Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Underwear - Sloggi maxi knickers

(32 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 03-May-15 04:58:48

Years ago I used to wear Sloggi pants.
More recently it's been M & S because they are available at the Outlet Store for around £1 on offer (from £4 or £5)
Sloggi can be pretty expensive.

I've noticed Sloggie now do a slightly 'hold you firmer' pant which reviews say is very comfortable.

Has anyone tried Sloggi recently and in particular the hold you in type.
www.amazon.co.uk/Sloggi-Control-Maxi-Womens-Briefs/dp/B0082PFJ4W/ref=sr_1_2?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1430625047&sr=1-2&keywords=sloggi

Ordinary type are 4 for £20 with free delivery
Hold you in are 2 for £20 with free delivery.

I reckon they won't hold in you in.. so much as.... just hold the wobble in place a little firmer and smoother.

I wondered would their sizing be on a par with M & S ?

Does anyone have any experience of these.

Tania2 Thu 23-Jul-15 13:26:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

dahlia Mon 18-May-15 20:27:58

I have a drawer of Sloggi's bought on line at a very special offer, all in black, cotton, so comfortable and hard-wearing. DH always appreciates an old pair of lacy knickers from M & S I wear when laundry is a bit behind - but he doesn't have to wear them, they itch! Dear friend tried one of those "magic" corsets out for dinner where she wanted to impress. Sadly, she had to nip to the ladies' before dessert to remove the offending item before she lost all ability to breathe! grin

rubylady Sun 10-May-15 00:36:42

absent You know what I mean, official people other than trying to impress a man. I gave that up years ago. grin

roben123 Fri 08-May-15 08:45:39

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

absent Wed 06-May-15 08:46:46

You still have a bank manager rubylady? shock

rubylady Wed 06-May-15 01:11:08

I have used Sloggies and still have a pair or two for days when I want to impress someone, bank manager etc. I also have a pull on bra and just roll the boobs up and tuck them in. grin

My ex used to have a sort of hot pants suit, short legs, short arms in black and he thought he was the bees knees in it but it still gives me a chortle when I think of him lounging on the bed provocatively in it! grin

Ana Tue 05-May-15 23:01:28

They do work if you've just got a bit of a flabby tum but aren't seriously overweight. I would wear a pair of the control-type Sloggis if I ever had to wear a dress, which will probably be never...grin

Nelliemoser Tue 05-May-15 22:43:10

It would be good if all the manufactures of these (magic underwear) products read this thread and realised that these much advertised products just do not really work.

As several people have said the "squashed stuff" has to go somewhere.

Katek Tue 05-May-15 22:29:13

Totally off topic, but I once had to peel my DH out of a wetsuit after a charity raft race when the entire crew got smashed. No easy task!

Anne58 Tue 05-May-15 20:06:07

Oh Ana shock I can now see how that post may have come across! blush

annodomini Tue 05-May-15 20:01:34

Instructions given after diagnosis of hiatus hernia were to avoid tight garments round the middle. No problem, I gave those up many years ago. 'control underwear' only controls what's under them. It's what's below and above that is uncontrollable except perhaps in a wetsuit. grin

Ana Tue 05-May-15 20:00:09

The mind boggles as to what sort of things you find in your knickers, phoenix! shock

Anne58 Tue 05-May-15 19:54:10

Oh dear, I feel forced to confess that many years ago, a friend and I decided that "Sloggi" sounded like something you might find in your knickers, rather than a brand blush

I truly can't see that word without thinking that thought!

loopylou Tue 05-May-15 19:34:04

I found that so-called 'control' knickers rolled down and felt like an abdominal tourniquet shock
I guess me and my avoirdupois (lovely word KateK!) are beyond being 'controlled' by extra strong elastic!

Katek Tue 05-May-15 19:20:35

Tesco do a pack of 2 microfibre seam free shorts for £5/6 which are soooo comfortable, comfiest knickers I've ever had. Now have drawerful in different colours! They do smooth the lumps out a little, but as for control wear....no way! Like LL says, they're fine for thin people to give a nice silhouette, but for those of us with surplus avoirdupois they're a medieval torture device!

GillT57 Tue 05-May-15 15:52:59

Control knickers as such are ghastly and as someone said, it all has to go somewhere. But that is the really strong, rubbery ones (ooh matron blush. The Sloggi ones are more like really well fitting knickers, just a little bit firmer at the front, all cotton so no horrid sweaty manmade fabrics.

loopylou Mon 04-May-15 07:23:37

In my experience so-called 'control ' knickers just squidge the blubber unwanted curves out the top or bottom and are horribly claustrophobic to wear.
I well remember being bodily strangled by a 'control slip' and having to stop in a lay-by on the way home to strip off blush

They're probably fine if you're slim too start with (in which case you won't need one!) but definitely not for me!

Minimiser bras are not much better, on me they make me look as if I'm wearing water wings hmm......

Coolgran65 Mon 04-May-15 01:17:27

rosesarered I think these control items don't push the curves to anywhere, it's more that all is held just a little firmer. Hysterectomy surgery of 30 years ago left a strange shape to the bottom of my tummy that I'm always aware of. They're not like the strong choking garments of old.

However.... I did try on a similar item today, oh dear.....couldn't be doing with that. Lightweight and comfortable was the description... I'll leave the spectacle to your imagination. Suffice to say I didn't buy it.

rosesarered Sun 03-May-15 23:45:55

Hmmm, must have a look at these Sloggi Maxis.I always think that these control things must push the unwanted curves somewhere else though, I mean, where does it go?I like a bit of lacy underwear, and can't stand the thought of being in the grip of a elastane Python all day.shock

harrigran Sun 03-May-15 23:40:16

I wear Sloggi maxis and did buy the hold you in ones but they were not so comfortable, they nipped round the leg holes.

GillT57 Sun 03-May-15 22:53:54

I never wear anything else! They are fantastically comfortable and don't leave a visible line under trousers. I buy white to wear either white bras and back for black (need to be matching in case I get knocked down and a taken to hospital).

Ana Sun 03-May-15 12:01:31

I've worn Sloggi Maxis for years, I love them and I don't find the seam at the back to be a problem. I can't remember the last time I bought a pack, they seem to last forever!

Wouldn't bother with the control version, though.

Coolgran65 Sun 03-May-15 11:53:59

I wouldn't even consider a pull on bra for my 36+++++++.
Bravissimo bra stores' fitting and design/engineering has put paid to any droop.

I have rarely worn support control knickers and have always thought Sloggi just a tad expensive but having come across these control ones and the good reviews, I'd thought of having a try for when I want to 'look the part' I.e. to try make a garment hang as well as possible.

Doesn't look like they're in much demand by us GNs which says it all. smile

Perhaps I spend too much time at the pc when unable to sleep in the wee small hours !!

Teetime Sun 03-May-15 10:28:03

Couldn't possible wear knickers that didn't match my bra and that were the same colour of whatever goes on top. MIL loves her Sloggis though as she doesn't like the impression of knickers to be seen through trousers- we buy them for her on-line.

Nelliemoser Sun 03-May-15 09:44:35

With bra's these day I think that to stop droop I need something engineered by Brunel. And I am not particularly big busted.