Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Thinning hair - am I going to go bald?

(72 Posts)
granoffour Wed 28-Sep-16 11:55:48

And do I have to set aside a huge portion of my pension for hats?

I happened to spy my head from the back yesterday. There is definitely a bald patch emerging at my crown. What to do?? Any advice gratefully received.

Or jaunty hats...

J52 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:53:19

Niobe I came to the same conclusion earlier this year. I usually had a light overall dye on my hair. It started thinning so I decided to stop having it dyed.To my delight my real colour was a silver grey. I now spend the dyeing money on a good cut and have a gloss applied.

I too am taking cod liver oil and biotin capsules. All this has definitely made a difference.

Niobe Mon 28-Nov-16 20:36:00

I had thinning hair and weak nails too. I ditched the hair dye 2 years ago and my hair is definitely thicker now. I would never go back to the hair dye as I would rather have thick grey hair than thinning , dyed, dark hair but each to his or her own.
Dark har dye does not make you look younger, it makes you look like someone who dyes their hair. No one is ever fooled.
I do take Holland and Barrats 'Hair,Skin and Nails ' supplements as well and my nails are much stronger now.

Candlefran Thu 17-Nov-16 10:08:41

Seizetheafternoon - best name on Gransnet - ever! I love it. (sorry to go off topic)

GlammakAz59 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:45:44

Hello everyone. I've just been diagnosed with scarring alopecia my hair has been going around my hair line for a few years. I've gone through a lot of stress since my divorce 6 years ago. Also had thinned at front on top, I've tried regain not noticed much difference it seemed to thin more when I first started using it. The hospital have given me a steroid lotion to try, if that doesn't help I can try low dose antibiotic for a few months. I have other health problems it's a worry. My eyebrows leg and arm hair also don't grow in going to have my eyebrows tattooed. It effects my confidence.

City84 Wed 19-Oct-16 09:20:16

Hi, Sparklefizz, where did you buy the powdered collagen from? I have tried vitamins, etc, but my hair is still thinning at the crown.

Christinefrance Tue 18-Oct-16 17:41:30

And why is it as the hair on my head decreases my facial hair increases ? Is that the law ?

topazann Tue 18-Oct-16 16:07:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gettingonabit Sat 15-Oct-16 15:15:17

I've got a small head and long hair doesn't suit me. I've been quite tempted by short choppy wig; which is the more lightweight, real hair or fake?

Falconbird Sat 15-Oct-16 12:03:51

I'm up for a wig discussion. Back in the late 60s I had lovely hair but I did wear a wig sometimes (not sure why now.)

My hair is thinning on the back mostly at the top (just like my dear old mum) and I've been thinking of buying a blondie grey wig which is my hair colour now.

In retrospect I wish I'd bought one for my son's wedding. My hair looked OK but maybe I would have looked better with a natural looking wig.

gettingonabit Sat 15-Oct-16 09:37:39

My partner (male) uses Mane for his bald patch the state of the bathroom is testament to this and also Viviscal/Regaine/Nourkirin. I'm not sure if the hair has grown back, but it's vastly improved.

Personally, I quite like a baldy man...wink.

Not a joke, really. I've never had much in the way of hair, and I'm dreading losing the bit I have. sad.

I'd love a wig discussion if anyone's up for it?

Seizetheafternoon Thu 06-Oct-16 10:45:14

My GP referred me to a dermatologist about mine. She did bloods and said that ferratin levels need to be over 70 for hair growth and health and preferably as near to 100 as possible. Mine was 35 which was normal in terms of not being anaemic but she said it needed to be at least double that. She put me on ferrous fumerate tabs 125mg x2 along with high dose Vit D tablets (that was very low as are a lot of people's in the UK due to limited sun exposure). It took around a year but now when I look at the top of my head in the mirror i can't see through to the scalp. Hair is still very fine and thin but then it always has been. Definitely recommend getting a blood test and asking what the ferritin level is. And thyroid too because that's well known for causing hair thinning as PPs have said.

I've tried Toppix, Nanogen, dry shampoo and the best I've found is Mane spray. It does tend to leave a coloured film in the bathroom and mark your pillowcase but it washes off. But out of everything listed, it gave the most convincing coverage and didn't look like I'd dunked my head in shoe polish.

Rosieroe Mon 03-Oct-16 15:13:23

Re. Nanogen hair fibres. Jury is still out. I tried it on Saturday and was a bit timid with the application. I was initially quite impressed as my scalp didn't seem as visible when I stood under the light in the bathroom, however later in the day I thought the fibres seemed to be forming into little clumps which looked strange. That may have been something to do with my using normal hairspray rather than the recommended own brand spray.

farmgran Sat 01-Oct-16 01:49:50

An underactive Thyroid can cause hair loss. I went to doctor as I was terribly tired and had put on weight something shocking and it turned out my Thyroid was functioning very poorly so I'm now on tablets. I have regained my get up and go (or what passes for it) and the weight is falling off. My hair isn't falling out at quite the same rate either!

Rosieroe Fri 30-Sep-16 13:29:23

Look what came in today's post. I'd only requested it yesterday. I think I'll wait and try it tomorrow and let you know what I think.

Rosieroe Fri 30-Sep-16 11:28:03

Louieandlottienana. It is an incredibly fortunate person who lives to be a gran without experiencing what you are going through, either personally or with loved family and friends. My DH has recently undergone a six week course of chemo and radiotherapy. I can understand how concerns of thinning hair not related to diagnosed illness could be seen as vanity in the light of more serious matters. I personally would prefer as my mantra 'make the most of what you have'.

Perhaps concentrating on an attempt to improve one facet of our lives takes the focus away for just a moment from things that are totally out of our control.

DH and I are also hoping to live life to the full and send love your way. ? ❤️

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 09:21:08

Louieandlottienana flowers You're right, of course.

Louieandlottienana Fri 30-Sep-16 08:31:17

Not to put to fine a point on it but my hair fell out with chemotherapy treatment for cancer and I had to wear a wig although many of the women I met chose to stay bald. I still have very thin hair and still have cancer so I would like to say be happy with what you have. I am living my life to the full.

Disgruntled Fri 30-Sep-16 06:14:17

Indian head massage is suppose to promote hair growth - you could always give yourself a head massage every morning. flowers

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Sep-16 22:39:43

Veragrace71, the coloured Batiste has much the same effect for a fraction of the price, if it suits you. I've had to change my hair colour because they've discontinued the auburn one sad

gulligranny Thu 29-Sep-16 22:17:42

MinniesMum - yes thanks, I'm on regular blood checks, in fact one is due within the next month so hopefully my dosage will be increased and my hair might thicken up.

Veragrace71 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:17:10

I use Viviscal powder. It's like magic. Sprinkle it on and your scalp disappears. Comes in several colours.

MinniesMum Thu 29-Sep-16 18:55:41

gulligranny

I do hope you are having annual blood checks for your thyroid levels. They may need to up your dose! It was the last thing on my mind when my eyebrows starting disappearing about 6 years ago. I got sick of pencilling them back in again and went to the doctor. Immediate blood test, thyroxine shortly afterwards followed by a full set of eyebrows about 6 weeks later!

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Sep-16 18:21:29

Ah, this must be it. Just look at the hair on the women advertising it! They should have some of us GNers on there!

www.loreal-paris.co.uk/trends-and-tutorials/tips/hair-care-tips/find-your-fibrology

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Sep-16 18:20:29

What's this, what's this? Elseve Air? I do like the Fibrology, is this something new?

Craftycat Thu 29-Sep-16 18:16:34

Get to GP pronto! A friend of mine had this problem- it was falling out in clumps in the end. GP gave her something & it all grew back. I think it was thyroid if I remember rightly.