Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you think you've become more or less critical of your appearance as you've got older?

(85 Posts)
LizzynotBusy Fri 29-Jul-16 15:27:00

I think in some ways I've got more so in that I make much more of an effort to hide the wrinkles and marks whereas before I think I used to feel I could get away with it more easily. What do others think? In some ways I'm more accepting of areas I know will never change but I'm more critical (or at least vigilant) at looking after the bits that are still passable (by my standards anyway grin).

tanith Fri 29-Jul-16 15:29:38

Less for me I'm now comfortable in the skin I'm in and no longer worry about a bit of tire or wrinkle here and there I earned those wrinkles and I love my silver/grey hair . Life is too short to worry what others think I've decided.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 29-Jul-16 15:33:24

Never been too bothered what I look like, reasonably turned out most of the time, but my hair has always been my "thing" it gets thinner by the day, am now completely paranoid and almost counting each hair lost everyday, so am now telling myself to get a grip, as feel I could go over the edge, others have so much more to deal with!

Alima Fri 29-Jul-16 15:36:45

Never been that bothered either, silk purse/sows ear and all that. As long as I am clean though I would like to get my teeth sorted. The gap I have always had in my front teeth seems wider every year!

KatyK Fri 29-Jul-16 16:13:14

Definitely more. I was a teenager in the '60s and I was just the right shape for the fashions, mini skirts etc - tall, slim, long legs (not bragging, just saying). I loved all the clothes and thought I was the bees knees., Now I am not really slim, my hair has disappeared, my skin is blotchy and red, I have jowls. I hate buying clothes as nothing seems to look right and I can't wear lovely shoes as I have bunions. Nannylovesshopping - take it from someone who knows, hair loss is not trivial. It's all very well saying others have so much more to deal with, they do, but hair loss in women is soul destroying. Sorry to hijack the thread.

millymouge Fri 29-Jul-16 16:18:55

Much more critical about how I look. I have to be and then it offsets the bad bitsgrin

GandTea Fri 29-Jul-16 16:26:36

I went to pot after I got married, up until then I wore Saville Row suits, dress shirts, ties etc. Couldn't afford them after we got engaged (saving for a house, as you did in those days). My wedding suit was my last bespoke one, off the peg after they wore out. Now I am a slob.

grannylyn65 Fri 29-Jul-16 16:34:24

Less, simply don't care and have no-one who does !!!!!

KatyK Fri 29-Jul-16 16:41:21

Well I'm off to a party tonight and I'm going to look great. Shiny, sleek hair (not my own), lovely straight teeth (not my own), smooth skin (when plastered with every cover up known to woman, a slim fitting dress (hideous spanx type things underneath), sparkly modern shoes (with bunion pads and plasters galore) - I hope I don't have an accident and have to go to hospital - it will take them hours to unpack me. grin

PRINTMISS Fri 29-Jul-16 16:45:33

I am like Nanny I have never been too bothered, always liked to do my hair neatly, still do, but it is as fine and unruly as it ever was, so that has been a life long struggle. Don't wear make-up, a little bit of lippy, wouldn't know how to apply blusher, had a go with mascara, etc., bit scary. I don't think any of my friends would recognise me any other way. I always remember my uncle writing in my Autograph book. "A little bit of lipstick, a little bit of paint, makes our little dodo, look just what she ain't"

Cherrytree59 Fri 29-Jul-16 16:46:05

The (body) part that I mourn the loss of is...
Decent feet and Ankles sad

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Jul-16 17:17:05

Less. I'm comfortable in my own skin.

I always moisturise, wear perfume, dress comfortably in my own style. The fashion police hold no fear for me these days smile

grannylyn65 Fri 29-Jul-16 17:20:16

katyk gringringrin

KatyK Fri 29-Jul-16 17:34:20

To be honest, if I didn't try to make a joke of it I would probably never leave the house smile

LullyDully Fri 29-Jul-16 17:37:46

I used to think I was fat. Not by the photos, sadly.

Have given up now, but try my best.

kittylester Fri 29-Jul-16 17:38:28

Katy grin

It's funny but now I'm overweight and wrinkly, i am much less bothered than when I was slim and attractive, which I now see I was! I spent my time endlessly worrying about my hair, my make-up, my clothes etc etc.

Now, I am clean, I have got the hang of my hair, I smell nice, I wear a tiny bit of makeup, wear the clothes I like (with a nod to fashion) and I'm comfortable - in my skin and in my clothes and shoes.

So less critical!

rosesarered Fri 29-Jul-16 17:40:30

Same as Kitty smile

M0nica Fri 29-Jul-16 18:04:25

I have never been particularly critical of my appearance, although I have always been aware of my best and worst features; nice eyes and hair but lips that look like two sausages joined at the ends, and nothing much has changed, although the lips are now more like chipolatas than full size sausages.

I was brought up to believe that dressing with care and with pride in your appearance formed part of one's self respect, so whatever I wear, even just jeans and a Tshirt, it will be chosen with care. I have always taken care of my skin and still do. When I look in the mirror I am happy with my appearance, regardless of my age and all the signs of aging.

DanniRae Fri 29-Jul-16 18:25:07

Hi Katy, I hope you have a great time at the party. I bet you look lovely. I had to laugh about you being unwrapped if you end up in hospital though!!

Falconbird Fri 29-Jul-16 18:44:38

Up until about 6 months ago I thought I looked OK for my age but now at nearly 70 I can see new signs of ageing.

They say we change every 7 years so heaven knows what I'm changing into not an old dear I hope. smile

I want to look like Joanna Lumley but there's no chance of that.

DaphneBroon Fri 29-Jul-16 18:51:29

As long as I haven't got my glasses on I am fine, but my mental picture of how I look bears little resemblance to the dumpy little old lady looking back at me from shop windows!

DaphneBroon Fri 29-Jul-16 18:53:00

N&G "comfortable in my own skin"? More comfortable in clothes. grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Jul-16 19:04:42

Oh I don't know Daphne ????

gettingonabit Fri 29-Jul-16 19:08:52

I've always been hypercritical, never having felt comfortable with myself. I just obsess about different bits.

Grannyboots1 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:25:35

So have I gettingon a biit. I have worried about the state of my fine hair since aged 15. Now I have 'bingo' wings to worry about as well!! I never go out of the house without my make on and wearing decent clothes.