14-Nov-17 07:42:00

I cannot use soap on my face, it makes it dry, red and uncomfortable. Whether I have been wearing make-up or not I use cold cream to clean my face, wipe it with cleansing lotion and massage in some night cream.

I have to be very careful what I use on my skin as I have had adverse reactions to so many products.

Bellasnana Tue 14-Nov-17 07:16:28

I'm another in the Grannyactivist camp. I wish I'd taken better care of my skin. I'm very wrinkled but too late to worry about it now.

Willow500 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:46:14

I do use Liz Earle - didn't know about the Avon connection either but I like the feeling of cleansing it gives. I have to remove my mascara if nothing else otherwise my contact lenses suffer when I put them in the next day. I use a couple of drops of oil after cleansing and try to remember to put hand cream on. Always use lip balm then read for 5 mins once I've managed to get into the bed as my cat is usually laid in my place (on top of it) and we have to have a game of catch the mousie to get her to move grin

alliemoore87 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:49:49

I like to use a moisturizing cleanser that effectively cleans my face and removes all makeup, but doesn't strip off ALL my oils on my face. My face is super dry typically, so I like to avoid soap/water and use my Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser. It's a godsend honestly. Kinda feels like there's a residue on my face after but that's just the moisturizing aspect of the product. My skins SUPER sensitive so I have to be careful what I put on my face. I've come to really trust the ingredients in this one www.albolene.com/ingredients/

FlicketyB Mon 23-Mar-15 09:18:33

Wow, Lilygran, you have done well. My skin went horribly dry in my early 20s and began to re-act badly to many popular skin creams like Nivea.

Lilygran Sat 21-Mar-15 10:52:41

I would have gone with grannya grin until my skin suddenly went horribly dry in my late 60s. So now it's slap on E45 cream or lotion on the dry bits.

Ana Sat 21-Mar-15 10:39:24

They're not supposed to be good for your skin either as they have to be 'dragged' across the face. Cleansing milk/lotion and cotton wool is a gentler option.

rosequartz Sat 21-Mar-15 09:50:28

There was an article in the media the other day about all these wipes wrecking the planet (cleansing, baby, toilet, cleaning and floor wipes etc - clogging up the sewers, not rotting in landfill and appearing on our beaches).

I must confess that I have used them but I must stop now. I thought they were biodegradable but apparently not.

Ariadne Sat 21-Mar-15 08:55:07

I hardly ever use water on my face - just a few times a year when I need to exfoliate. Otherwise it's Olay Regenerist cleansing wipes, with their serum and night cream to follow. (But I have been given a jar of Neals Yard frankincense intense moisturiser, and it feels lovely, so I'll change to that for a while.)

My skin is very dry, and water on my face tightens it and makes it red.

Charleygirl Sat 21-Mar-15 08:46:11

Brush my teeth, have a shower, go to bed. If my hands look dry, apply hand cream, read for an hour or so, pampering my cat at the same time, switch off the light and fall asleep.

TwiceAsNice Fri 20-Mar-15 23:33:32

Simple face wipes and toner on cotton wool pad. Night time moisturiser from Aldi, cheap as chips and as good as any expensive brand. Clean teeth and into bed.

rosesarered Fri 20-Mar-15 22:21:35

Always use cleansing wipes of any make, followed by a toner on cotton wool pad, because the wipe alone contains oil which promotes spots.Then use electric toothbrush, followed by a dab of tea tree oil on any spots on face or neck.Never bother to brush hair, and don't use a night face cream either.

TriciaF Tue 03-Mar-15 09:35:36

When I was working I wore mascara, lipstick etc, and cleaned it off with those impregnated pads. Now I just splash over with water.
I used to like using a face pack occasionally, tea tree was my favourite (peel-off).
At night I use Nivea soft cream, rubbed in well.

Coolgran65 Mon 02-Mar-15 19:13:59

Baby wipe removes all makeup and put on whatever moisturizer is to hand. Brush teeth.....brush hair.

Lona Mon 02-Mar-15 19:09:52

Oh thanks Flickety, I've used Crowe's Cremine for years, then it got dearer, then it went to a tube and then I couldn't find it anywhere!
It's fantastic stuff, you'd never guess that I'm 104! grin

FlicketyB Mon 02-Mar-15 17:43:07

I have very dry sensitive skin and soap makes it extra dry and red.

Morning: wipe with wet flannel and then massage in as much moisteriser as my skin will take. Make-up is an optional extra
Evening: Remove make-up with cold cream. Wipe with toner, massage in night cream. If I am not wearing make-up I do not do stage 1 but I do the toner and night cream stages every night.

For over 40 years my cold cream brand as been Crowe's Cremine. I understand that it is widely used to remove stage make-up. I can no longer buy it in Boots or any other chemist but I can get it online. I use organic moisterisers and night creams because there is some ingredient common to most ordinary moisterisers that brings me out in a rash.

littleflo Mon 02-Mar-15 12:17:20

I use pampers baby wipes as I find soap and cleaners very drying. Then smother on Nivea.

Teetime Mon 02-Mar-15 09:51:03

Jo Malone has been taken over by Estee Lauder so I've gone off that too. I like the fact that JM and LE were niche artisan British products and now they are not.

rosequartz Sun 01-Mar-15 18:03:45

I have a bottle of cleanser with a cloth that came in a 'free' box of M&S toiletries which I haven't tried yet.

Eloethan Sun 01-Mar-15 16:40:21

Thanks for that info Teetime - I didn't know Liz Earle had been taken over by Avon.

I use Dove exfoliating soap, hot water and a flannel, followed by splashing face/neck with lots of cold water and then moisturiser - I've found Superdrug's own moisturisers to be reasonably priced and effective.

I use face/eye cleansing pads for sensitive skin - any brand - to remove mascara and eye make-up.

Teetime Sun 01-Mar-15 16:10:04

I used to use Liz Earle but when it was taken over by Avon I went off it. I use Boots Protect and Perfect cream cleanser which uses the same method of massage in and wipe off with muslin cloth dipped in hot water(I buy Liz Earle cloths as they are finer than the Boots one which feels like a Brillo). the Protect and perfect moisturiser - I would like t use Clarins but cant justify the price of their moisturiser £50+). I get lots of compliments about my clear skin. Its a little dry at this time of year so I will buy some face oil this week.

rosequartz Sun 01-Mar-15 15:38:00

Whatever I feel like.
Cleanse with cottonwool pads and Clarins makeup remover, or Boots cleanser.
Sometimes cleansing wipes.
Don't always moisturise after the above.
Sometimes soap and water (always followed by moisturiser).
Sometimes I have a bath at night, so face gets a steam clean as well!