Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair nits

(14 Posts)
riclorian Mon 08-Feb-16 19:04:31

A short while ago I read some advice about alleviating hair nits . I have trolled through post after post and can't find it .The advice was to use a home remedy and wrap head in towel for 4 hours ,I have forgotten the rest .My gd is continually coming home with them ,obviously a fellow pupil doesn't have diligent parents and so is infecting the class .My dil is finding the whole thing frustrating and expensive .So a big cry for HELP please.

f77ms Mon 08-Feb-16 19:29:58

Sorry I cannot help with the lost post but just wanted to say that my 2 GCs are continually getting them . I think it is the new policy of not allowing the children to be off school while they are treated and the absence of Nitty Nora the bug explorer ( the school nit nurse lol)
My own children only got them once in their school career , my grandchildren seem to get them once a month!

Jayh Mon 08-Feb-16 22:18:47

Boots sell a leave in spray which my daughter uses after my GD had a magnificent infection a few years back ( she has very thick hair). Also there is a long nit comb designed by parents which glides through the hair without tugging and catches the little bs very efficiently. I have also heard that using hair straighteners can be effective. Good luck.

mumofmadboys Mon 08-Feb-16 23:27:46

Try washing hair normally and using lots of hair conditioner. Use nit comb then and then rinse out. Repeat every two days. Conditioner makes the hair too slippery for the nits to cling to. Continue until no more nits found.

Flowerofthewest Tue 09-Feb-16 00:50:19

The little b.....s hate Tea-Tree oil. Shampoo and conditioner used after other nit treatments suggested will keep them at bay

Jayh Tue 09-Feb-16 09:48:46

Yes, my DGDs both have their hair washed in Tea Tree oil shampoo and conditioner. So far no reinfestation ( fingers crossed.).

TriciaF Tue 09-Feb-16 10:17:30

I had them as a child and Mum put liquid paraffin on my hair and wrapped my head in a towel for a whole day. It was so greasy, difficult to wash out - shock
By the way she had a job in a school as a nit searcher and she was called Nora!

Purpledaffodil Tue 09-Feb-16 10:23:32

I agree with Mumofmadboys. I taught in a school where they were horribly rife (Had one poor little soul who used to eat them when they crawled down her face. Yuk) Conditioner combed through every day we were told broke the lice' legs and stopped them reproducing. Fewer strong chemicals too!

Gagagran Tue 09-Feb-16 10:53:20

My Mum used to use "Derbac" soap on we five siblings if there was any scratching of heads. It smelled like creosote so has probably been long banned but it seemed to keep us free of the little blighters.

DotMH1901 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:08:43

I took my grandson to the barber last month and there was a large notice on the door to the effect that they would refuse to cut anyone's hair if they had a head lice infection. Agree with the other posters that it seems rife in schools today.

annsixty Tue 09-Feb-16 12:17:27

I cleared GD's head of them in a few days with a nit comb from Boots (a very good one but can't remember the name) and daily washing and using conditioner. I combed for several minutes each day until no more could be seen. Her mum would have had a fit. We had taken her on holiday and I just couldn't face taking a "lousy" child home.

J52 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:03:50

Years ago, 'Nora the Nit Nurse' told our PTA that the nit comb breaks their legs. Apparently they cannot breed without their legs. Best time was to do it before bed!

Exciting sex life of nits?

x

J52 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:05:08

Missed you post Purple, sorry to repeat it!

X

Purpledaffodil Thu 11-Feb-16 18:59:39

No problem J52. Pleased to see it verified! grin