Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Peaky Blinders

(76 Posts)
Tegan Thu 12-Sep-13 22:22:01

Anyone watching? I know it's a bit violent but I was hooked from the minute it started. Brum, Cillian Murphy [what a beautiful face] a gorgeous black racehorses, an illegal bookies [my world blush] music by Nick Cave [this really was in the first minute!] and then they went on to talk about 'going up the cut' etc etc. Spaghetti western set in Brummigam; what's not to like smile.

merlotgran Thu 12-Sep-13 22:25:37

I loved Peaky Blinders and then The Guilty on ITV+1. Good drama!!

ninathenana Fri 13-Sep-13 08:50:53

Decided it would be to violent for me.

KatyK Fri 13-Sep-13 08:59:28

I loved it but as a Brummie I just wish that they would use some Brummie actors, there must be some somewhere. No one ever seems to be able to
get the accent right confused. It was good though and lovely to see something about Birmingham for a change. Can't think of much since Crossroads!

kittylester Fri 13-Sep-13 09:47:09

I can't watch either of those programmes - I'm just a sensitive soul! grin

Tegan Fri 13-Sep-13 13:24:56

I thought the lady did a good accent [Aunt Polly?]. And there was a young boy in one scene that had a proper accent [he must have ben local]. Supposedly a lot of it was filmed at the Black Country Museum and Yorkshire [Yorkshire confused?]. Maybe Brum will become fashionable one day? I spoke to some people at a depot in Birmingham yesterday and told them how much I'd miss dealing with them when I finish work; they are a joy to work with! I can't wait to go to Birmingham for day trips when I retire [8 days now!!]. Given that I couldn't wait to leave when I was 17, I love the place now.

KatyK Fri 13-Sep-13 13:40:20

Tegan - I suppose I've got a bit of a thing about the accent. Folks have tended to take the mickey out of our accent over the years so I am a bit touchy ! Don't know if you have been or have thought of going to the Birmingham Back to Back Houses, owned by the National Trust. They are opposite the Birmingham Hippodrome, quite a fascinating little tour. And they are next door to an old fashioned sweet shop where you can buy kali (if that's the correct spelling) and a liquorish stick to dip in it ! And the area up by the canals is lovely My DH has been into the new library this morning and said it is fantastic. They have a garden on one of the floors from where you can see the whole of the city. Perhaps I should get a job with the Brum tourist board. smile

Tegan Fri 13-Sep-13 13:54:22

I went to see a CS Lewis play when the kids were small and the gormless person in it was given a Brummie accent; that annoyed me angry. Yes; the back to backs are on my tick list..I grew up in one smile. Do you ever go on the Ted Rudge site that shows photos of old Birmingham? I grew up in Hockley and I had to stop looking at the site because I felt so melancholy. Black Patch Park and The Flats [where we used to go shopping].I've just phoned up my cousin who lives in Bordesley Green to warn him that I'm going to visit in a few weeks. Always remember going past Saltley Gas works on the bus when we used to visit them. Also going to Warstone Lane Cemetary where my family are buried [bit morbid that, but we used to go all the time when I was little].

KatyK Fri 13-Sep-13 14:13:31

No never been to the Ted Rudge site but will now. Sturdy shoes required for the back to backs and lots of steep stairs so not suitable for those not good on their feet. I was brought up around Saltley. My mother used to bribe me
with sixpence to take an old pram to Saltley Gas Works to get coke for the fire. I used to be mortified in case I saw anyone from school ! We used to sit on the bridge at Saltley Viaduct and watch the steam trains go by.

HildaW Fri 13-Sep-13 16:10:28

NOt really the done thing - to employ actors for a part on a geographical basis, or to expect them to use only their 'natural' voice. That would hardly be acting.

Tegan Fri 13-Sep-13 16:22:59

Worked ok for Michael Caine for several decades wink....

KatyK Fri 13-Sep-13 16:31:41

Tegan - How true!

HildaW Fri 13-Sep-13 16:36:21

Think all bets are off for certain big stars....but where would one recruit Aliens from? wink

KatyK Fri 11-Oct-13 13:16:27

Now that I have learned to ignore the lack of Brummie accents and the few that there are being really dodgy (as a Brummie myself), I have become totally obsessed with Peaky Blinders! I find it really atmospheric and I am sorry that next week's is the last one. sad

glammanana Fri 11-Oct-13 13:37:17

I love Peaky Blinders and have watched it from the beginning I think the acting is brilliant and I too will miss it when it finishes next week,wonder if they will do a series 2.?

Tegan Fri 11-Oct-13 13:45:21

I think there is a second series. Watching it last night I started to wonder if it was the last episode and I'd miscounted. I've got a bad feeling about next week but think I've got an idea of what might happen wink.

Tegan Fri 11-Oct-13 13:55:04

I do have one critiscism though, and that is that Tommy's brother looks so old [older than his dad in fact]. But [hurrah] there is going to be a second series and, possibly even a third grin. On the subject of the accent they pointed out that in 1919 the Brummie accent was still a work in progress. When you think about it, Brum probably grew quicker than any other town/city in the country [could be wrong about this but had a list of increases in population once and I'm sure Brum was near the top of that list]. Series is going to be shown in America as well so may be a wave of tourists soon. And why not. Love the place! [biased]

kittylester Fri 11-Oct-13 16:42:52

Will they have to do sub-titles for America, I wonder?

KatyK Fri 11-Oct-13 17:06:36

Tegan. I said to DH last night, this must be the last one. He said no there's one more. It was all looking too lovely at the end of last night's so I too have a bad feeling about next week's. I realise I have got a 'thing' about the accent. Over the years not many have got it right, surely there must be some actors who are actually Brummies out there. There is an article in today's Birmingham Mail (online) about the real Billy Kimber - quite fascinating.
I didn't realise he was a real person.I can't do links otherwise I would have put one here ! Glad there will be another series.

POGS Fri 11-Oct-13 17:31:10

I love Peaky Blinders too. I am surprised how much I enjoy the simple music that accompanies it. As mentioned before, very atmospheric.

Is it me or is Billy handsome in some shots and not so in others, I think it's his eyes. To think it's based on truth!

Pleased to know there will be another series, thanks.

Tegan Fri 11-Oct-13 17:59:50

I hope not kitty. When programmes need subtitles for the American audience they just remake them in American [apologies to Americans but think Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Let the Right One In]. Just watched an interview with Cillian Murphy talking in his 'proper' acent and am even more besotted. He was on R6 the other week playing his favourite music [he's in a band as well]. The music makes the series. Nick Cave loves it, as does Jack White. They couldn't have chosen better tracks to play.

Tegan Thu 17-Oct-13 22:43:40

Anyone just watch the last episode? Think I need an 'idiots guide' to explain to me what's happened, though. Wonder if there's a Guardian blog about it?

merlotgran Thu 17-Oct-13 22:49:10

I didn't expect a happy ending but there might be some on here who haven't seen it yet so I'll keep quiet.

Tegan Thu 17-Oct-13 22:57:35

There is a Guardian blog thank goodness! Not on episode 6 but at least I now understand what happened last week. And I have an idea about tonight wink.

merlotgran Thu 17-Oct-13 23:07:46

I think the Tommy and Grace love story will run into the next series despite the ending which could be a red herring.

And I loved the music.