Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How often do you....

(37 Posts)
Teetime Thu 23-Jul-15 09:11:32

exfoliate your legs? I had a spa day yesterday and during the pedicure when my legs were being exfoliated the therapist said ' How often do you exfoliate your legs? Its recommended (she didn't say by whom or why) that you exfoliate twice a week. Well I never do just shave and cream. Do you?

Pittcity Thu 23-Jul-15 09:18:14

Shave and moisturise only here. I think salons try to make you think you should be doing something so that you spend more money with them.

Lona Thu 23-Jul-15 09:24:38

I do it as and when I feel inclined. The skin on my legs does get dryer these days, so I use a soft brush or a pair of exfoliation gloves, during a shower.
Then I moisturise if I remember!

tanith Thu 23-Jul-15 09:33:24

I use an apricot body scrub when I remember probably every couple of weeks otherwise I just shave them but I do moisturise every day as my legs are quite tanned and tend to be dry.

Alea Thu 23-Jul-15 09:34:08

blush blush
Oh dear, another of those things I never do. I had a wonderful pampering session/facial recently and when the therapist asked me about my " routine" started to tell her . . . . blush again, oops! apparently she meant * beauty routine*
#failedagain

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 09:52:41

Exfoliate the skin on the front of my legs and there wouldn't be any skin left! Quick whizz in the bath with DD's left-over razor when I think about it does me.

KatyK Thu 23-Jul-15 10:15:27

I never do that. Mind you, I think I will start. My legs are beginning to look crepey and wrinkly shock

merlotgran Thu 23-Jul-15 10:17:25

I've never had any hair on my legs. Lucky or weird?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 10:19:17

Weird

annodomini Thu 23-Jul-15 10:42:31

I moisturise feet and legs as well as arms because prolonged use of steroids makes the skin very thin and dry.

TriciaF Thu 23-Jul-15 11:28:56

What do you use to moisturise, annodomini? I have the same problem, my skin is paper-thin. And I don't take steroids.
My face skin is better because I use a cheap cream every night.
I shave my legs about once a week, I have horrible legs and keep them covered up.

Tegan Thu 23-Jul-15 11:37:09

My legs have never seen the light of day [at least, not since I was at school]. I just use Aveeno when I shower or bathe and sometimes use Aveeno cream afterwards. I've noticed that my legs an feet are getting dryer; hope it isn't a circulation thing. I shave my legs once in a blue moon. Have never had a spa day; must put it on my listofthingstodo [along with having a Kentucky Fried Chicken].

Anya Thu 23-Jul-15 12:28:34

I use Sanctury Spa Salt Scrub, gently, about once a week. It has some lovely oil in it so you don't need to moisurise once you've showered it off. Leaves legs and arms nice and soft.

I rarely shave as have very fine, blond hair on legs and not much of that. Never had hair in armpits.

ninathenana Thu 23-Jul-15 13:13:43

As I've got older I don't need to shave my legs or pits, hair just does not grow there now smile I use moisturising shower milk and one of those scrunchie nylon things. Then what ever body moisturiser I've had as a present.......
when I remember.

janeainsworth Thu 23-Jul-15 13:40:46

I just use the scrunchy nylon thing too.
Apparently the best exfoliator is an ordinary face flannel.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 13:51:24

Talking about scrunchy nylon things, I have found an old one the perfect thing for cleaning the washbasin - a squirt of detergent and and a swish around with that and the porcelain is sparkly clean. It gets into those bits around the taps and the plughole.

Teetime Thu 23-Jul-15 13:56:24

Tegan step away from the KFC you really do not need/want that but a spa day that's a different matter,smile

whitewave Thu 23-Jul-15 13:58:58

I'm with jing and in winter when I wear mostly trousers never!

rosesarered Thu 23-Jul-15 16:53:34

Never ever exfoliated legs.they seem to look fine.

rosesarered Thu 23-Jul-15 16:54:47

Thanks for that tip Elegran I will try it, I know that they clean the shower head wonderfully, with a bit of shampoo!

dustyangel Thu 23-Jul-15 17:26:20

Elegran I do the same thing with a scrunchy thing, I was just thinking about it when I read your post. I hadn't thought of the shower head though roses thankyou. smile

The only thing is I've had it for ages, it goes with the bathroom and is hanging next to the washbasin with air circulating round it. I doesn't smell at all, I've checked. But now I don't know whether to say to DD and family, "you do know I use that for cleaning, don't you?" hmm

I exfoliate when I remember, usually when I'm in a bath at DD's surrounded by her (and DGD's) assorted bath goodies.

Deedaa Thu 23-Jul-15 22:20:31

According to Trust Me I'm a Doctor on TV last night we are using far too much stuff on our skin and drying it out rather that moisturising it.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 22:54:45

Yes. And even "good old" aqueous cream has that laurel (sp?) sulphate stuff in it! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 22:55:32

lauryl

janerowena Fri 24-Jul-15 00:03:25

It's never entered my head to exfoliate my legs! Moisturise, yes. I think if you use fake tan you are meant to exfoliate first, but as I don't use it, it doesn't apply. My legs seem quite happy. Apart from the mosquito bite on one of them....