Gransnet forums

Travel

Oh dear..more tube strikes!

(11 Posts)
Penstemmon Thu 17-Apr-14 22:35:55

More trouble for London commuters and tourists! I have sympathy with the people who argue that it is yet another reduction in jobs. It is a struggle to find work as it is without another 4-500 going. Everywhere is reducing the 'need' for people on the job: automated ticked machines/ self service checkouts etc. but at the same time there is anger at the high cost of unemployment benefit.....

Not sure why grown ups cannot talk this through.

durhamjen Thu 17-Apr-14 22:39:30

It's called efficiency, Penstemmon, which means more profits for the shareholders.

Penstemmon Fri 18-Apr-14 11:33:26

Sadly that is often the motivation.... never mind the greater good!

Eloethan Fri 18-Apr-14 13:58:34

On the subject of ticket machines ....

I went to see my mum the other day and instead of buying my day return ticket from the ticket office at my local station, I waited until I got to Liverpool Street. I tapped in my requirement and the sum of £30 came up. I asked a member of staff why £30 was coming up rather than the £20 that I usually pay. I explained that I have a Freedom Pass (which allows a discount but this still doesn't account for the £10 difference) and he said "Oh, you can't do it on here then, you'll have to get it at the ticket office" - which I did, and paid the usual £20.

I realise that this was for overground, rather than tube, travel. But it did make me think that machines are all very well but they are inflexible and you can't ask them questions.

I also think that in an almost deserted station at night, someone sitting in a ticket office provides some sort of reassurance. And what about people with poor eyesight, people with a learning disability, or elderly people who are not so comfortable with technology?

durhamjen Fri 18-Apr-14 14:25:30

Maybe they are just not supposed to travel on trains Eloethan.

I went to Shildon NRM last Monday with my grandson. He likes sitting on the platform and watching the trains go past to Bishop Auckland or to Saltburn in the other direction.
Out of 19 stations on the line, there are only 3 with disabled assistance available, Darlington, Middlesborough and Redcar. Not even Bishop Auckland.

goldengirl Fri 18-Apr-14 17:22:18

I'm meant to be at a meeting that day angry
Strikes affect loads of people who can't do anything about the situation. Strikers are attacking the wrong people!

durhamjen Fri 18-Apr-14 17:56:34

If they do not go on strike, though, goldengirl, nobody takes any notice of them. About the only right the worker has left is the right to withdraw his/her labour. Even lawyers are realising that.
There was a case in the northeast of an 81 year old man accused of murder. He was given a lawyer to represent him, but nobody from the firm turned up in court for him because he was refused legal aid. The judge was not amused. He apologised for having to keep him on remand, and assured him he would sort it out so he could get bail.

Penstemmon Fri 18-Apr-14 17:56:53

It is a bloody nuisance Goldengirl

The public need to share the anger between those striking and the managers . It takes two to quarrel and strike is the only 'power' one side has.

yogagran Fri 18-Apr-14 21:16:37

Which day are they striking Penstemmon?

Penstemmon Sat 19-Apr-14 17:21:24

I am not sure but five days were mentioned in the news report.

yogagran Sat 19-Apr-14 19:59:51

I really hope that one of them is not next Wednesday sad