Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tanning legs before holiday

(18 Posts)
chelseababy Wed 10-Feb-16 10:30:49

I'm off to the Caribbean on 22nd and have milk white legs (and other bits!) I'm wondering whether to have a salon tan (tried one before but wasn't happy with result on my legs where I have very dry skin) or to try one of those lotions that gradually built up the colour. Any suggestions?

Auntieflo Wed 10-Feb-16 11:28:43

Why not try the Johnson's one. It is gentle and gave me no reactions, and was easy to apply

jogginggirl Wed 10-Feb-16 12:00:18

You might like to try the Tropic one ... it is fabulous and organic - smells great too...

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 10-Feb-16 12:27:45

You've still got plenty of time, so I would start using one of the gradual tanners every day or second day, especially if you have dry skin. You should have a nice colour by the time you go and you can use it as aftersun when you're away too.

I'd recommend Garnier Summer Body Lotion Sun-Kissed which you can get in Boots or Superdrug in Light or Dark. I'm very fair and use Light, but the Dark isn't very dark so you won't go wrong with either. You can get the cream or the lotion and I use the cream on my arms and chest and the lotion on my legs, but that's only because I bought both when they were on offer and wasn't sure which would be better! Both are good! grin

aggie Wed 10-Feb-16 12:30:12

But remember you still need sun block when you get to the sun

chelseababy Wed 10-Feb-16 14:24:28

Thanks ladies will try a gradual build up lotion. Have just had a letter warning about Zika virus and advising on mozzie avoidance measures. Don't need to worry about pregnancy at my age!

rubysong Wed 10-Feb-16 14:50:27

Lotion with a hint of fake tan is good, I use it in the summer so I can go bare legged. Do let it dry though, I find it rubs off on the bed sheets a bit.

Teetime Wed 10-Feb-16 17:19:39

I use the Clarins self tan - soon I should think judging from my prison pallor. Have a wonderful trip Chelsea.

Coolgran65 Wed 10-Feb-16 19:44:33

I use the build up lotions, just make sure it doesn't build up on the palms of your hands. I use gloves and then just do the backs of my hands, rubbing the backs together.

phoenix Thu 11-Feb-16 17:32:59

Exfoliate first!

chelseababy Thu 11-Feb-16 17:54:28

Yes phoenix I will exfoliate and de hair before i start. Got a bargain in superdrug Garnier Summer Body £3.79 as recommended by Wilma. The tan begins tomorrow!

annodomini Thu 11-Feb-16 20:38:53

Do exfoliate your heels thoroughly . I wanted to go bare-legged at my DS's wedding but my Achilles area went very dark brown. Days of scrubbing were necessary. I think I even tried a Brillo pad, but not for long. shock

Mazzanic Thu 11-Feb-16 21:14:26

Vita Liberata mousse is brilliant. Doesn't last for 2-3 weeks as stated on box but is easy to top up and doesn't go streaky. Try toothpaste - (not for tanning!!!) - for getting rid of any dark patches.

Bralee Thu 11-Feb-16 21:55:20

Guerlain Self tanning gel which is only available from Debenhams, approx £37.00 but it is so natural. Don't be alarmed by dark colour on bottle. Also mozzies never come near me with Avon skin so soft dry oil body spray with citronella has always been great. I buy two from the Amazon site. Enjoy your holiday.

morethan2 Thu 11-Feb-16 22:17:00

It doesn't matter what I use. Fake tans make my legs look jaundiced. I'd have to reapply it daily and make sure it didn't streak even then it would be a mustard shade of yellow. Now that I'm older and don't care so much what people think. I don't bother. I just think to myself ". Even fat pale people are allowed to sit on the beach" it's my holidaying I want to relax. I would love my legs to tan naturally. I hope you have a fab holiday. Lucky you getting out of this hideous grey rain.

Coolgran65 Thu 11-Feb-16 22:58:16

I find my legs don't take as well as the rest of me. I just wear maxi dresses or linen trousers/palazzo pants making sure feet are well (false) tanned and toenails are nicely painted,

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 11-Feb-16 23:09:28

You can gets wipes for removing fake tan and I think you can use them to tidy up streaks or patches too. Boots do one and I've seen other makes too. I didn't know about toothpaste though, so Mazzanic thanks for the tip. flowers

rubylady Fri 12-Feb-16 06:03:36

I'm off to Morecambe next month. I don't need tan wipes, just some WD40 for the rust! grin