Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What perfume do you wear?

(255 Posts)
Ticktac Sat 06-Feb-16 17:16:40

I usually wear Knowing by Estée Lauder which I love. I'd like to find another perfume, have been out today, but have come back empty handed as in the end they all smelt similar.
What is your favourite? I'm looking for something not sweet or flowery.

1974cookie Tue 26-Apr-16 17:31:37

One thing that I have discovered about perfume is that what used to suit me when I was younger, do not work for me now ie: Opium by Yves saint Laurent.
My current favourites are:
Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, and Chance.
Bottega Veneta essence aromatique.
Thierry Mugler Alien Eau Extraordinaire.
One of my all time favourites though was a fragrance by Lulu.
( Yes, the singer.)
It was called Time and it really was gorgeous.
It was one of those fragrances that made people stop and ask you what it was.
It was one that you had to buy online, but sadly disappeared a couple of years ago.
I wish that it would come back into production. sad

Elrel Mon 25-Apr-16 21:10:04

I like Jo Malone fragrances, also the Jo Loves range which she now produces after selling the original Jo Malone business. At present I have a lovely fresh rose and lemon.
At Christmas I got a Penhaligon taster set for DHS's girlfriend, they gave me some samples and I liked them too especially Empressa and one whose name I've forgotten, began with V.
Loved Chanel 19 which a boyfriend gave to me in my teens and also Miss Dior which reminds me of a different man and my relief at getting free of him! Very evocative, perfumes!

Shelagh6 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:06:38

"First" by Van Clef and Arpels - the best but so expensive!

livelygran1 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:20:51

My favourite is Very Irresistible by Givenchy. Everyone comments on it and says it smells lovely.

Nansypansy Sun 20-Mar-16 07:52:20

There was a programme on telly recently suggesting a Zara perfume at £7.99 was every bit as good as expensive ones - so I made of point of visiting Zara in Exeter - tried on lots of them, but they all got muddled so I don't know exactly which one they were talking about!!!

susanbuckham42 Thu 10-Mar-16 17:44:02

My favourite is Issey Miyake or possibly Aqua di Gio by Giorgio Armani. Both very fresh and summery scents. I do hope my spelling is up to scratch!!

Nansypansy Tue 08-Mar-16 06:18:59

I'm usually a bit of a cheapskate but ...... I only seem to like expensive perfumes. My all time favourite is Private Collection by Estée Lauder.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Mar-16 18:45:57

Diamondlil - I also love Kenzo's 'Jungle' (the elephant version) but also Escentric's 'Molecules 01'

I have discovered that my body oils post menopause are very different to before - so the fragrances I loved don't all love me now. I've said goodbye to quite a few, but do enjoy discovering new ones. Some Jo Malone are nice, some Creed, and recently I found one called 'Nuit de Cellophane' by Serge Lutens. That one will go on my birthday treats list. Strange in the bottle but great on my skin!

michellehargreaves Fri 26-Feb-16 11:57:02

Last post by me: the genius computer changed " Guerlain" into "Germain "! Don't you just hate it when that happens?

michellehargreaves Fri 26-Feb-16 11:54:25

Anything by Patou and Mitsouko by Germain. Like many others here, i prefer the older French perfumes, modern scents seem overly sweet and sickly to me - no subtlety! And someone said that they thought Poison was aptly named, my friends and I call it Poisson,

annodomini Fri 26-Feb-16 10:30:18

For years my favourite has been Samsara by Guerlain, discovered by chance when my aunt and uncle gave me a gift box of that fragrance. This week JL had scents on offer so I have 'invested'. Je Reviens has also been a favourite, along with Blue Grass and Eau Dynamisante. The now defunct Culpepers shops used to sell a lovely Stephanotis cologne which was much admired when I wore it. I was very upset when the company closed down.

marpau Fri 26-Feb-16 09:39:26

Envy me by Gucci is my favourite gets lots of compliments but I wear it purely for me

annsixty Wed 24-Feb-16 19:07:48

Also a favourite of mine granjan along with Estée Lauder Azuree.

granjan15 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:44:32

Clinique Aromatics Elixir.

lizzypopbottle Wed 24-Feb-16 18:17:30

Tresor by L'Ancome. I've written this before quite recently. If it was this same thread, sorry for duplicating smile I was reading a magazine in the hairdressers and there was an article about which perfumes men liked on women. They said Tresor made them want to hug the woman wearing it so I ran out with wet hair to get it (actually, that's a fib) and over the years I've had no spontaneous hugs (sadly) but several men have asked for the name so they can get it for their wife!

wot Wed 24-Feb-16 17:24:39

Does anyone remember "=Blase" by max factor?

Greymary Wed 24-Feb-16 17:12:26

I hope it is alright to mention this site (is this advertising??). I got this a few years ago from Martins Money Tips weekly newsletter.
Google perfume-parlour.co.uk, they list and sell scents similar to famous names.
I have bought some, they are oil based in little roll ons, and one can find a scent with very similar base notes to one's favourites at such a saving.
I have used them with no problems.
Just a suggestion smile

maturefloosy Wed 24-Feb-16 16:42:54

Chanel Allure - - used it for years and now ration it to going out. I lurrve wearing perfume but cannot afford to buy as often.

Have loved this thread and all the memories of perfumes gone by - Ma Griffe especially - my brother in law bought me a bottle in hospital after giving birth to my son - 44 years ago!!

tanith Wed 24-Feb-16 15:52:37

I love flower too, and also Shalimar by Guerlain..

AudreyL Wed 24-Feb-16 15:49:54

Flower by Kenzo

crafter72 Wed 24-Feb-16 15:30:02

New member here! My current daytime favourite is Pour Femme by Lacoste, but my old faithful is Chanel's Coco.

Neversaydie Sat 20-Feb-16 09:19:44

Yes Charlie was my University perfume....69-72!

lynnie1 Fri 19-Feb-16 20:27:50

Ana, I think Charlie was a given for anyone of a certain age ;)

annsixty Fri 19-Feb-16 18:35:54

Greyduster H used to like Paco Rabanne back in the day and when I saw Lady Million I couldn't wait to try it, what a mistake ,it was awful. After one wearing I gave it away and don't know if the recipient liked it as I forgot to ask and she never said. ? I think that probably says it all.

Ana Fri 19-Feb-16 18:30:53

Ooh, yes, I remember Aqua Manda, t was really quite strong, and certainly an acquired taste! I used Charlie for a few years in the 70s too.

I don't really bother with perfume these days, although I quite like Daisy by Marc Jacobs. I've flirted with several more expensive ones over the years but wasn't impressed. Stuck with Anais Anais while I was still working.