Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eek!! I bought some leggings!

(212 Posts)
kittylester Wed 01-Oct-14 09:50:49

I'm a size 20/22 and 5'5" tall and, with a mid thigh top, I don't look like humpty dumpty! I may even go out in them!grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 09:55:04

That's a good idea actually. You can get such pretty "dresses" that really need leggings to wear with them. With me, it would be what footwear to wear with them. I have to have comfortable flats. Once you start to go fashionable, do you have to go the whole hog? confused

hildajenniJ Wed 01-Oct-14 09:55:54

My word kitty you are brave. I'm 5'3 and a bit tall and weigh 10 stones. average size 14 and I wouldn't dare buy leggings. I do need a whole new winter wardrobe though, and have no idea where to start. I am not your typical woman and I loathe shopping.

Pittcity Wed 01-Oct-14 10:10:03

Leggings are good with flat pumps, sandals, ankle boots or knee length boots - they are just tights with no feet! Only good with dresses or very long tops leave the bottom baring to the young. I love my thermal fleece ones when it is really cold!!

Grannyknot Wed 01-Oct-14 10:17:54

hilda I'm much the same size and shape as you and I live in my leggings with long tunic tops, sometimes worn with flats, sometimes with boots (ankle and ones that come up the calf). I feel and I know I look great in them. I've got leggings in every colour - corded wine coloured ones (bought last year after a suggestion on here from M&S); grey; several black ones including black velvet ones.

(Hehe I read your post first time round as "I'm 5'3", and a bit tall, ..." and I was thinking "No, you're not". Then I realised it's "5'3" and-a-bit ..." smile

tanith Wed 01-Oct-14 10:19:59

I have cut off leggings on today with a thigh length shirt sometimes with a long top/dress and in the Winter a long sweater/dress also means no faffing about trying to tuck trousers into my boots just bung on a pair of socks and pull the boots on.. easy peasy. Today I just wear them with flipflops or my walking sandals if I go out for a walk.
I am a size 14/16 and both my daughters assure me I look fine as long as whatever is on the top comes down below hips. Be brave ladies. I don't do tights ever!! and leggings are just tights without feet much easier to put on too..

kittylester Wed 01-Oct-14 10:21:45

I cant wear ballet flats with them as I have the most appalling blue right foot so I suspect they will only see the light of day with the brown ankle boots I bought yesterday!

alternativegran Wed 01-Oct-14 10:27:25

I tried to find an ordinary pair of jeans in Marks and Spencer, unsuccessful I ended up with jeggings, probably shouldn't be wearing them at my age but at least they are comfortable.

alternativegran Wed 01-Oct-14 10:33:55

I am a little confused, if leggings are tights with no feet does that mean bare feet in shoes in the winter?

TerriBull Wed 01-Oct-14 10:38:33

Leggings are great, how did we ever live without them? One very important thing to bear in mind, keep your rear well covered, yes that applies to you as well Kim Kardashian, bum implants are not a wonderful addition. In my opinion anyway. Apologies for a reference to popular culture on GN, we are serious people, not flippant!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 10:44:44

alternativegran, you would wear ankle socks, same as you do with trousers. I think!

tanith Wed 01-Oct-14 10:48:19

I think most people wear them with boots in Winter but ankle socks would be ok too but I always feel a bit like Max Wall if I wear shoes with leggings lol..grin so its sandals or boots for me.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Oct-14 11:09:47

Consensus (after much debate on this) at GNHQ - leggings are great if you wear them as tights-without-feet. Leggings worn as trousers (ie with tops that sit above the hips) are a no-no #understatement

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Oct-14 11:14:42

We quite like an M&S jegging though we must confess. Gigi and I have taken to wearing them as our GNHQ uniform.

gillybob Wed 01-Oct-14 11:15:54

Whatever you do Kittylester, don't tell Absent !

Glassortwo and I once went for a lovely meal with her and the subject of clothes and leggings came up. Absent said something on the lines of "leggings are awful and should only be worn by small children" at which point we just looked at each other blush.

I love jeggings alternativegran they are a very comfortable in-between.

Soutra Wed 01-Oct-14 11:24:34

kitty I have met you and no way did I think you were a size 20!!
However....... it is all coming out now, first the leggings, then the brown ankle boots, come on, own up, what else did you buy?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 11:25:11

Right! I'm off to m and s to buy a pair. Weather is supposed to go downhill later in the week.

They will look ok with my bright red FitFlops laceups I bought on eBay, won't they? smile

etheltbags1 Wed 01-Oct-14 11:25:20

Ive worn leggings since they were invented, I was at one point 16 stone and always wore them with a long top. Im much slimmer now but still like them I only have one dress and would never wear tights so its leggings all the time. In winter, working out of doors I wear leggings under a pair of loose fitting trousers.

You used to be able to buy footless tights, made of something like 30 denier, just like leggings but much thinner and I like those with a dress but I cant get them nowadays.

I detest tights and just wear them if I have to look more formal in a skirt and wear 60 denier plus.
I use old leggings for bed in winter under a t shirt style nightie. You will never get me out of my leggings, Asda 2 pair for £10.00 or £6.00 each.

GillT57 Wed 01-Oct-14 11:38:03

Hmm maybe should get some......I am on the chunky side, size 18 ish but quite tall, so perhaps the layered look with boots and long tunic top. I do need a change of style.

Mamie Wed 01-Oct-14 11:51:47

I wear leggings and tunics as my winter uniform. No socks and flatties if warm enough or ankle boots if necessary. I like M and S jeggings and also Sainsbury's leggings and treggings. Lidl have started selling leggings too and the quality is good.

GillT57 Wed 01-Oct-14 12:20:03

If only I could get into a changing room under cover of darkness and try on a few outfits.....

jamsidedown Wed 01-Oct-14 12:30:33

I wear straight cut jeans from Fat Face, the goldilocks jeans, not too clingy, not too wide, just right. What's not to like? Don't know if I could be bothered with leggings/jeggings and length of top worries so still not convinced enough to buy some. smile

inishowen Wed 01-Oct-14 12:35:41

I bought my first leggings this summer. I have good legs, but a fat tummy. I found they looked good worn with a long tunic from M&S. I'm looking forward to wearing them in winter with long sweaters.

rubysong Wed 01-Oct-14 12:44:39

Leggings and a tunic are just so so comfortable. I have a lightweight tunic (£4.99 charity shop) which I wore yesterday and DH and two lots of friends commented favourably on it. I think it made me look a bit slimmer as it has a v neck and three quarter sleeves. I have a more woolly tunic (£1 charity shop) which I will wear with leggings when it gets a bit colder.

kittylester Wed 01-Oct-14 12:47:20

soutra - I think I love you!! Thank you! flowers

I also bought a lovely white cotton blouse which was from the 'Denim edit' confused and a long grey top. I only went in for red onions! blush