Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Jumpsuits!

(36 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 01-Oct-15 22:14:25

Yep. I bought one a few weeks ago from M & S and I love it! It's a lovely fabric with a sheen to it in navy blue, I wore it to an evening wedding. The last time I wore one I must have been about 30; 36 years ago.

Anyway this heading made me smile:

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/oct/02/jumpsuits-no-longer-for-the-daring-brave-or-those-willing-to-sit-mostly-naked-on-the-toilet?CMP=twt_gu

Grannyknot Thu 01-Oct-15 22:15:15

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/oct/02/jumpsuits-no-longer-for-the-daring-brave-or-those-willing-to-sit-mostly-naked-on-the-toilet?CMP=twt_gu

Grannyknot Thu 01-Oct-15 22:19:48

Here it is in case anyone is interested grin
www.marksandspencer.com/crossover-v-neck-jumpsuit/p/p22370784

BlackeyedSusan Thu 01-Oct-15 22:19:55

oh goodness, not again. bad enough first time round.

Pittcity Thu 01-Oct-15 22:26:19

They only have size 6 left.You have started a trend Grannyknot

Grannyknot Thu 01-Oct-15 22:35:36

Ooh, I didn't even see that.

I did curse it when I realised you can't exactly dash to the loo!

Coolgran65 Thu 01-Oct-15 23:32:10

Love it.
I wore one last in 1969 when I was aged 20....halter neck and flares.

suzied Fri 02-Oct-15 05:29:51

I have 2 jumpsuits, both made by me. One is black silk and perfect for an evening out, the other is is a pale blue viscose/ cotton and very cool in the summer. Easy and comfortable to wear and this compensates for the couple of minutes extra added to a loo trip.

Envious Fri 02-Oct-15 05:56:31

Some jumpsuits threaten to touch the bathroom floor! Not for me! shock

rosesarered Fri 02-Oct-15 09:06:03

Not just for Quick Fit Fitters then?

Grannyknot Fri 02-Oct-15 09:35:20

Suzie yours great. My own is actually more of a "midnight blue" than navy. I feel like a million dollars in it grin dressed up with a chunky silver necklace and the only pair I own heels.

Luckygirl Fri 02-Oct-15 10:16:40

No way - I need to pee too often to be bothered with that battle thank you very much!

KatyK Fri 02-Oct-15 10:39:53

I have a jumpsuit. It's lovely for holidays - sleeveless, floaty and cool. I also dress mine up with a chunky silver necklace smile

LullyDully Fri 02-Oct-15 11:20:25

Interesting in the loo I seem to remember.

Not unlike a rather smart culotte dress I had with about 7 buttons up the front and cuff buttons. Also worn with a droopy scarf.

Lovely until I needed the loo whilst out . So grateful if they had a hook on the door....if not had to hold the lot in my teeth.

The joys of being young!

loopylou Fri 02-Oct-15 11:27:35

I remember first time round too....trying to stop the jumpsuit legs touching the loo floor and as for the sitting there semi- naked blush

I was probably at least a stone lighter and could wear heels, not any more.

Teetime Fri 02-Oct-15 16:25:45

My sister plans to wear the M & S jumpsuit at my grandsons evening wedding party in November. I wore one on a plane to Portugal once many years ago- I was terrified the plane would crash and I would have the darned thing round my knees in the toilet. I used to think you needed to be tall to wear one but DD1 (who is officially a munchkin - I have two) wore one to a party a few years ago black silky material it had very wide legs- she accessorised well and it looked very nice and she danced all night in comfort.

shysal Fri 02-Oct-15 17:18:30

My 45 yr old DD1 is only 5ft tall and a size 12. She has a couple of jumpsuits and looks great in them, with well chosen accessories.
As for me - I am far too chunky, and yes, my bum would look too big in one.

Grannyknot Fri 02-Oct-15 17:37:30

I'm 5'3" and a 14. It didn't even occur to me that I may be too "rotund" grin to wear a jumpsuit!

hildajenniJ Fri 02-Oct-15 20:19:52

You're the same shape as me Grannyknot. I might have worn one when I was 5' 4" and a size 10, but not now! blush

NanSue Sat 03-Oct-15 10:35:49

I have a black one that I bought from M&Co a couple of years ago. I'm very short but as it's top to toe gives a nice line and actually makes me look taller and slimmer (so they tell me) and with a nice chunky gold coloured necklace or pretty scarf it's very stylish. There is no getting away from that darned loo problem tho.
suzied how I wish I was clever enough to make my own like you!

Mrsdof Sat 03-Oct-15 11:38:27

I've got one from Wallis in a sort of giraffe print (!) which I wore to a wedding last summer. I'm 5'5" and a size 12/14 and had lots of lovely compliments which really made me feel good, until I wanted to go to the loo which was a complete pain but hey I don't get compliments very often, so well worth the hassle. smile

Longdistancegrnny Sat 03-Oct-15 11:47:20

Loved them then, still love them now! Had some lovely cotton ones in bright colours when my children were small....imagine going to the loo wearing a jumpsuit with two small girls (also wearing jumpsuits) in a French squatter loo at a motorway service station! Now have one (M & S summer one in blue print material) and the loo is still a problem, especially if you add a belt! I am just under 5'3" and find most of the jumpsuits are made for people with longer bodies and are just too voluminous. Wish I had kept the ones I had!!

elena Sat 03-Oct-15 13:40:59

I think jumpsuits had two fashion moments, from what I remember.

I had one in 1969, flares and a halter neck like Coolgran's ( my Gran made it....I wonder if it was the same pattern?!). It was pale blue, slinky material and she made a long scarf to go with it. It was for the sixth form ball (I was in the lower sixth and it was my first big 'do').

The next time round was the early eighties, when I had a couple of boiler suit style jumpsuits. These were just worn every day.

I don't think they are very flattering unless you have a boyish figure (which I never did smile, at least not after age 13), but that M&S one linked to looks lovely on the model.

oldgoat Sat 03-Oct-15 19:38:13

The Guardian article on jumpsuits says they would be good for wearing to a picnic. I wouldn't fancy squatting behind a hedge wearing one!

hollystone Sun 04-Oct-15 00:42:45

I have a couple which I also wear with a chunky silver necklace. Being 5"2 in height i have the petite size version which is a perfect length.