Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Jamaica Inn

(106 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 21-Apr-14 21:39:43

Anyone watching? I love this book and have been anticipating watching the series with enjoyment, but the sound is terrible - music drowning out conversation, actors mumbling or muffled sound. Looked on the BBC feedback and see others have the same complaint. I hope it bucks up!

Lilygran Mon 21-Apr-14 21:44:04

Also entirely in the dark. Can't see, can't make out whatbthevactors are mumbling. It's like Cold Comfort Farm without the humour.

Ana Mon 21-Apr-14 21:46:05

Gave up - too dark and turgid!

Aka Mon 21-Apr-14 21:46:52

Just given up too.

whenim64 Mon 21-Apr-14 21:48:27

I'm giving up on it - what a complete waste!

Nonu Mon 21-Apr-14 21:56:54

Frankley never started, as DD & family have just driven to Harwich , to sail to Hook of Holland, just had photos of them on bunks, all very exciting.
They will be there in the morning at 7.30

Treebee Mon 21-Apr-14 21:58:05

Well, it's on, but I've given up on it too. Can't make out what they're saying either. Open your mouth, silly man!

whenim64 Mon 21-Apr-14 21:59:54

Twitter is full of complaints about the mumbling.

grumppa Mon 21-Apr-14 22:06:07

Inaudible, invisible, God only knows what was going on.

Mind you, Endeavour last night was just as badly lit.

Atqui Mon 21-Apr-14 22:06:26

Terrible! Needed subtitles!

Aka Mon 21-Apr-14 22:08:34

I did turn the subtitles on but still gave up. Dire.

merlotgran Mon 21-Apr-14 22:10:08

Such a shame. I was really looking forward to it. Couldn't understand a bloody word. angry

janeainsworth Mon 21-Apr-14 22:25:04

We recorded it and watched BBC4 instead - fantastic programme about music in Britain in the 18th century and how it reflected and encouraged social change.
Mishap I was wondering if you were watching it, there was a lot about choirs and community singing.
Don't think I'll bother watching Jamaica Inn after all!

NfkDumpling Mon 21-Apr-14 22:29:09

I'd looked forward to Jamaica Inn, it's a great story. Sean Harris (Joss) is well cast but he does talk through his nose! I had trouble understanding him in The Borgias but this is worse.
Turning the room lights down made it more visible but turning the sound up did nothing to help decipher the Mumbling. I'm so relieved others had problems comprehending the speech. I thought it may just have been the interference from my tinnitus.

NfkDumpling Mon 21-Apr-14 22:30:00

(how do you turn subtitles on?)

Lona Mon 21-Apr-14 22:32:01

I couldn't hear it very well, but I could see it clearly. I loved it anyway.

HollyDaze Mon 21-Apr-14 22:40:05

I was looking forward to this but only stuck with it for about 25 minutes - thoroughly depressing. I didn't have a problem hearing them but part of me wishes I did.

I have checked on youtube and I shall try watching Alfred Hitcock's version instead with Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara and hope that doesn't leave me feeling I want to reach for anti-depressants.

Anne58 Mon 21-Apr-14 23:00:02

Meant to watch it and then didn't. Doesn't seem as if I've missed much.

I get very frustrated with things where a lot goes in the dark, also frustrated if I'm straining to hear.

My comments are perhaps unfair as I haven't seen it, but I was just remarking on the comments that have already been made.

Lona Mon 21-Apr-14 23:02:03

Holly The Hitchcock version isn't true to the book unlike this tv version.
Just saying.

MiniMouse Mon 21-Apr-14 23:02:32

Oh, I'm so relieved others feel the same as I do! I stuck through it, but only because I refused to give in, but was so disappointed. Same as others have said, muffled sound, dismal and too dark to see what was happening. I'd been so looking forward to this. Just hoping episode 2 is better!

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Apr-14 23:17:46

I gave up as well for the same reasons as most of you. Too dark, too mumbled, couldn't hear what they were saying. The whole "action" was too slow. Too much time wasted wandering about the Cornish countryside looking soulful.

I think the dark sinister mood setting was over played to the extent of becoming ridiculous.
What is it with BBC drama lately The Crimson Fields and this both seem to be very disappointing.

No more thank you. If you get put off in the first 15 to 20 minutes there is little hope.

ninathenana Tue 22-Apr-14 01:06:04

I gave up too. Dark and dreary. Lots of walking across hills and not much else. I lasted 35mins then turned to the Tommy Cooper story.

felice Tue 22-Apr-14 07:18:19

I am glad I am not the only one who disliked this, the music was driving me nuts within minutes, pity as I love the story. Wouls love to know how Mary-Ellens clothes went from being muddy and wet to clean and dry in the same scene, even when she came out of the bog, and her shoes seemed fine too ?????

Sook Tue 22-Apr-14 07:56:09

Although I had been looking forward to it I thought it was dreadful. Far too dark and totally boring.

PRINTMISS Tue 22-Apr-14 08:01:59

It was DIRE! I had been looking forward to it too, but dark picture, indecipherable speaking and very little thought. Ah! well, back to the drawing board. Nfk you should have a button on your control with 'sbtl' and a sort of wavy line on it which ought to bring up the sub-titles for you. Press it again when you do not want the subtitling on. Hope that works.