Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Rose hip Oil

(27 Posts)
Marian1412 Sat 11-Jul-15 13:24:51

I've been reading about how good Rosehip Oil is for the complexion.
Has anyone tried it?

Tegan Wed 05-Aug-15 13:15:55

It's @ 58 on the list of substances that people can be allergic to so it isn't just the tooth problems caused by syryp that has stopped it being taken internally.

Falconbird Wed 05-Aug-15 07:55:45

I was given Rosehip syrup from the clinic back in the 1940s. I couldn't digest the clinic orange juice or the Cod Liver Oil so they gave me Halibut Oil.

I haven't changed and get indigestion from orange juice so I searched in vain for Rosehip syrup but couldn't find it anywhere.

Anya Wed 05-Aug-15 07:45:11

Tegan grin

Marmight Wed 05-Aug-15 07:37:12

Tegan I don't think you would see much improvement after just 2 days! Give it a week or 3 grin

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Aug-15 23:01:46

I always steer well clear of those magnifying mirrors, Tegan! shock

Tegan Tue 04-Aug-15 21:16:56

Bought some on Sunday. Not sure if I look any better as can't see very clearly unless I wear glasses and look into a magnifying mirror and that's far too scary to do shock these days...

Marelli Tue 04-Aug-15 20:49:20

I bought some Trilogy from Holland and Barratt. It seemed to doing ok, until the other day when my skin went back to it's old normal dry-as-a-crisp state. Like constance, I'm not sure whether it's best to moisturise normally before putting it on. confused

annsixty Tue 04-Aug-15 18:16:08

We got 3d a lb. big money then.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Aug-15 18:01:11

Yes, ours was for the syrup too, Gagagran. If only I'd known about the benefits to my skin, I'd have kept them for my own facials!

Gagagran Tue 04-Aug-15 14:11:55

Our primary school collected rosehips too Maggiemaybe but that was in the late 1940s and were paid 1d (an old penny) for a jam jar full. I think they went to make the rosehip syrup handed out at the baby clinics.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Aug-15 13:56:03

We collected rosehips as children in the early 1960's, anno, and I remember queuing with my friends at our little country primary to have our bags weighed and to be given our earnings, which I doubt amounted to much! It all seems a bit Dickensian somehow. Local farmers also paid primary school children for potato picking, which was back-breaking work. I only lasted one day. grin

constance Tue 04-Aug-15 13:38:29

After reading this thread I went and bought the biggest size of organic rose hip oil they had in local "health" shop and am slathering on face and other parts of my anatomy - mostly to see what effect it has on those wrinkly age molespots.

Are you meant to put on instead of moisturiser or underneath moisturiser?

Marmight Wed 22-Jul-15 22:47:19

OIL - see thread heading [duh]

mooniva Wed 22-Jul-15 16:08:38

are we on about Rosehip syrup or Rose oil ? very different things

Marian1412 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:49:23

Wow Marmight I'm definitely going to try Trilogy
Thank you

Marmight Wed 22-Jul-15 10:52:57

I have been using Trilogy rose hip oil for some months now. I did mention it on another fairly recent thread. I bought it in Australia but it is available here - in Boots and on line. It is amazing stuff and my face (it's condition!) is much improved so much so that friends have remarked on it. grin

annodomini Tue 21-Jul-15 19:44:34

Rose hip oil wouldn't be scented because the hips appear after the flowers have faded and the scent has gone. Rose oil is another matter.

Marian1412 Tue 21-Jul-15 19:18:41

Thank you.
I will research the organic oil. Interesting to learn that Bulgaria is a major producer

petra Tue 21-Jul-15 15:55:22

annodomini. Vitamin c is good for cell renewal.

If you hear of anyone going to Bulgaria on holiday, ask them to get you Rose oil there. A fraction of the price it is here. They are the biggest producer of Rose oil in the world.

Teetime Tue 21-Jul-15 14:49:22

I have just bought some Organic Rose Otto skin lotion from Holland and Barrett and it seems to be suiting my eczema a treat.

Greyduster Tue 21-Jul-15 14:05:07

I was given it regularly as a child because of the high vitamin C content; especially in the winter when there wasn't a lot of fruit about. I also gave it to my children ('cos my mum gave it to me!) but it's a no-no now for babies and children... very bad for teeth apparently, along with Ribena. I've heard it is good for arthritis, but I've never heard of it being good for complexion. Being full of vitamin C, I suppose it would be, but do you drink it or apply it?

annodomini Tue 21-Jul-15 13:07:54

Isn't it rich in Vitamin C? I don't know what difference that would make to the complexion. I heard that Rosehip capsules were good for arthritis and bought some, but was taking so many other things that I decided to hold off for a while. During WW II children went out into the country in autumn and collected rosehips for the syrup we took along with the orange juice and the cod liver oil.

loopylou Tue 21-Jul-15 12:11:15

Apparently it's meant to be very effective but you need to make sure it's genuine rose oil.....which is very expensive. The cheaper makes are a base oil with added perfume so beware. It's probably worth looking up reviews before purchasing.

Marian1412 Tue 21-Jul-15 11:59:02

I've been away so haven't been online.
I was thinking of using as a facial oil
I remember the cod liver oil too. Ugh!
No recollection of Rosehip or malt though.

Tegan Sat 11-Jul-15 13:57:28

To drink or slap on? My mum used to gie me rosehip syrup if I remember right [along with cod liver oil and malt].