Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Jewellery

(82 Posts)
Teetime Sat 30-Jul-16 10:02:53

I was wondering if others Gransnetters would buy themselves a piece of jewellery. I know women who quite happily buy themselves a piece (leave aside costume jewellery) if they like it and can afford it. I have always felt I shouldn't do that. DH buys me nice things on birthdays and Christmas and it feels a bit indulgent to buy myself something. Would you buy yourself something if you could afford it or if it was extra lovely would you buy it if you couldn't/shouldn't afford it.

kittylester Sat 30-Jul-16 10:10:17

I wouldn't - it's DH's job! But, like you I know people who do. One friend buys herself diamond rings etc. I would feel strange doing it and embarrassed to be spending that much on myself but I rarely change my 'proper' jewellery much at all.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Jul-16 10:17:37

I can't. I just spend hours wandering round with my nose practically pressed up against jewellers' shop windows, looking longingly. I love jewellery. Buy it for the DDs, but never go above eighty pound-ish mark for myself. And rarely that much.

One day.....! shock

Mind you, a necklace I bought from M and S for around 25 quid recently, has given me loads of pleasure. Even if I did have to give the earrings to DD because I have never had my ears pierced. hmm

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 10:19:23

I wear a small pendant 24/7 that I bought with some of the money mum left.
I shopped for it myself but I like to think she bought it for me.
I certainly wouldn't buy myself a diamond ring. I have bought myself earings in the past but although they were gold they were less than £20.

Jane10 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:19:48

I've just bought myself an antique moonstone brooch. It was just lying there in the window of an old jewellers which was closing down. I simply couldn't leave it there poor thing. I don't have occasion to wear brooches but love moonstones and those old one were the best I'd ever seen. Just like raindrops. Lovely and worth every penny.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Jul-16 13:45:26

It's lovely just to own it isn't it? You don't have to wear it. grin

tanith Sat 30-Jul-16 14:17:27

I have bought myself some bits not very expensive but something I liked. OH won't buy me jewellery as he says I'm too fussy but he would happily pay for something I picked. We've never had money to spare for such things in the past and I suppose its habits of a lifetime that I wouldn't spend too much.

Galen Sat 30-Jul-16 14:23:13

As you know, I can't resist pearls!
( must confess, I've bought myself the odd diamond as well)
Darling daughter doesn't like jewellery, so I hope the dgds do when they get older.

seacliff Sat 30-Jul-16 14:33:09

I really like the Pandora silver birthstone rings, very simple and pretty, £40. I am tempted. I only have boys so not much chance they'll ever buy me one.

annsixty Sat 30-Jul-16 14:35:11

I would buy costume jewellery to go with a piece of clothing but never a proper piece.
I don't really wear much anyway just my wedding ring.

annsixty Sat 30-Jul-16 14:36:29

I tell myself " beauty doesn't need adorning" grin

kittylester Sat 30-Jul-16 15:48:57

Ann grin

I buy 'beads' for myself but spend no more£30.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 30-Jul-16 15:53:20

As befits my name, I would, if I wanted tosmile

Lona Sat 30-Jul-16 16:14:16

ann grin
I've had lots of jewellery in the past but I can't be bothered with much now. I do like earrings now my hair is short, but I only spend a few pounds on them. My dd bought me a Pandora bracelet and I have an old thick silver watch chain bracelet from my mum.
I think annsixty is right!

Greyduster Sat 30-Jul-16 16:48:01

I have quite a lot of good jewellery and hardly ever wear any of it. DH asked if I wanted something special for our fiftieth and I said no, because I would just put it away and not wear it, so we bought a pair of watercolours instead which I will get much more pleasure out of and so will he. The only pieces of jewellery I have bought for myself were a fused glass pendant that I saw at a craft fair; not expensive, but it just took my eye - and some cheapie beads to go with a top I wore once and sent to a charity shop. DH's two sisters gave me a lovely modern Blue John pendant when they visited last year. I think I've worn it twice.

Stansgran Sat 30-Jul-16 16:54:17

I've suddenly decided I like brooches. Necklaces draw attention to my neck these days.dh is happy to be able to find something I want.

Tegan Sat 30-Jul-16 17:26:34

I'm always buying myself jewellery even though I hardly ever wear it. I recently bought a crystal necklace from an antique/junk shop in Middleham to go with some crystal earrings I bought from a car boot sale many years ago. I'm going to buy myself a nice watch soon as no one in my family has ever noticed that the only one I wear is a cast off from my daughter. I think jewellery is a very personal taste and only I know what I really like. I'm always looking for rings that fit my fingers which now seem to change size constantly depending on how hot/cold it is.Oh, and I recently bought an old WI badge to replace one that I'd had years ago and lost. I'm so chuffed that I found it in a shop that was closing down and everything was half price. Maybe it's the one I lost [?].

J52 Sat 30-Jul-16 17:27:28

I must have been a Magpie in a previous life! I have liked jewellery since I had a Saturday job, for several years, in a jewellers. I have built up quite a collection, some of it inherited, some bought by DH and some bought by me! I do prefer older pre loved jewellery.

I do wear it, rotating pieces for a few months or the season. I'm glad I've got 3 GDs, 2 DILs and several Goddaughters, to pass it on to.

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 17:35:17

I'll tell you a secret H bought me some ruby earings last year for our anniversary............

I don't like them sad and I think he paid quiet a bit for them. I wore them on the day and that's it. My excuse is the catches are very fiddly, which they are.

Tegan Sat 30-Jul-16 17:35:28

I'm so glad I've now got a granddaughter who might, in years to come enjoy looking at grannies 'family jewels'. When I was at primary school we used to 'swap' jewels; I think a lot of people must have made their own paste jewellery and some of us girls had little matchboxes that we kept our 'jewels' in. I was never a 'girlie girl' but I loved those little diamonds, rubies etc.

whitewave Sat 30-Jul-16 17:54:26

I do have some good pieces like pearl necklace or gold and emerald necklace, and diamond earrings plus other stuff. But I get just as much pleasure from costume jewellery. In fact I have some earrings I picked up in Sainsburys for £3 and every single time I've worn them someone has commented on them. I have a necklace like that as well I bought in M&S sale.

Ana Sat 30-Jul-16 18:28:51

I do think it's rather old-fashioned to consider the buying of jewellery for a married woman to be the responsibility of the husband. As you say, Nina, sometimes tastes don't coincide, and why should you have to wear something you don't like?

Neither of mine bought me any jewellery apart from the engagement rings, which we chose together. I've always bought my own (never very expensive - I'd worry about losing it!).

MargaretX Sat 30-Jul-16 18:40:01

I bought some lovely drop earrings in John Lewis. They suited my face somehow and when I bought them I asked the sales girl what jewel they were.
She opened a big file and looked it up. 'they're plastic' she said. But I still love them!

Juggernaut Sat 30-Jul-16 19:14:22

If I see a piece of jewellery I love, and I can afford it, I buy it!
DH does also buy me jewellery, but he's not allowed to shop for it without DS accompanying him as even after thirty five years he still gets it wrong, sometimes in quite spectacular fashion!
Years ago he bought me a gold locket for Christmas, I'd been dropping hints about it for months, so come Christmas morning was delighted to see the box with the jeweller's name on, but when I opened the box it was a locket all right, but a totally different design! I hated it on sight, and to this day I still detest it!
I know I should have told him it was wrong, taken it back and exchanged it for the correct one, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I wear it, and hate it every time, and he still thinks I like it!
I have a lot of jewellery, inherited from my mum, my mum in law and my paternal grandmother. The most treasured of my inherited jewellery is my great grandmother's engagement ring, it's from Tiffany, bought in 1887 in New York. It's been passed down from Great Gran, Nana, Mum and now it's mine! It's far too small for my fingers, but I don't want it 'messed about with' and enlarged, so I wear it on a chain as a pendant.

TerriBull Sat 30-Jul-16 19:19:59

I buy myself earings from time to time, last pair were pearls. I'd really love to wear drop earings or costume type clip on ones, but my skin won't stand for it unfortunately sad