Gransnet forums

Travel

Obese Passenger

(230 Posts)
Blondehedgehog Fri 23-Sep-16 14:29:43

'A disgruntled flyer is suing Emirates airline and claiming his nine-hour flight was 'ruined' by an obese passenger seated next to him.' (title from Daily Mail)

I had the same trouble and sent this ode to the airline I used via FB.

I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, my brand new passport passed scrutiny on its very first time.
"Yes"!!!!
Every thing was going fine
Then, just about take off a shadow descended, I looked up and there a mountain had ascended
All light had been extinguished
My heart gave a flutter
The man by the window and myself looked at each other, OMG this humongous mass was expecting to sit between us!
I got out of my seat to let this 'thing' in.
As this mountain squeezed and grunted into the middle seat of the row
Fat from his body started move. Easing his body down into the seat, it started to grow....:-(
Over the arm rests squished the mass as he tried to become thinner by crossing his arms,
I tried to sit down, only a few inches were left for my arthritic body.
It was like sitting next to a sweaty brick
His seat belt extension duly arrived, the attendant could not look me in the eye.
'Pull out the table'! I said to myself at least claim some space before getting engulfed
The guy at the window chose alcohol instead, and downed plenty of gin to help get by
As the flight progressed no apology from this monster.
He snored, sniffed, and gobbled his food in a flash
He never moved
Not even venturing to the loo.....
About half way through the journey the guy at the window exploded.
He wanted to use his laptop but no room could he find to load it
Invasion of space was the cry of the day
Just a moment......! Our safety has been severely impeded
Still no apology from man or attendants
One was definitely expected and needed
No wonder United 26 staff hid away, at the end of a 7 hour flight
There was no happy smiles as the passengers disembarked
The dust can be seen as the staff scurried away
Yet....... still no apology came our way......

Has anyone had s similar experience?

SueinHull Thu 17-Nov-16 14:27:11

I agree with you BlueBelle. Some people are just cruel beyond belief. ie: Blondhedgehog!

Luckylegs9 Wed 16-Nov-16 06:07:02

I battle to stay at 11 stone, dread going on a plane and anyone very large sitting next to me. The seats are so small and it is horrible having what little space there is, taken over by really big people. Overweight unless it is a medical problem, is just eating too much of the wrong things. I should weigh a good stone and maybe more, lighter, but I love my food. Have to put the breaks on as I put weight on really quickly, so I know how difficult it is, but do it for the sake of my health. My sister developed so many medical problems as she got bigger, she put on 5 stone and always looked nice, but it took a terrible toll on her health, she has now lost 3 stone and she is so fed up on her diet, but her diabeties had improved and so has her joint pain, she is determined to do it.

gettingonabit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:28:23

Oh yes! I remember thinking the same thing..a case of "surgeon, heal thyself" if ever there was one.

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 20:25:55

It hadn't given the incentive to the pathologist, he was bigger than me.

gettingonabit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:11:26

The Post Mortem was a fab programme. So interesting. Unforgettable, and definitely an incentive to lose weight..

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 17:22:01

Having watched, I can only say OMG !!!!

seacliff Fri 30-Sep-16 16:16:42

Wobbly - at the risk of boring you with "yet another diet" - may be the blood sugar diet would suit you? It is quite high protein, fairly high fat and low carb. Sounds a bit like what Mamie does.

I am very overweight (at least 6 stone), and have struggled for years. It has been the easiest diet for me, and works quickly for many - and best of all I didn't have the usual cravings. I am an emotional eater. It IS a different way of life, you have to prepare food yourself, and spend time getting right foods in. Good luck.

But it may be worth you trying for a few weeks? What have you got to lose by trying it? There is a very supportive thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/.

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 16:02:53

I'm just watching "Obesity - The Post Mortem"

No comment --- YET, only just started.

Mamie Fri 30-Sep-16 12:37:31

Wobblybits my OH is also tall, heavily built and spent years travelling the world for work. He has arthritis and though he does a lot of work in the garden, he can't walk very far because of joint pain. For years he was borderline obese and developed high BP, high cholesterol and pre-diabetes.
We have been low-carbing for two and a half tears and it has been brilliant. He has lost three stones and kept it off, come out of pre-diabetes and his BP and cholesterol are down.
He can still enjoy beef marbled with fat, dry wine, cheese and eggs and bacon. Our daily diet is high in veg, olive oil, fish, lean meat, salads, avocados etc.
We don't have cakes, puddings or excessive amounts of fruit. We don't have rice, bread, potatoes or pasta except on very rare occasions.
We don't count calories or exercise to lose weight.
We have no trouble sticking to the diet.
It works.

Jalima Fri 30-Sep-16 12:25:42

I read that the body requires a certain amount of fats or oils otherwise the weight will not come off.

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 12:20:10

I made that sound as though i like a dollop of fat on my plate --- not quiet, but I do like my beef with a marbling of fat running through it, give me rib rather than top side.

I suspect most diets work, simply because they make you think what you are putting in your mouth and your intake goes down.

Tizliz Fri 30-Sep-16 11:42:58

WB if you like fat with your meals then low carbs high fat diet would suit you. My OH has lost 2 stone in 4 months, and I have rarely heard him complain he was hungry. There is another thread on GN about it.

Jalima Fri 30-Sep-16 11:26:20

Wobblybits We eat a healthy diet too but I find it difficult to lose weight and am worried now because I will be relatively inactive for a few weeks. I am sure that my tummy (sic) has got more wobbly in the past ten days.

Too much protein such as on the 5:2 diet makes me feel a bit sick but I am trying to strictly limit my intake of carbohydrates.
It's only in the last 10 or so years I have put on weight, I blame the medication hmm!

I thought that drastically cutting down on food puts your body into 'starvation mode' and it hangs on to whatever fat it has, perhaps that has been disproved now.

TriciaF Fri 30-Sep-16 11:07:28

I agree about protein filling you up.
I'm lucky because I don't put on weight easily, I think it's genetic, my parents, sister were all skinny . But I've had a few phases of being overweight and found that cheese is very filling.
I haven't got a sweet tooth either (apart from chocolate.) Prefer savoury.

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 09:18:58

There's a new thread on the go today with tips for losing weight.

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 09:15:19

It does make you appreciate your food more as well. Waking up the day after a fast day for a nice breakfast feels so good!

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 09:13:23

I know the 5:2 doesn't suit everyone (it made my DD1 feel ill), but if it suits you it's relatively painless. I personally find it easier if I just get by on drinks until teatime, when I have a decent meal. When I tried starting with a light breakfast, the hunger pangs kicked in.

Jane10 Fri 30-Sep-16 09:00:43

I agree. When doing my 2 fast days I found that protein based meals were much more sustaining than carb/veg ones. For breakfast on fast days 2 poached eggs and 2 tomatoes keep me feeling ok for the 9 hours until the next meal. Its really fine though. I don't feel headachy or faint. I just feel the benefit week on week.

Elegran Fri 30-Sep-16 08:56:57

No, instead of ** I am not really awake yet.

Elegran Fri 30-Sep-16 08:56:15

Use () insted of "" there.

Elegran Fri 30-Sep-16 08:55:47

I have heard recently that protein makes you feel fuller than fat or sugar does, so maybe a bit more meat (lean) wouldn't go amiss, (WB)?

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 08:16:11

I'm 71, just a few weeks ago, I was very active in the garden, re-roofed our summer house and was generally very busy
, I was losing weight without any change of diet or other habits. Since I have become inactive that loss has stopped and I will need to limit my intake. My basic diet is a good one, plenty of fresh veg/fruit and not too much meat, hardly any sugar and cake/biscuits limited to afternoon with tea. I will need to cut out alcohol and cakes completely. sad

We went on a weight management course, which was designed to provide a long term regime. Unlike most diets it concentrated on portion size but with relatively large portions of carbs to fill you up and prevent snacking between meals. Just need to get back to it. My negative is fat, I do like my meats to have fat, otherwise, IMO, they are not worth eating. I will have to look at his 5:2 system

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 07:42:24

I have unblocked you, Wobblybits, but there's no need to apologise. Your flowers are enough, now beautifully arranged in a cut glass vase (I wish grin).

Anyway, I hope the drugs are working now, and you're sound asleep.

Falconbird Fri 30-Sep-16 07:37:28

I had blood tests, blood pressure monitor for 24 hours and everything came back as normal. I had to see a Clinical Pharmacist and she said I could lose some weight. I was about a stone overweight. She said that older people (I'm nearly70) lose weight by lowering their calorie intake and not so much through exercise.

I thought this was a load of rubbish but as I'm phobic of anyone medical I just nodded and looked longingly at the door desperate to escape smile I went on my own diet, cutting out chocolate and crisps and continuing to walk as much as possible and that has worked.

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 05:23:37

The bmi of 30 as obese does not appear to make any allowance for physical frame. I don't know whether it is my genes or as a result of my skeleton developing to support my weight, but I do have a large frame. Due to ill health in my late 20's I lost a lot of weight and looked gaunt, but I was still 13 stone, overweight.
My older brother was very similar, but unlike me was supreamly fit, but he was still big.