Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Granny panties

(66 Posts)
yogagran Fri 05-Jun-15 21:50:47

I was trying to find something witty to say but decided just to post this link instead:

www.rantchic.com/2015/05/29/move-over-thongs-granny-panties-have-a-made-a-much-appreciated-comeback/?utm_campaign=RantLifestyleFB&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

trisher Sat 11-Jul-15 18:42:21

We had 2 pairs of knickers at school as well, bottom ones white, top ones maroon. The maroon ones were made of thick cotton. It wasn't too bad in winter but in summer we used to "forget" them. Just occasionally we would have a uniform inspection and would be instructed to remember them the next day.

silverscarlett Sat 11-Jul-15 18:29:02

Petticoat magazine! Now there's a memory that dates us all. Every girl in my class read it, back in the late 60's. It was quite progressive for the time, and covered subjects we were all eager to learn more about, but would never quite admit to! How different things were back then.

newblooms Thu 02-Jul-15 05:55:13

An interesting and developing thread. Born in 1947 I have seen many fashion changes though the decades as have we all. My favorite decade and certainly the most feminine was the 1950's (say from 1953 to 1962). Then the mini-skirt robbed a great deal of our modesty and a lot of a females mystique. I have to admit though that I still find knickers of that era (1950's) among the most comfortable style to wear and I keep a few specials hidden away for amourous occasions.

Ana Sun 07-Jun-15 22:33:54

Oh, well that puts a different complexion on things! grin
(Although, if the dress was very slinky, wouldn't the top of the tights be visible?)

Deedaa Sun 07-Jun-15 21:15:24

Perhaps I should add that if I wasn't wearing knickers I was at least wearing tights.

janerowena Sun 07-Jun-15 15:19:28

Not always what you wanted to learn, either! grin

Ana Sun 07-Jun-15 15:07:41

Oh, yuk!! Well, you certainly do learn something new every day on Gransnet...grin

Ana Sun 07-Jun-15 15:05:57

Oh, I see what you mean about the Smeg brand although I don't know what it means - will google! Unless your message does indeed reveal all! shock

janerowena Sun 07-Jun-15 15:03:22

We are both just incredibly juvenile, Ana. grin The washing brand is Smeg, which has a really revolting meaning, sloggi just sounds as if it may be something similar! I shall send you a message which will reveal all.

Ana Sun 07-Jun-15 10:40:16

I still don't get it, nor about the brand of washing machines etc.confused I must be very slow...

janerowena Sun 07-Jun-15 10:34:08

phoenix I know what you mean! grin I remember hearing of the make about 3 years ago, and sniggering. It's not the most beautiful of words, is it. It's a bit like a certain brand of dishwashers and washing machines...

Soutra Sun 07-Jun-15 09:57:00

I loved it when helping DGS to dress himself and got his pants ready, he solemnly announced "Daddy says label goes at the back Granny".
Words of wisdom indeed smile

Soutra Sun 07-Jun-15 09:55:09

Just don't get your knickers in a twist!

Anne58 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:44:26

Mixed up threads, mixed up Phoenix. sad

Sorry all, as you were.

Anne58 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:40:05

Oh heck Ana , sorry, I even looked for the one, couldn't find it, perhaps a link, although no doubt it will come back at a random moment, by which time I may well have forgotten the question blush

Bugger, it took me 3 sodding attempts to even post that with the right spelling and sort of grammar things!

Ana Sat 06-Jun-15 23:25:12

You did say it on another thread, phoenix, but no one seemed to understand what you meant - I certainly didn't...confused

Anne58 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:20:46

Only me that thinks "Sloggi! sounds more something that you might find in your knickers, rather than actual make? blush

(Could have sworn that I posted that earlier, but apparently not. I plead the fifth, so there.)

janerowena Sat 06-Jun-15 23:16:54

I wear coloured cotton ones just like those in the photo, but mine have wide bands of lace that don't leave VPL.

If those are granny knickers, I have been wearing them all my life.

I don't find frilly nylon and net and satin things with bows sexy, just uncomfortable and in my experience, men have usually found me sexy no matter what my underwear has been like! I rather think that the sort of man who would want me to dress in sexy underwear (which rarely sounds comfortable as far as I have heard from friends) wouldn't be the kind I found sexy anyway. Why do women feel they need it? Pretty yes, I can understand that. But how many women force their OHs to wear thongs rather than boxers?

Ana Sat 06-Jun-15 22:15:19

Deeda, that wasn't really a very tactful request, was it? confused

I have never gone knickerless in my life although prudish I am certainly not. The things I got up to in my youth...wink

Treebee Sat 06-Jun-15 22:07:22

Like Lona I've discovered M&Ss high leg pants with lacy derrières which are comfy, pretty and in a range of colours. The one thing that Marks still gets right, along with their prawn sandwiches!

Deedaa Sat 06-Jun-15 21:30:37

My mother in law always talked about her panties. The word did not describe the vast white creations that she wore. When I had to do her shopping I went into Marks and asked if they had any Old Lady's Knickers. The assistant looked very offended and said "Do you mean like mine?" (Yes I did actually)

Mine are lacy and match my bras. No one sees them, but I like them! I wish girls who wear thongs would realise that unless you are a size 8 or smaller a thong will just outline your buttocks and make them look vast! I heard a teenager explaining that she had to wear one under very sheer clothes because anything else would show through. I started to wonder what I used to wear under some of my flimsier garments in pre thong days and then remembered that I just took my knickers off grin

Charleygirl Sat 06-Jun-15 18:49:37

I also wore knicker liners at school and the outer pair like Galen's were grey. Our uniform was a dusky blue colour.

Sainsburys sell cheap but comfortable knickers which I bought recently. At the time I did not like M&S colours and I definitely do not like white knickers.

I only knew one grandmother and she also wore the voluminous pink knickers. My mother wore pretty lacy ones. I must have 50 pairs +.

loopylou Sat 06-Jun-15 16:03:41

That's how I read it too! shock
A trifle chilly I'd have thought.......

Soutra Sat 06-Jun-15 15:51:44

That was how I read it too!! Puts St. Trinian's in the shade! shockblush

Galen Sat 06-Jun-15 15:45:06

Do you mean you went knicker less?shock