Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Fall

(35 Posts)
NanKate Thu 11-Dec-14 15:00:41

I have recorded the series so far, in your opinion is it worth watching please?

tanith Thu 11-Dec-14 15:17:20

Yes NanKate I've really enjoyed it so far..

Grannyknot Thu 11-Dec-14 16:04:37

Yes but have you watched Series 1? Otherwise it won't make sense.

NanKate Thu 11-Dec-14 16:23:59

No I haven't seen series 1 - is it possible to give me a brief overview. I am a quick learner, well I was about 20 years ago. tchconfused

tanith Thu 11-Dec-14 16:25:42

Oh really I thought you meant you'd already watched Series 1 , its a bit complicated to explain it briefly..

Ana Thu 11-Dec-14 16:30:04

I thought Series 1 was much better. You're right, tanith, hard to explain - did they give a quick recap before the start of this one, I can't remember?

crun Thu 11-Dec-14 16:40:39

The Fall

tanith Thu 11-Dec-14 17:05:43

Yes you are right Ana there was a bit of recap in the first episode...

NanKate Thu 11-Dec-14 17:10:38

Thanks Crun I have just read the overview you kindly posted.

merlotgran Thu 18-Dec-14 23:16:00

Very good but does he die in her arms?? hmm

Another series?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Dec-14 08:44:54

I only got halfway through last night's episode as was on GN too long and had to watch on catch-up! I think it's been very good so far.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Dec-14 08:45:19

I'd better stay away from this thread for now!

Kiora Fri 19-Dec-14 08:55:30

Really scary. Especially the violent husband scene. I still wished for a really good explosive ending to the whole series. I run out of steam if series go on to long....perhaps I'm just impatient. It's been really good nail biting stuff though

Ana Fri 19-Dec-14 10:27:16

Presumably not, merlot, if there's going to be yet another series!

I was really hoping last night's finale would be the end of it...

Ana Fri 19-Dec-14 10:29:56

And why did Gillian Anderson's character have to go wandering off in the forest on her own? Yes as soon as she asked for a crowbar, an obliging police officer appeared instantly at her side... confused

tanith Fri 19-Dec-14 14:00:11

I thought it came together quite well at the end and enjoyed the series.. but I do agree about her wandering around alone and also she was in the interview room alone with a known serial killer! REALLY!!! like that would ever happen but I suppose it wouldn't of worked so well if there were a couple of burly coppers looking over her shoulder..

tanith Fri 19-Dec-14 14:01:43

I meant to ask as I think I missed a bit did Paul Spectre have sex with the wife of his murderer? Or was he killed for something he actually didn't do?

crun Fri 19-Dec-14 14:10:43

"And why did Gillian Anderson's character have to go wandering off in the forest on her own?"

If there was vehicle access to the location where the car had been abandoned, why didn't they just drive there?

It always amuses me the way SOCOs get dressed in nylon overalls before the enter the crime scene, but the lead characters walk in there wearing civvies, and start pawing everything.

Then there's Silent Witness, they'll handle a Dictaphone with gloves that have just been rummaging in a stiff, and then take the gloves off and pick up the Dictaphone again.

Teetime Fri 19-Dec-14 14:24:27

I am going to start speaking in an enigmatically low and slow voice wearing lots of lip gloss and dangling my hair in front of my face to see if people find me fascinating. Totally predictable end I thought.

anniezzz09 Fri 19-Dec-14 14:35:57

Very creepy. Worth watching as long as you don't ask too many questions like the ones the previous posters have made. All too easy to pick holes once you start, I imagine the real police watching this and laughing.

Some of it was very unpleasant and I did wonder just a bit if there was some voyeurism in the scenes of the killer with his victims. There was some frightening violence too, probably that's the norm these days from the little bits of similar films and series I've watched.

If you're a fan of The Bridge or Spiral, it's a bit like that but not as good.

Grannyknot Fri 19-Dec-14 15:00:20

teetime lol. My husband kept asking "Why is she speaking funny?"

I thought it was good though for the genre. Couldn't quite work out re the domestic violence subplot but it was tied in quite neatly (albeit predictably) at the end.

tanith Fri 19-Dec-14 15:02:00

Can anyone answer my question? please its bugging me now.

Grannyknot Fri 19-Dec-14 15:19:19

tanith I don't think/believe that he did ... and that character Jimmy was irrationally jealous.

Ana Fri 19-Dec-14 15:24:04

And let's not forget, Spector's not actually dead yet...

Granart Fri 19-Dec-14 15:26:17

Tanith he went upstairs with her to look at her dead sons bedroom and she asked him to hold her which he did. And that was all.
I thought it was an appropriate ending for a series that focused so much on emotions. The plot was somewhat questionable as ever with police dramas but I thought the depth of emotion that it explored was different and interesting. I hope there is a third series.