Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Buying jeans.....

(43 Posts)
loopylou Thu 19-Mar-15 18:23:29

It seems that the best way to ensure jeans/jeggings fit is to buy a size smaller, because denim 'relaxes'.
Is this really so, or do you end up unable to sit down, breathe or even move?
I'm fed up with jeans stretching when I'm not shrinking!
Any advice?

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 18:32:55

No it doesn't 'relax' Loopy it's me getting thinner wink

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 18:33:52

That's why my jeans are relaxed getting angrier.

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 18:36:08

Baggier!

B****y Kindle Fire...the GS has commandeered the iPad

tanith Thu 19-Mar-15 18:38:26

I buy Sainsbury Jeggings they don't 'bag'.

loopylou Thu 19-Mar-15 18:50:02

grin Anya.......I did wonder!
Thanks tanith I'll take a look. My problem is I have a waist but my jeans (M&S) are not shaped so although they fitted when I bought them, I can now take them off without undoing them hmm
I'd take them back if I could find the b.....y receipt!

rosequartz Thu 19-Mar-15 19:22:00

I have two new pairs in the wardrobe that must be very stressed because they refuse to relax grin

tiggypiro Thu 19-Mar-15 21:38:13

I'm fed up with clothes in general shrinking. It would be great to get some of them passed my knees and all I did was to hang them in the wardrobe. Very ungrateful of them - maybe I should just leave everything in a heap on the floor.

janerowena Thu 19-Mar-15 21:53:30

I do have one pair of jeans that I really like, when I put them on after they have been washed they look really nice. By the end of the day I can pull them down without unbuttoning them and I can hold them way out at the front of the waist.

Phase Eight I am naming and shaming.

Mishap Thu 19-Mar-15 22:08:35

I live in jeans - they are maternity jeans as I cannot bear anything tight round my middle. I have several pairs. I go in for floppy jumpers and tunics on top. I am not overweight at all, but just hate that horrible feeling of a band round my middle.

Leticia Thu 19-Mar-15 22:32:08

I find that per una ones are the only ones that fit me.

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 22:52:43

Me too Lettica.

(I also?)

Coolgran65 Fri 20-Mar-15 00:23:46

M & S Per Una Roma Fit sit on the waist.... for comfort.

They also do Lana cut.... for Apple shapes. These in particular I can take on and off without undoing fastening.

I love jeans but they have to be comfortable.

absent Fri 20-Mar-15 05:01:41

Most jeans these days seem to incorporate a small percentage of elastane or some other stretchy fabric, rather than being pure denim. I bought a heap of jeans from Next a couple of years ago and they still fit as well as they did when I first tried them on.

Leticia Fri 20-Mar-15 07:00:33

It is interesting that I am not the only one to find that Per Una fit -and it is the Roma ones. I have given up even trying anything else because I live in my jeans and they have to be comfortable and look good.

baubles Fri 20-Mar-15 07:51:44

I'm also a fan of Next jeans. They do high waisted ones which are extremely comfortable.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a pair of flares, and rocking the 70s look but I suspect I may just look a little sad grin.

loopylou Fri 20-Mar-15 08:01:38

Go for it baubles!
DD keeps reminding me when I dither that I won't be any younger tomorrow hmm

baubles Fri 20-Mar-15 08:06:12

Haha, I do possess wedge heeled sandals and vaguely gypsyish tops.

These days though if I were to paint a flower on my face it would look a tad withered. smile

Lona Fri 20-Mar-15 08:15:54

I used to wear those M&S jeans but now I have M & Co boot cuts and they are great! Unfortunately our shop has just closed down, but I managed to buy a couple of pairs at half price.
Sainsburys jeans are ok too.

Teetime Fri 20-Mar-15 09:31:13

My best experience of buying jeans has been at GAP - the assistant took endless trouble to get me properly fitted - the only thing is they are quite long and I had to take them up but wonderful quality. £50 I know but all my golf lady friends where the £1120 NJYD's and I'm not doing that - they don't look any different to M & S to me and at least the Gap ones have really good quality dark blue denim.

Teetime Fri 20-Mar-15 09:32:41

£120!!! not £1120 although I wouldn't put that past some of them.grin

KatyK Fri 20-Mar-15 09:43:16

I buy Levis. They do different waist shapes, slight curve, demi curve etc which at first I thought was a load of rubbish but the staff in the shops are very helpful and mine really fit well. The last pair cost about £70 and are still going strong about 8 years later.

janerowena Fri 20-Mar-15 11:32:48

I have some roma cut M&S that are a very thick cotton and I love them, they fit me perfectly. The denim ones however, don't. Which is rather odd.

My very favourites are BHS, the second favourite are Next. The far-too-stretchy Phase Eight ones that cost twice as much have been relegated to the gardening clothes box.

rosesarered Fri 20-Mar-15 22:14:51

Absent is correct, it's the fault of denim jeans all now having a percentage of elastane in them, so that they start out fitting properly and over time get too big. I don't buy them nowadays for this reason.M&S are the worst offenders.

janerowena Sun 22-Mar-15 10:48:34

Yes, I think so too. The ones with 2% are ok, but 5% is too much.