Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Neck cream

(19 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 26-Apr-15 22:09:31

Suddenly noticed my neck going much more sagging and wrinkly. As we can't wear polo neck tops all summer, what to you use to help your neck look a bit better? Nothing wildly expensive please! Just something that does what it is supposed to do, and that really works! Thanks.

janerowena Sun 26-Apr-15 22:36:40

Olive oil, down on to my chest as well and my forearms. As soon as I have washed, it goes on. If any is left by the time I get dressed, I wipe it off. It gives a nice sheen that I just don't have after a couple of days if I am in too much of a hurry.

janeainsworth Mon 27-Apr-15 01:48:12

Yes olive oil is good.
I use an olive oil cleanser from DHC for face & neck, then use my normal moisturiser from Boots on top, but DHC also make olive oil moisturisers too.
I read recently that you should massage upwards from shoulder to chin to firm things up, but whether this advice is evidence-based I wouldn't like to say wink

soontobe Mon 27-Apr-15 06:51:43

As an aside, my mother uses olive oil to rub on any aches and pains.

Parcs Mon 27-Apr-15 07:12:32

Cold water and dry neck with hard towel to help firm skin. Soft towels when drying face and neck do not help. It has worked for me and is absolutely free.

Parcs Mon 27-Apr-15 07:14:51

I do also use L'Oreal firming face cream which does work well it costs around £6 is worth the money in my opinion

Marmight Mon 27-Apr-15 08:07:21

Rose hip oil - I use Trilogy. I use it on face neck and chest. Last week a friend said,a propos of nothing, that my skin was looking amazingly good. She ordered her oil the next day!!

Teetime Mon 27-Apr-15 08:30:11

I think the best thing is to keep the area well moisturised and out of the sun. the skin here is very prone to burning and that will pronounce the wrinkles. I put lots of Liz Earle Sun protection on here for golf or windy walks.

glammanana Mon 27-Apr-15 08:50:42

I've used Superdrugs own Dry Skin Relief Cream for a couple of years now with good results up to now I blend it from face down to chest every morning and any dry skin is kept moisturised all day.
Also in hot weather a really high sun factor cream is a must I think even if not out in the sun directly that area is so easily caught by those rays.

annodomini Mon 27-Apr-15 09:19:56

janea, one of my mature students - a beauty counsellor in real life - told me that we should always massage cream upwards from chin to cheekbones. I did this from that day onwards. Don't know if it has made a difference. I might have looked even worse if I hadn't followed her advice.

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 10:58:01

That's how I think too, anno!

Treebee Mon 27-Apr-15 12:02:11

I get rashes from the sun on my neck (PLE) so I put factor 50 sunscreen on my neck and chest every day.
At night I've started using Time Bomb neck cream which is soothing and smells great.
On sunny days when I'm out I wear a buff around my neck which adds extra sun protection.
All this attention means when I don't have a rash my neck looks good!

cangran Mon 27-Apr-15 15:35:03

I get rashes on my neck (I think because of a bad sunburn many years ago) that seems to be triggered by a combination of sun + cream (even hypoallergenic sun cream/block). I use sun block but also wear a small cotton scarf when it's hot so not much skin is exposed.

tanith Mon 27-Apr-15 17:00:29

I need something to help with 'turkey' neck it gets worse every time I look at it... not so wrinkly just SAGGY!!! I have to try and ignore it or I would cry every time I look in the mirror.

NanaDenise Mon 27-Apr-15 17:09:15

I find taking my specs off before looking in the mirror wink really helps. I do use Boots No 7 serum and mature skin moisturiser on face and neck. I don't use any alcohol base perfume on my neck as I had a nasty red rash/sun damage reaction that took ages to fade.

flowerosed Mon 10-Aug-15 09:11:36

When I put skin care products on my face after washing my face, such as creams for moisturizing or wrinkle care, I always put them on my neck as well.

Grannyknot Mon 10-Aug-15 09:40:51

My mother (who had beautiful skin) used to tilt her head back and apply cream to her neck "as if it is a face" in a circular motion grin

I have a saggy neck problem too and I hate it. I've just bought a "roll on" neck serum from Avon that is meant to work wonders for tightening skin.I think I paid £18 for it.

Elegran Mon 10-Aug-15 10:52:11

I was always told that facial massage should be upward, too, to avoid dragging the skin down.

If your neck has always been treated the same as the rest of you exposed facial skin, it will look the same.

If your neck is looking wrinkly now you should have done all that massaging in of moisturiser then, when it was still smooth and young-looking, and used sunscreen on neck as well as face. (but never too late to start)

Granny23 Sat 05-Sep-15 11:51:39

As we can't wear polo neck tops all summer Well I suppose not but I do have some summery blouses with Mandarin collars which do the necessary cover up job. I am a great fan of polo necks and note that I could buy 5 or 6 simple polo neck tops for the price of some of the products mentioned here. Otherwise just wear a scarf, as most of my older friends do.