Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Big School

(15 Posts)
NanKate Sat 06-Sep-14 21:25:03

What a laugh - such good performances from Catherine Tate, David Walliams and Philip Glenister. Even my DH laughs so it must be funny hmm

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 22:35:25

Sorry, but I think this series is even worse than the last - turned it off after the first ten mins!

ninathenana Sun 07-Sep-14 00:11:48

Absolute tosh !! IMHO

NanKate Sun 07-Sep-14 07:18:52

No problem you two, I just laughed from beginning to end, particularly at the dissolute sports teacher who is so like my son's BinL - we thought he could be moonlighting as an actor. grin

rubysong Sun 07-Sep-14 21:01:36

We're enjoying Big School also. Yes, it is tosh but it is funny tosh and as such it makes us laugh and does us good.

absentgrandma Sun 07-Sep-14 22:27:31

After the depressing news we are drip-fed everyday, and the crap rubbish programmes the Beeb continues to churn out, Big School, as Rubysong so rightly says is tosh but at least it makes me laugh, especially the sexually repressed, alcoholic head teacher... the perenially divine Frances de la Tour. Not forgetting the equally divine Phillip Glennister (be still my beating heart, you silly old foolblush). "This year I am teaching geo-gruffy" He can teach me 'geo-gruffy' any day of the week.

Going to bed now before I get over- excitedblush

PRINTMISS Mon 08-Sep-14 07:27:01

We only watched the first episode and decided that it was total rubbish, so have not watched any more, except the odd excerpt for advertising purposes which have not altered our opinion. However, if it makes people laugh that can't be a bad thing, can it?

feetlebaum Mon 08-Sep-14 08:10:48

Frances de a Tour is wonderful in this (as in every) part.

feetlebaum Thu 18-Sep-14 15:50:50

Watched it again (recorded) last night... laughed immoderately. What do you lot want in a sit-com - Ibsen?

Mishap Thu 18-Sep-14 16:03:16

Never watch it as Walliams gives me terminal creeps! Glad you are enjoying it.

NanKate Thu 18-Sep-14 16:30:40

Absentgrandma I've heard rumours about you and Phillip G. grin

He is what my mum would have called 'a bit of rough' but I have to admit he has a certain charm, particularly in Life on Mars or whatever it was called.

I agree Feetle Frances de la Tour has never given a bad performance IMO. Do you remember Irene Handle and the actress in the 'Ladykillers' they knew how to make one laugh. Oh and the one who used to say 'She knows you know' - happy days.

absentgrandma Thu 18-Sep-14 17:13:43

'Tis just a rumour I'm sorry to say NanKate. Yes he can play the 'bad boy', but I first fell for him when he played the gentle William Dobbin in a BBC adaptation of Vanity Fair, and then the equally quiet and thoughtful estate manager - Mr Carter- in Cranford,another great BBC production. They don't make 'em like that anymore! Classic adaptations I mean, not actors like PG.

I still love him even ,when he plays the male chauvenist ...'Fire up the Quatro' .... 'Make us a brew luv'.

Anyone interested in connections? His brother is Robert Glenister (Hussle) and his ex-SIL is Amanda Redman (New Tricks). Ooh I'm in danger of turning into a stalker blush

merlotgran Thu 18-Sep-14 17:20:39

Another likeable character he played was William Stafford, the second husband of Mary Boleyn in the TV adaptation of The Other Boleyn Girl.

He does kind and gentle very well indeed.

NanKate Fri 19-Sep-14 20:00:01

Tonight's episode should be good when the Ofsted Inspectors arrive.

kittylester Sat 20-Sep-14 11:08:37

Not watching Big School but I love PG!! grin I loved him in Cranford too!